U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM

846 posts, read 909,335 times

Advertisements

I know that I could quickly get my membership's worth if I were to pump gas from them but I prefer to pay my gas entirely in cash and I heard that you need to pay by credit card with costco gas. What are some must buy at Costco?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 AM

3,634 posts, read 9,234,127 times
We get our 4 year cheddar cheese and goat cheese at Costco. Great price. I buy my raspberries and blackberries there. I get my walnuts, pecans and pistachios there. Maple syrup and vanilla have great prices.

We have enjoyed various frozen items but it constantly changes due to market conditions. We bought enough Einstien Bagel gift cards at a discount to pay for our membership but they dont have them all the time. We get Mom's hearing aid batteries and they are cheaper and last longer than the ones from other locations. Our Costco has its own coffee roaster but we have not yet tried it.

Buy 4 pounds of butter at a time.

I just bought a coat.

The only truly bad product I have gotten there is very unripe fruit. So I dont even try any fruit other than the berries.

Love their cooked chicken.

Oh, I bought new stainless silverware but got so much in the package that I shared with mom. Love it.

We bought luggage and it is very good.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I'm told that it's worth it even for a one-person household, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 PM

8,936 posts, read 15,854,556 times
depends on the household and your buying habits

I've bought TVs and cell phones there, I've bought clothes, DVDs, restaurant gift cards for nights out, discounted admission tickets, a rice cooker that I never stop using, humidifiers and a lot of items like that .... I think I could get my moneys worth over the year on a basic membership by just those type of items, along with some of their alcohol, giant things of spices (I like to BBQ so I go through a good amount when making rubs) and cuts of meat to BBQ

I also like their frozen berries for making smoothies, love their chicken and some of their heat and eats meals ... plus a lot of the meat you can freeze and get use later

My wife and I had a membership when it was just the two of us .... now that we've added a pair of kids it became even better as we added on a crib, dresser, toys, diapers, formula, etc

Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM

13,438 posts, read 15,046,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm told that it's worth it even for a one-person household, but I'm not sure I buy that.
Depends what you buy. Costco is really cheap for some things (grains, paper products, spices). As a guy, I never understood how toilet paper is a big item. Then I lived with a woman. My roommate and didn't even go through a pack of toilet paper in a year, so you're talking about saving a few bucks. Women use about as much toilet paper as a small army of men. I wouldn't be surprised if a woman could recoup most of the cost of membership on toilet paper alone.

Supermarkets - Key Findings from Our Surveys
Quote:
The surveyed Sam’s Club store, for example, beat the QFC store we compared it to by a whopping 38 percent. And compared to that QFC store, the savings were about 36 percent at the Costco store we surveyed.

Since you can’t typically get everything you need at a warehouse store, we looked at the savings you might gain by shopping at both a warehouse store and at a supermarket, assuming you would purchase the lowest cost size available at either place. We found, for example, that by including Costco on your shopping schedule along with a QFC store, you might save about 18 percent compared with shopping at the QFC store alone.
I do most of my shopping at WinCo which with that sample was already 31% cheaper than QFC, and it carries a more normal selection than CostCo does. The meat at WinCo is all kinds of suck, however, so I still end up having to shop two stores. Likewise the produce is hit and miss, so you have to be flexible. Some weeks you're just going to do with certain fruits and vegetables. The CostCo membership isn't worth it to me since WinCo offers a better selection and similar prices overall. Likewise with gas... I gas up at QuickStop, ARCO, and Valero, which aren't any more expensive than CostCo. If they are, it's only by a few cents. Plus they're more conveniently located. If you're gassing up at Chevron, then you're looking at 10-20 cents a gallon in savings. CostCo's meat isn't cheap, but it's very high quality. Honestly, if I ate a lot of meat, I'd say even for a single person CostCo is worth it.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-16-2012 at 01:11 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
The gas station does not accept cash, but you can buy a prepaid gas card to pay for your gasoline. You can get it from the cashier or from the service desk.

I buy cheese, beer, nuts, coffee (with the coupon), dried fruit, and they offer an excellent dog food for a very good price. I buy office supplies and paper products, onions, potatoes, and lettuce. They have the best price on tea, terry cloth towels, shoes, and jackets.

They have an excellent bakery with cheap prices for the quality that you are getting. You can't beat the deal on croissants. They have the best quality meat, but it isn't cheap.. But again, a decent price for the quality.

It all depends upon what sort of things your family uses. They sell some pretty darn good heat and eat meals (which I don't buy) at a decent price for the quality, and good hot dogs.

Tire price is supposed to be good.

There are things in there that cost more, so you must know what stuff costs if you intend to use the card to save money. I think you can go to the front desk and get a 1 day guest pass so you can shop and see if they have things that you would buy.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,753,005 times
It would not be worth it for us, but I know others who have small households who find it to be worth their while. Depends entirely on what you buy, I think. I go sometimes with others and get a few things. You can buy inexpensive clothes and books, etc. there, too. Do you know anyone who is a member? Maybe you can go with them and price your favorite must-have items and see if you think it's worth it for you. Or if you have a big purchase coming up you can see if they have good prices on whatever it is you're buying.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 PM

4 posts, read 18,916 times
I'm a single guy but still find a Costco membership to be a bargain. There are certain items I just cannot buy because they will go bad because I won't use them in time. Any large container will probably go bad before I used it all however things that are individually packages are fine. For example I bought 8 boxes of barilla pasta that were seran wrapped together. Pasta stays forever and they are packaged in mulipe packages so a bargain.

Also some items even if some is wasted are still a bigger deal. For examle I can get a bag of like 30-50 limes which stay good for a while for like $3 however if I went to Jewel it would be $3 for like a couple limes so even if a few go bad before I use them it's still a good bargain.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 PM

16,481 posts, read 15,913,707 times
I don't have a Costco membership but I can save the cost of my yearly Sam's Club membership on cat litter alone. Everything else is just extra savings.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,097,342 times
There's just two of us but we save plenty of money on coffee, wine, batteries, meat and the occasional bargain. We don't usually buy large quantities of anything unless it's something non perishable that we'll use over a couple months time. One thing to note is that Costco doesn't have the cheapest of anything but they have really high quality stuff at regular prices. Olive oil is one - their Kirkland Tuscan olive oil is really good for the same price as you'd pay for a lower end oil in the grocery store.

The trick is to buy what you need and not get sucked into all of the other offerings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living