Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:37 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Kinda funny, in other threads Conservatives bash people on food stamps for eating poorly. Apparently they cant win either way.
It's quite clear that many of them think that the poor shouldn't eat at all, nor should they exhibit any overt signs of starvation that might disturb their sensibilities (if they in fact have any)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 10:53 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's quite clear that many of them think that the poor shouldn't eat at all, nor should they exhibit any overt signs of starvation that might disturb their sensibilities (if they in fact have any)
And heaven forbid they be overweight.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,472 times
I am married with 3 kids and my husband makes 300 a week. The state approved us for $79 a month. When I was single with 2 kids I was getting $526 a month..I don't understand and I was making more than him when I was single. Can somebody please explain this to me?

Old 03-02-2016, 12:49 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittneyann90 View Post
I am married with 3 kids and my husband makes 300 a week. The state approved us for $79 a month. When I was single with 2 kids I was getting $526 a month..I don't understand and I was making more than him when I was single. Can somebody please explain this to me?
You can put the numbers in here, maybe they made a mistake in the calculation:
FNS SNAP Program Eligibility Screening Tool

Old 03-02-2016, 05:21 PM

64 posts, read 92,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittneyann90 View Post
that's awful they did the same thing with me and my husband and we have a child!!!

Old 03-04-2016, 11:39 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times
In Texas they take into account how much your housing costs are and if you have large medical bills. You are allowed to
have assets up to a limit depending on your age etc. It does get involved. They will asked about all this and enter it and viola...an amount for food stamps appears! Normally for folks with an income similar to mine would get $16 a month, she told me but after she did the calculation it came out to $72. A few months after I qualified my rent went up
$77 a month and I reported it to them and my SNAP benefits went up to $95. So expenses do count! At least here in TX anyway.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCasio View Post
......single female. ..........$219/wk from unemployment. ........ only awarded $35/mo in food stamps. ........,
Welfare benefits are mostly for children. You don't have any children. You are unemployed, but no children to care for, so my best suggestion is to go out and find a job that pays more than unemployment. Then you can buy your own groceries.

Food stamps are a supplement. They aren't intended to pay 100% of an upper middle class diet. However, you can actually eat on $35 a month. It will be boring as heck and not all that tasty, but you could do it.

No, really you could if you had to. I can buy a 25 pound sack of brown rice for $12. That's plenty for a month for one person, 3 meals a day. But you don't have to live on just rice, because a 25 pound sack of beans is $17. That leaves you extra for spices and salt, and a couple of onions. Buy chili powder and curry powder and you get to enjoy 2 different national cuisines. Rice and beans together make a fairly well balance diet. One person would not be able to finish off 50 pounds of rice and beans in a month. You would not make it halfway through those bags.

Next month, you could buy a 25 pound sack of lentils ($20) and maybe a box of ramin ($8), and still have money left over for some new spices and a couple more onions.

Not a fun diet, but it would keep you alive. Just be careful that you don't gain weight eating that way, and at some point, you'd have to save up enough on the groceries to put together the money for a big bottle of vitamin pills.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:22 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Also, just about every location has multiple food banks. Go there, to each one, and pick up your free food.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:43 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,724 times
scroll down for the income levels chart.

Benefits.gov - Florida Food Assistance Program (formally known as Florida Food Stamp Program)

Old 03-05-2016, 12:50 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Getting rid of the car payment and insurance will have no impact on your food stamps. The amount you get in food stamps is based on your income, plus how much you pay for rent and utilities. They don't care if you have a car payment or not.
Riiiiii-iiiight-the idea is to improve her overall budget so she has less money going out the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living