Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I can't believe you consider Land O' Frost to be meat.

We go to Costco monthly and only buy at the grocery stores when there are items we need that are in the weekly sale ads in the paper. For lunch meat, we find it worth spending a little more to buy at the deli where they slice to order and it's real meat.

Yes, it is a mediocre brand but is Gluten Free. I don't normally buy it, and the deli meats usually contain all kinds of preservatives as well as dairy additivies that I don't care for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 04:34 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Land-o Frost has two sizes of packages. The 16 ounce is still 16 ounces. $3 something in the store yesterday
Change stores or shop more carefully

Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,634,161 times
I agree, most of the grocery prices are almost laughable these days. What about the inflation at the fast food places? Unless you order off of the dollar menu, you are going to pay upwards of $6.00 - $7.00 or so for a greasy fast food meal these days.

For that same $6 - $7, if you shop smart, you can buy a loaf of bread, some ham or bologna and cheese, and a bag of store brand chips and feed 3 or 4 people lunch. Not that healthy, but not any worse than a greasy burger meal. Even with the increased prices, brown bagging lunch for work helps a lot.

We buy some of our groceries at Big Lots, and look through the mark down sections at the grocery store. Also, we make lots of soups, stews, and things with beans in them these days. Helps to stretch things. Things aren't going to get better anytime soon. No matter who wins on Tuesday.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, the last weekend trip to the grocery store (Woodman's) was quite a shocker. The first item of note was that the standard package of lunch meat (Land O' Frost Brand 16oz) has now been downsized to 9oz. The price, however, remains nearly the same. It was $3.29 for the 16oz package and now $2.99 for the 9oz package. The next item was the Applesauce (store brand) jar. Last week it was made of glass and 50oz. It has now gone to plastic and 46oz. The price remains the same at $2.19. Inflation will likely get worse as the culmination of last years drought continues through next year.

Woodman's has every brand of lunch meat known to mankind - the last time that I was at their Janesville, WI store, they had a minimum of 20-30 different brands. WHY Land of Frost, when there are any number of Wisconsin brands?

By the way, despite the fact that Woodman's has a tremendous number of products AND that they do source a good amount of their product from Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota producers, I have never found them to be that much less than the large chain stores. I nearly always do better at Aldi.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
Not a food item, but essential in its own way. 20 lb. bag of Tidy Cat kitty litter was $4.98 at Walmart and is now $6.18!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I agree, most of the grocery prices are almost laughable these days. What about the inflation at the fast food places? Unless you order off of the dollar menu, you are going to pay upwards of $6.00 - $7.00 or so for a greasy fast food meal these days.
And many places are changing from dollar menus to value menus - so they can charge more than a dollar.

I noticed this a McDonald's. I take my nephew there for a treat every so often cuz he loves it. I always ordered something off the dollar menu for myself. I remember seeing the small fries were no longer $1, but $1.19. Some other items too. Then I saw it now says value menu, not dollar menu.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Quote:
Yeah, and I refuse to do that. $5.90 for a White Castle cheeseburger slider meal. I'll just get their coffee, which is still a good deal for $1.05 for medium

Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
I guess high grocery prices means I'll eat less, so good for keeping the weight off.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
The thing I noticed in my produce dept. was an avacado going from .99 to $1.99 in just one week. We did get a surprise when we stopped at Wendys on our way home from NH to ME yesterday. We got a baked potato with sour cream and chives, a crispy chicken wrap, a small cheeseburger and split a drink - for a grand total of $4.78.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
The thing I noticed in my produce dept. was an avacado going from .99 to $1.99 in just one week. We did get a surprise when we stopped at Wendys on our way home from NH to ME yesterday. We got a baked potato with sour cream and chives, a crispy chicken wrap, a small cheeseburger and split a drink - for a grand total of $4.78.

Produce costs are ALWAYS really variable as the crop in a particular area is slotted for harvest at a certain time. If that crop is affected by a storm or weather event, that produce item will be scarce until the next field is ready. For example, it is not uncommon to see the wholesale of a flat of strawberries be $12 for weeks and then jump to $35 when the Florida crop is done and then drop to $10 when the California crop is ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living