Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:39 AM

8 posts, read 10,907 times

Advertisements

Have you checked to see what insurance options your local credit unions offer?

No, really. Some of them have health insurance agencies that they're connected with. It's done across multiple credit unions, so there's enough people to get buying discounts, kinda like big companies get. Never hurts to have comparison price quote from a non-profit like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you are fortunate enough to qualify... Medishare (not insurance) is one of MANY exemptions from ObamaCare. (the LEAST expensive ObamaCare option I have seen projected is estimated be $1700/ month for small family)
Thank you so much for referencing this! I had never heard of it. My plan has been to restrict my income (once Obamacare kicks in) to below poverty line, thus exempting myself from the mandate... and then not following through on any of the BS "assistance" offered to those exempted. I'm single and I have lived on less than 18K in the past (by design) for years because that's just my chosen way of life. But the past few years, I have not. Even at that, at my income, health insurance would cost me over half of my wages--and I'm healthy with no medical history whatsoever.

Another factor is that I absolutely do not believe in the concept of insurance (specifically insuring myself). I see it as simple collective usury. Neither do I participate in our modern western brand of medicine for the most part. Yes, if I have pneumonia, I'll see a doctor and get antibiotics, if I break my arm or slash my flesh, I'll see a doctor and get set or sewn. But, other than that, no. Some major terminal illness, no. It's just my belief system. I've been to a doctor, I believe, 5 times in the past 30 years. I'm healthy. Since I'm getting older, I know there will come a time when I'm no longer healthy. That's my cue that it's time for me to "move on."

So... I've been very distraught over this whole Obamacare thing, because I don't use doctors and I will NOT be forced to do so, and I do not believe in insurance (on myself). This "medishare" thing looks promising. I visited their website and it looks as though I would never be forced to see a doctor (because the system is exempted from Obamacare and the supposed preventative care mandates) AND I would not be involved in an insurance scam. From the looks of it, the money that I would be paying would actually go to health care for others in the program, rather than a CEO's bank account. I'd even get reports on who I was helping. If I'm going to be forced into this healthcare thing, this is something I could be okay with I think--because I would not be using the services for myself except in certain "emergency care" situations, yet my money would be doing some good for others who also believe in this service--which seems to be sort of a "cooperative." I believe in the cooperative/distributism economic model. Also, it looks as though there are specific doctors involved in this system, which makes me feel better about where there heart is. I DO NOT believe in our medical industry that certainly profits in keeping us sick rather than curing us. This system looks to be something that might be a step above that. There is no advantage to keeping people sick--it would in fact bankrupt the system.

I'm definitely going to look into it. Does anyone know what they require as far a "Christian lifestyle"? I have a feeling, that although I'm Christian but not strongly religious, I'd meet the requirements because my lifestyle is very traditional and very reserved.

Last edited by ChrisC; 10-31-2012 at 06:11 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,313 times
I am amazed at the lack of information or misinformation that still exists on the new health care bill.
It has been available to see since it was passed. Here is a link that will provide you with all the information.

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It outlines where the money to fund it will come from. It shows you what subsidies you will receive which is dictated by your income, which has a maximum premium outlay of between 3% to 9 1/2% of your annual income. It prohibits insurance companies from placing a cap on what they will pay out for the life of the policy, (see charts) so if you contract a serious and expensive illness, insurance companies can no longer say, "sorry you have reached your cap". It prohibits denying coverage for people with pre-existing conditions, or dropping you on a technicality when you become "expensively sick" It has many, many benifits that will benifit average to low income earners. High income earners, who choose "cadilac plans" will pay a higher premium. But those plans are plans usually only offered to top executives working for major corporations, earning very substantial incomes.

Don't pay attention to those crazy figures people throw out to you like $17,000 a year. Absolute nonsense. Educate yourself and read for yourself what it will do for you, and then you be the judge of how good it will be for you. There has been no "hidden facts" about the plan. It has been available and out there from day one. All you need to do is l look it up and read it for yourself. By the way, it is called The Affordable Care Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living