Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,008 times

Advertisements

I have an old TV that was in the room when I moved in.

When I moved out of the old place in 2009 I put a still working Zenith console type TV that had been in the family since about 1982 to the curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I would have but I moved, it was not worth the amount it would have cost to move it. It did make a nice TV for someone else.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Like-size tube TVs cost about $25 more a year to operate than LCD. I'm guessing though people who stick with tube TVs don't have anything larger than say 27in while the logical LCD upgrade would be to 32in. And I also assume people who still use tube TVs watch less TV than average. So I am sure the impact isn't as much, but with 32in flat screens available for $250 now you could earn back the difference in a decade and enjoy a better picture.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Like-size tube TVs cost about $25 more a year to operate than LCD. I'm guessing though people who stick with tube TVs don't have anything larger than say 27in while the logical LCD upgrade would be to 32in. And I also assume people who still use tube TVs watch less TV than average. So I am sure the impact isn't as much, but with 32in flat screens available for $250 now you could earn back the difference in a decade and enjoy a better picture.
1) Why get a new TV when the old one works great? Many of the "early adapters" (who gave me their old televisions) are on their second or third flat screen.

2) With the amount of heat that the flat screens throw off, it is really hard for me to believe that the old ones use more energy. Ditto as the friends in #1 saw their electric bill go up.

3) For all the so-called improvement in the video technology, I really don't see much difference between the CRT and flat screen except in reading text along the bottom on ESPN. I find that I can enjoy TV as much on the old set as the flat screens.

4) 90% of the time, I don't WATCH TV. It is on in the background while I am working on the computer. Modern television shows are like cotton candy. They really don't require a lot of attention.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:25 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,156 times
No flat screen for me,I like TV but it isn't worth spending that much and then I would have to get cable.I live in the boonies.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
I have a 32" console Quasar that I bought in 1988.
Works perfect.
Weighs a ton.
When I sell the house and leave the state, it's not going with me.

If it bites the dust before then, I have a 19" CRT that I can use.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I have one of each and the picture on the CRT TV is much better.

Are you aware that unless you pay extra to subscribe to high def TV from your cable or satellite company you do not get a clear picture on a flat-screen no matter how much you pay for it? The view on the flat screen is darker overall, the colors are not crisp, and it's a bit fuzzy as if it needs to be adjusted. Flat screens were made to operate on HD. Calculate how much more you'll have to pay monthly to subscribe to HD and tell your hub that needs to be added to the cost of the flat screen before you have the true picture of what a flat screen costs.

Don't get me wrong, if you're willing to pay for a high def subscription, then the flat screen has it all over the old TV. But you can't cheap out like I am doing right now and expect to get the same picture as someone who has both the set and the signal.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 PM

542 posts, read 691,909 times
I have a 14" Panasonic (nonflat, hah I like that word) that I got while in college ... maybe back in 1998. My parents gave me an older tv (20") I think they'd bought maybe in 1993, and I was pretty excited about the larger screen size, but after lugging it to my new place I discovered it no longer works. It's a nice decoration in my living room, though, where I plan on putting a newer tv whenever I get around to it. (Been three years, still haven't bought a new one!) I can't believe the Panasonic still works. I don't watch tv all that much so it's not that much of a problem having to sit close enough to see stuff, hah.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times
We didn't replace our tube TV's with flatscreens until the old ones broke. If the tube TV's still work I don't know why you would replace them. Just keep them until the die and then replace them. One bonus to that is that is the longer you go the cheaper the flat ones will get.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 AM

207 posts, read 445,328 times
one of our TV died which is why I have 1 flat screen and 1 monster old big screen tv (thank god the thing is on wheels, we could never pick it up...it was given to us by our inlaws when they moved to Florida..they had it for many years). While I am all for being frugal, I will say the picture is better on the flat screen. I do NOT have cable, I have an over the air antenna but the over the air channels are now all high definition. So while I have no plans to replace the monster until it dies...we do watch movies on the flat screen because the picture is so much better. Our in laws even commented on how good the picture was on our tv with just the antenna..they thought we had cable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living