U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,060,118 times

Advertisements

Well, I tried to be frugal today. I went out and bought Hamburger Helper and cooked it up with a pound of ground turkey. the problem is, that stuff is addictive just like macaroni and cheese is. I just eating and eating until I feel sick. I've been trying to eat on the cheap lately, but I'm turning into a fat cow. I can't keep it up. I've got to go back to salads and healthy eating even if it costs more money. Went to the store again tonight and bought yogurt and berries.

Greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:08 AM

3,567 posts, read 7,514,355 times
Eating out is one of my worst habits. It's what I spend the most money on, immediately after clothing. But those are the only two exorbitant costs of mine. I completely feel the pain of those like me who just find it impossible to avoid going out to eat

Other than that, though, I still live on a very tight budget. Mostly I'm just very spartan in my tastes. One of the things that infuriates me is that 1. I'm never home and 2. When I am, even in the dead of winter I'm perfectly fine with no heat on and only a sweater/space heater in whatever room I'm using at the moment. But I still have to pay for built-in heating costs I don't use, damnit

Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 AM

2,408 posts, read 9,663,853 times
I hate a really hard time with overeating. It seems like the cheap stuff make you eat a lot of it.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
good points

Old 10-12-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I hate a really hard time with overeating. It seems like the cheap stuff make you eat a lot of it.
Yes, I'm struggling to find an affordable way to eat. Pasta and bread is not working for me. I overreat and than I feel tired and depressed with the sugar ups and downs. I need to try something else.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:26 AM

3,785 posts, read 8,762,556 times
I have a family of 5 and we're in the baltimore/dc area--high cost of living. I spend about $150-175 a week and I never buy hamburger helper or stuff like that. We do eat lots of veggies/fruits and lean cuts of meat/chicken.

I plan all of my meals for the week and plan them around sales. We eat very little convenience foods or frozen dinners. We eat whatever is in season and if it's not in season head to the frozen or canned veggies/fruits. When we eat pasta, it is almost always whole wheat--definitely fills the tummy. We also use a lot of brown rice/wild rice and that's very cheap and filling. I also cook most everything. A good cookbook or two and it's really not that hard. We are also happy with vegeterian meals. I also use my crockpot alot. Saves incredible amounts of time and I love not having to worry about dinner.

When I was single/had a smaller family I used to cook on weekends and freeze individual portions. There is also a really cool little cookbook that has recipes that are specifically for one or two people. Very neat.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:26 AM

2,408 posts, read 9,663,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

When I was single/had a smaller family I used to cook on weekends and freeze individual portions. There is also a really cool little cookbook that has recipes that are specifically for one or two people. Very neat.
Can you share the name of that cookbook?

Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,282,457 times
The cheap stuff is not good for you in excess. Yeah, I can get a box of Debbie Cakes for less thank $1.50 but a few apples are $1.69 a pound. Don't talk of farmers markets (I am in the middle of 'farm country) but the farmers don't want to give away their profits, plus they jack stuff up for the tourists.

I notice now I have moved there aren't any 'older fruits or vegetable' carts like back in NY. You could sometimes pick up cheaper stuff (fine for chili or banana bread). Here...no way...either they must give it to the charities (there are many in this area) or just don't waste a lot.

We live frugally, too, but now with moving on a limited budget we are trying not to spend as much on food as we used to. We go once a week and deal with it. I cook 95% of the time, usually semi-vegetarian meals. We eat burritos/tacos and pasta based meals 2 time a week. (everyone likes them.).

Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have a family of 5 and we're in the baltimore/dc area--high cost of living. I spend about $150-175 a week and I never buy hamburger helper or stuff like that. We do eat lots of veggies/fruits and lean cuts of meat/chicken.

I plan all of my meals for the week and plan them around sales. We eat very little convenience foods or frozen dinners. We eat whatever is in season and if it's not in season head to the frozen or canned veggies/fruits. When we eat pasta, it is almost always whole wheat--definitely fills the tummy. We also use a lot of brown rice/wild rice and that's very cheap and filling. I also cook most everything. A good cookbook or two and it's really not that hard. We are also happy with vegeterian meals. I also use my crockpot alot. Saves incredible amounts of time and I love not having to worry about dinner.

Well, you are uber-mom. Will you send me one or two of your crock pot recipes? I'm trying to learn how to eat on a budget. The Hamburger Helper has to go...

Thank you,

Greenie

Old 10-12-2007, 03:04 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,038,465 times
Living Los Angeles, food prices are certainly crazy out here.

The other night I went to a little Italian Place in west la. Not at all Beverly Hills, Spagos or anything like that. Higher up than Dennys, IHOP or Olive Garden but not 4 stars.

We had a salad..$12.99...pizza, $12.99..."dinner", if you could call it that for two, for $33. Thats not uncommon at all.

But you always have subway, in n out, which are dirt cheap. A great cheeseburger at in n out is only $2 dollars and change. Last night I spent $4.98 on dinner there..a double, double and strawberry shake.

How people do the Beverly Hills restaurants, $12 martini's...who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living