Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

I like to take care of my business at home. I've been on the same schedule most of my life, so there are rarely surprises and I can work around when I need to use the bathroom. So I don't find myself using a public bathroom unless it is an emergency (I ate something bad, etc).

In NJ, all gas stations are required to let you use their bathrooms... so that's an option for those who don't want to buy anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure why someone would stop by a restaurant to use the restroom they otherwise werent visiting if it wasnt some kind of emergency. typically, its a fast food place or maybe a home depot. i dont really think im putting anyone out and sometimes it might yield a purchase but im not going to buy something i dont need to take a leak.

So you aren't just driving down the road, feel the call of nature, and pull into the closest fast food restaurant for the sole purpose of using the facilities rather than waiting until you get home or where you are going, but have had several emergencies instead? Sorry for my mistaken impression, in that case.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:40 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
im still trying to figure out why gas stations keep the doors locked on the bathrooms.

are they afraid someone might clean them?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Many years ago, the spousal unit got really horrible food poisoning from a McDonalds. Since then, when we've been on road trips, he's stopped in to use their restrooms many times without buying anything because he figured they owed him some courtesy payback for the food poisoning.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When too many freeloaders and bums abuse a privilege or courtesy...
you end up with policies like this.

It has naught to do with frugality.
Right, I didn't no it was abuse to **** in the toilet rather than outside on the sidewalk or in the alley.....I agree that it's not to do with frugality.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Even if I see a sign that says a purchase is necessary (yes, I've seen them), that's never stopped me if the need was strong.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If I'm using the restroom at a fast food joint, even if I'm just passing through town, I will at least buy a soft drink. They may not know, but I will, and my conscience would bother me.
We frequently take road trips to various places when flying is impractical or not possible. It can be a 2-3 hour drive to closer cities, and sometimes as long as 7 hours out to the coast. If I'm cruising down I-95 and have to use the facilities, I will stop at the most convenient place on the highway, be it a truck stop or a fast food joint. I'm not going to "hold it" for a few hours until I get where I am going. And my conscience does not bother me if I stop to take a leak without buying a soda or some other small item. Sometimes I will buy something while stopped there, but that is because it is something I want, not out of any obligation to do so.

Heck, sometimes I stop somewhere on the highway for coffe, food, gas or something else and do not use the restroom - so they owe me a "freebie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Some people don't feel guilty about a lot of things that they should.
True. But something so insignificant as this is not one of those things.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
How do you decide where that line is, Tober138? What is your criteria for "things that I should feel some sense of conscience about and things I shouldn't", since apparently there is a line for you where ethics comes into play and before that line they don't?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Has anyone ever encountered a store with such a rule? I've seen countless stores where the restroom may only be used by paying customers.. but that is easily solved by purchasing their cheapest item first (if I'm really desperate anyways.)
CA has a state law which states if a store has a restroom at all it is open to the public. I ran into this when I opened a Banana Republic store in Beverly Hills.
Problem is you may have to call the police to support the law.

A pregnant friend of mine ran into this when stopping at a gas station and had to go bad, the attendant gave her so much grief over it she went over and squatted in front of the locked door and p*ssed on the floor. Clean up on isle 4!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:08 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
Just curious. How do you abuse the bathrooms? Is a homeless person wanting to use the bathroom to do their business or wash themselves being abusive? Do they go into them and defecate in the corner?
Explain it to me. Do you have to be a person of means to be able to go to the bathroom?

What will charging a quarter to get in accomplish. Keeping people without money from going to the bathroom? Is it better disposed of in the streets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living