Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times

Advertisements

I did do a search for this topic and was a little surprised no one asked about this before. How long do you use your razor blades? I used the razor that has 4 blades on the razor head to shave my face and tend to use them at least a month, if not several months before replacing them. I figure so long as the razor isn't damaged, they are fine. I do have to use more pressure to get the same results, but overall I'm satisfied with the results. When I do break down and replace my razor blade, I have to be very careful not to cut myself with the new sharp blades. How long do you use your razors for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I did do a search for this topic and was a little surprised no one asked about this before. How long do you use your razor blades? I used the razor that has 4 blades on the razor head to shave my face and tend to use them at least a month, if not several months before replacing them. I figure so long as the razor isn't damaged, they are fine. I do have to use more pressure to get the same results, but overall I'm satisfied with the results. When I do break down and replace my razor blade, I have to be very careful not to cut myself with the new sharp blades. How long do you use your razors for?
Is this the Fusion? That's what I use, I usually go six months or so before changing and I shave at least every other day. I've had a couple where the cartridge actually broke before the blades wore out. They're pretty expensive up front but it's well worth it.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:02 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I use a disposable Shick Xtreme 3 razor (best disposable razor i've ever used) and I give myself 3 shaves (head and face) before discarding. A pack of 8 cost me around $12.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 AM

200 posts, read 565,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I use a disposable Shick Xtreme 3 razor (best disposable razor i've ever used) and I give myself 3 shaves (head and face) before discarding. A pack of 8 cost me around $12.
I use the same razor as ^ ...but a 8 pack will last me anywhere from 8 months to a year. And I am a female that shaves 6 out of 7 days a week (Legs, underarm, and unmentionables). I don't buy the 'female specific' razors since I feel like razor companies make them less durable since they get more coverage use. The average day I will use a month or older razor. I wait until rust starts to build up on the edges of the razor before I throw them away (which takes a while)!

On special occasions (Which don't happen all that often in my loving marriage) I break out a new razor...and then put that once or twice used razor in roation for my daily razor

Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Dr Oz showed that if you clean and dry your razor between uses, you can go months on the same blade.

I have been doing that - it is totally true. Because mine lives in the shower, though, it only goes a few weeks...humidity, I guess.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I use the same one for at least a couple of months, and I shave my legs every day. My daughter drives me crazy because she changes her disposable razor once if not twice a week and she thinks it's ridiculous that I use mine for so long.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
At least a month, sometimes 6 weeks, and I use it everyday.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Dr. Oz is correct.

I will typically use a single cartridge (Mach 3 or Quattro) for several months until it feels like it is becoming difficult to use.

I do rinse it clean between uses, but let it air dry.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Id say one blade Probably lasts about 8 shaves in two months (once a week before the start of the work week).I use an electric shaver the other four days before work and when I'm off I dont shave. My skin needs a rest!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
In 1977 [maybe 78, I remember the duty station, I was there for two years and do not recall which year I did this] I bought a straight razor set. I paid around $6 for the razor, and $10 for a marble cup, a camel hair brush and a leather strop.

In 1992 I bought a replacement strop.

Maybe once a year I would need fresh soap for my cup. The cup is small and will not hold a full bar of soap, so I cut a bar of soap in half. So I guess I would go through one bar of soap every two years maybe.

In 2001 my razor was dropped on a hard marble floor and it shattered. I was given a new strop for it when I retired. Once retired I stopped shaving. I still have the marble cup and brush, and the new strop that has never been used.

To answer the OP, my last razor lasted 24~ years and cost me $6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living