Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times

Advertisements

It's supposed to be only $10.00/year and no monthly charges for anyone with an internet connection. I am wondering if it has any good channels (compared to cable) and if it's worth getting. Has anyone purchased it and tried it yet?

The ad on TV said it has access to over several thousand TV and radio channels. If it's comparable I'd like to cancel our cable service and just use that, but I'm wondering why I've never heard of it. It may be that it's just that new. I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 01:37 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I read online that you get foreign, non english channels and thing that are readily available for streaming online. It's not a replacement for cable.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:45 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I read online that you get foreign, non english channels and thing that are readily available for streaming online. It's not a replacement for cable.
OK, great. Thank you. I didn't want to waste my time/money and cancel our cable if it wasn't good. I won't bother then.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM

57 posts, read 102,057 times
Can someone give ma an overview of how it works? Do I use my TV channel changer, or do I need to do that through my computer? Does it wire directly from my computer or modem into my TV set? Can I keep my cable service and switch back and forth without reconnecting? Or is this just a quick-access plug for on-line streaming that can also be done in other ways?

Last edited by iuyno; 09-19-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
Anything available on the internet and your computer you get push to your tv using a gismo such as Push TV. I have one, but don't like it, cause there is an annoying lag. My guess is it is something similar, but I am not familiar with it.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,926 times
I got it a couple weeks ago at Walmart. It's not like cable, but still pretty nice for what it is (especially for only $10). Most of the TV shows and movies are on-demand, meaning they don't come on a schedule, you just choose a show and it takes you to episodes of that show (think like netflix or hulu). The nice part is they have episodes of pretty much any show you can think of - pretty much all the main network shows (by network I mean ABC, Fox, MTV, Discovery, History, etc.) along with a lot of older stuff (60s,70s,80s,90s shows).

Most of the episodes and movies can be found online for free, but its nice to have everything all in one place, and a lot of the content they have can be hard to find on your own. I'd say definitely worth the $10, but don't cancel your cable before you try it.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
I remember when the stations on the TV set went from 2 to 13, we got reception from maybe 8 of them and there was always something good to watch on TV.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
So is this something you can use if you don't have cable but DO have internet?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,773 times
Sally, Yes as long as you have a fast internet connection.

The device is like a TV guide to internet TV, gives you an on screen guides similiar to what you'd use on dish or digital cable.

True it doesn't give you anything you can't get on the internet without it, it does organize it. To avoid the grief of ordering from the web or phone, I bought mine off the shelf at walgreens.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singingjanitor View Post
Sally, Yes as long as you have a fast internet connection.

The device is like a TV guide to internet TV, gives you an on screen guides similiar to what you'd use on dish or digital cable.

True it doesn't give you anything you can't get on the internet without it, it does organize it. To avoid the grief of ordering from the web or phone, I bought mine off the shelf at walgreens.
Cool, thanks. Another question; we use our PS3 for Netflix and Amazon streaming through the TV... can this device be used with or without the PS3? We wouldn't have that access without the PS3 otherwise so wonder how this thing fits in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living