U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:51 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yeah, but who wants a CRT tv?
We donated ours to a youth rec center, where they just used them to hook gaming consoles up, and nobody cared if it was a tube TV or flat screen, as long as it was free and would work with system hookups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 06:56 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
My dad refuses to upgrade to a flat panel, because none will fit the opening in his entertainment center (it won't accommodate the width of even the smaller screens; their CRT is more akin to a square than more oblong rectangle, unlike flat panels), and he refuses to replace that, too.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:01 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
We still have three CRT TVs in our house. I'm in no hurry to replace them, though one has a deteriorating picture. Frugal living or not though - if you enjoy TV I see no reason to replace the one you watch the most with a modern HD TV. Picture quality is so high today and you don't have to spend much to get it. Our old rear projection CRT set died several months ago and it was replaced with a Samsung plasma. OUTSTANDING picture quality and of course it is wall mounted now.

Modern flat panels, especially LCD models, don't use nearly as much electricity as a old CRT sets.

BTW - be sure to use a GOOD surge protector with any expensive electronics.
In fact, LCDs use about 1/4th as much electricity as an equivalent-sized tube set. At typical viewing rates (the average American household has the television on for about 8 hours per day) and electricity costs and with a medium-sized television, that will equate to $65+/year more to operate, say, a 32-inch tube set compared to an LCD set of the same size.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,532,416 times
I have no tv screen at all at home, I just use my computer. I don't watch tv or movie on an actual tv screen, just the computer screen is good enough for me.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:01 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
We still have two huge 32 and 27 inch million pound nonflat tvs. I don't know another word for nonflat. My husband is chomping at the bit to replace them. But I refuse to until they break. They are Sonys and over 10 years old so it may still be a while!
I replaced mine because I was tired of using a converter box with three remotes, plus I wanted to stream free TV from the internet, so I got an inexpensive one at KMart with an HDMI connection. The second bonus was that it was "plug and play" with a flat indoor antenna. I got 19 channels immediately.

It was the right decision for me. I don't watch that much TV, but when I do, I don't want to mess around.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:02 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,820,596 times
One tip for LED TV's. Turn down the brightness to the lowest acceptable level. These TV's have their brightness cranked up to 100% from the factory. Set that high, the LED backlighting WILL burn out in 2 or 3 years. This is the #1 reason new TV's don't last very long. The slightly older CFL backlit flat panels last MUCH longer.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 AM

1,572 posts, read 597,786 times
I have a 27" RCA that's built into a nice cabinet with a shelf for my VCR and DVD players. I also have a 13" Samsung with a mono speaker and a turn style on/off knob that doubles as volume control.
My main beef with the flat screens is VCR recordings are unwatchable on them, and I record all the shows I watch so I can FF commercials.

I don't understand the argument that CRT's are too heavy. Are you carrying it into the living room every time you want to watch TV? Mine sits in one spot for years. Weight is not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or