Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:45 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

While I don't do "extreme couponing", I do use them.

That's what's getting us through the end of the month.

Also, check out coupons for prescription drugs. Those co-pays can add up! I got a copay assistance for one RX, saved me $20, and another saved $35!

BTW, copay "assistance" isn't for those on welfare, public "assistance, etc. Its to help people with insurance, to defray the copays. Just google your drug, and copay, there's a lot of coupons out there. The application process is instant. Basically, you just need to have private insurance, and not be on any govt plan, like Medicare, Medicaid, etc. Finally, help for the rest of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM

42 posts, read 49,453 times
I've been couponing semi-regularly for the past 3-4 years. I've always been a knowledgable bargain hunter.

The deals are much worse now. There is more competition out there. I am glad that I do not depend on this for my survival.

There are stores that do events where they will double $1-$2 coupons or triple <$1 coupons.

Extreme couponers have been known to fraudantly abuse coupons (using fake coupons or buying items that are not listed on the coupon). Some even steal coupons from newspapers.

Yes, people will re-sell their couponed goods. As long as they're not abusing store policies, I don't care. (They don't make a whole lot of money, and it seems like a lot more effort than it's worth.)

Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i wouldnt mind selling some stuff but i cant think of a convenient way for me to do it. its become a bit of a hobby and while i wouldnt make much money, i could make enough to buy plenty of stuff. for example, i could sell a box of cereal that cost me 30 cents for 1 buck. that .70 is more than the price of 2 boxes of cereal for me. id also be able to save other people some money. but im not gonna go out of my way to do it.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
also, coupons where you need to buy more than one item are pretty useless.
You never use more than one can of any kind of soup?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I only buy Campbell's New England Clam Chowder. It's the only canned soup I like, other than Tomato which gives me MASSIVE heartburn. Every blessed time. So no more of that.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 AM

42 posts, read 49,453 times
One thing about couponing is that you can't become loyal to a particular brand/item. The better coupons are new items that manufacturers want you to try and become loyal to.

Re-sellers can usually an item for about 50% of the retail price (meaning that buyers are more than willing to buy them at that price). However, I'm sure there is a lot less profit out there since free items seem to be scarce now. The price after coupons/deals have gone up tremendously.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:05 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I only buy Campbell's New England Clam Chowder. It's the only canned soup I like, other than Tomato which gives me MASSIVE heartburn. Every blessed time. So no more of that.
My point was that you will use that second can of soup, bar of soap, etc...

Old 09-28-2012, 07:28 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
The coupon inserts in our local Sunday papers have become almost worthless - to me anyway. They are about 75 to 80% ads for buying items that I don't need like decorative plates, kitschy jewelry, address labels, checks with cartoons on them, etc. The few coupons included that I can actually use require that I buy two, three, or even four of an item to get that big honkin' fifty cents off.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
thats not the reason why they are useless. they are useless because if you divide the savings over the multiple items, it doesnt work out to much.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,927 times
There are hundreds of printable coupons online available to everyone. Coupons.com, manufacturers' websites, Facebook, Smartsource, etc. If I am looking for a particular product I will check the database at Weusecoupons.com to see if there are any current coupons. There is a local blog that does matchups with the weekly sales as well that includes links to any online coupons. Most areas probably have at least one similar blog these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living