Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you grocery shop at and why?
What is your favorite supermarket? 35 71.43%
Aldi's, Krogers, Food Depot or Ingles? 14 28.57%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 AM

331 posts, read 603,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Aldi's is quite good for finding ALTERNATIVE things that arent available in mainstream stores

^^I try to make it to Aldis often, Canned goods, ground turkey and the fresh produce are my favorites at Aldis, the only thing I am more careful with is meats...b/c I had a poor experience, but I am slowly coming back around. It saves a bunch!!

I use their boxes to pack my things home then use the boxes for yard sale signs, crafts or the kids use them to hide and play with!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Trader Joe's for veggies and fruit. Consistantly cheapest in my area.

Target for things not on sale at the large chain in my area or that I don't have a coupon for.

Large chain for BOGO, specials and things I have a coupon for since they double the coupon.

Since I can hit all 3 within a couple miles, I don't waste gas shopping at multiple stores.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Eh, I spread it out amongst Trader Joes, Food Lion (a regional chain), Walmart, and local farmers market

Trader Joes- Has a huge organic selection, and is actually often cheaper than Food Lion or Walmart, so, best of both worlds. The downside is that the selection is very limited, so sometimes you are forced to go other places, and they have no named brand stuff. Also, prices arent good on everything, so, its sometimes smarter to go other places.

Food Lion- Mostly out of convenience, they are literally everywhere. Good for picking up a few things that arent at Trader Joes, without going all the way to the nearest Walmart.

Walmart- Best place for a combination of all factors. Has a huge selection, and is good one enough prices (Walmart fresh meat prices are usually outrageous) that it can justify just getting all of your grocery list there. Plus, if you need other random things, you can sweep everything out in one trip.

Farmers Market- Clearly the freshest stuff, but often more expensive than stores, and is way out of the way. Go here maybe a few times a year, mostly just to support local farmers.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
I live in the southern section of Allentown, PA.
It's a large urban/suburban city with many choices in every arena including food outlets.

I shop at a small two store business called Valley Farm Market.
It's extremely close to home.

It's like any other medium sized grocery store to the exception of their fruits and vegetables which come from the PA/NJ area and their meat and deli department.

Because of this purposeful purchasing it helps in sustaining the local farming economy.

It's meat and butcher dept. is top notch for high quality top level beef and steaks.

The prices on everything are higher which I support because it's a local business, it's close to home and it helps keep the budget minded families with broods in tow away from the store.

The store gets busy but the majority of patrons are middle aged to the elderly, childless and upper income.

It's not pretentious, it's not trendy but provides a niche for those that want and will pay for quality and demand a nice uncrowded shopping experience filled with choices and quality.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
If there were an Aldi's, I would shop there. Great prices from the ones I've been too.

I tend to stick to Target and Trader Joes. The traditional supermarkets are significantly more money on most things, even with coupons. Milk alone is $1 more vs Target/Trader Joes, even in the same shopping centers. Cereal seems to be about .50 to .75 cheaper / box (same number of ounces). Even the store brands are more money...
I cringe when I got to Harris Teeter, Safeway, etc. cause I know I'm paying a premium for nonpremium products.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:31 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,439 times
aldis is pretty good
their candy sucks but everything else is the same as name brand stuff

Old 07-28-2012, 01:29 PM

22,822 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Safeway for prescriptions, meat, produce, and some super savings on various weekly items. Also gas discounts.
Walmart for canned goods, non perishables.
Daughter shops at Target but we don't have one here.
We don't have any of the stores listed on the poll...

Old 07-28-2012, 02:14 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I never heard of the stores in the poll.

I shop at a local chain called Market Basket--cheap and non pretentious but they don't have everything.

I supplement it with Shaw's for natural/organic foods.

Where we live now, Trader Joe's is too far to drive. I can't stand Walmart and anyway Market Basket is just as cheap on food.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Depending on the store, Aldis will have a range of fairly good German imports, ranging from chocolate to things like mustard and pumpernickle.

I sometimes use them for things like canned goods, pickles and some produce/fruits.

The Target near me recently opened up an expanded food section and they have some pretty good deals via coupons....99 cents for a carton of eggs, for example.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Hi all--

Usually Wal-Mart out of sheer convenience and low price. Occasionally Kroger's if I have a bunch of coupons (since they double up to $1.00). Sometimes Sam's Club for bulk items, since I'm piggybacking off the old man's premium membership. Once in a blue moon I'll pick up milk at Speedway because it isn't worth the gas to drive to Wal-Mart for one thing.

I had a couple bad experiences with Aldi when I was younger and I haven't been back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living