Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:24 AM

431 posts, read 1,219,728 times

Advertisements

Talk about thrifty spending....yard sale/garage sale season is almost here !

I've seen a few already here in East TN.

We are going to try and have one next weekend. Was gonna do it this weekend but just didn't have time to get everything ready.

We have at least 2 yard sales every summer. I think the most I've ever made was 300.00. Not bad for 1 Saturday's work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
I am a yard sale fanatic too. My sister, some friends,and I hit them up together. Last summer I found a cherrywood sleigh bed for my daughters room, cost me $30. It is in perfect condition.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,662 times
I used to go to yardsales all the time, until I moved. Havent been to one in about 1 1/2 yrs until yesterday. I thought I would stop at just a couple and come home and do yardwork. needless to say I was out all day! I forgot how much fun it was. Also gives you a chance to talk to people you wouldnt normally talk to. I got free plants and tile!!!!!!!! plus the normal good deals on all kinds of stuff. I live in tx where it is warm so we dont need many cold season clothes. I think my son is now set for long sleeve shirts and sweaters for next yr. The best part was the tile though. we plan on putting in a half bath and this should be enoug to do this. I might have to buy a few accent or border peices to be safe.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Our neighborhood is having a neighborhood garage sale today. While my wife is out buying the neighbors old stuff I'm going to sell her stuff....Do you think she will get mad at me....(;o)=

Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Our neighborhood is having a neighborhood garage sale today. While my wife is out buying the neighbors old stuff I'm going to sell her stuff....Do you think she will get mad at me....(;o)=
LOL Don't get in trouble!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:21 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
Yard sales happen year around here in SoCal ... but as much as I like shopping at thrift shops, I haven't bothered too much with yard/garage sales.

Neighborhood ones are worth it, since one stop can mean many households. Many years back, I managed to furnish a good part of my place with such ... (2) sofa end tables, a giant wicker chest, (2) reel-to-reel players, and a 6-drawer cabinet. The kicker was that I had no car back then ... instead, I made 4 trips back and forth (about 1/2 mile each way) with giant box strapped to a hand truck!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:06 PM

242 posts, read 1,186,957 times
Default is anyone else getting Excited about

No way, Never, I do not know where any of the streets are in these 10 towns that are all close together and never did know the streets around here. When on Maui, all the names of the streets have Hawaiian names, never knew where they were. BUT at least there, they gave everyone with a mailbox a booklet with all the Street names, every year. I am totally lost here!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:34 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
I prefer estate auctions. We have a lot of good ones here. You can do your shopping sitting down -- easier on my aching knees -- and I find the prices to be better.
Also encourages me to get rid of a lot of stuff when you see how little value others put on it.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:31 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,738,867 times
I'm definitely not a fanatic but I like to go to a couple per season. I look for things like Duplo blocks and children's books for my son. Was thinking of having our own yard sale too but I've given most of the extra stuff away on Freecycle that it won't make any sense to have one.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,449 times
I am very excited this year! I need some fabric for quilting. I'd also like to find some kitchen items. It'll just be nice to get out and walk in nice weather. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living