U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 PM

11,958 posts, read 16,677,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I understand the point about preventative care and healthy lifestyle choice, but as someone who has been dealing with major family medical issues that had NOTHING to do with that, all the preaching about living a healthy lifestyle (not you, specifically, just people in general) can kind of feel like a slap in the face.

Just so people don't think that if you don't smoke, eat a healthy diet, get lots of exercise, don't spend much time in a car, eat organic, or any number of any healthy lifestyle choices, somehow means that you are exempt from major medical catastrophe. Because the reality of it is, you're not.
People are always looking for a reason why it can't be them. My cancer was 100% unpreventable. The fact that I was still alive after having the cancer growing for at least 5 years was because I was healthy in other aspects of my life - but it did not prevent me from getting cancer. The number of vegan marathon runners I know to have gotten cancer in their 20s and 30s is astounding. One of my dearest friends grew up on an organic farm in Canada only to be diagnosed with Stage III breast cancer at 29. Or the 22 year old who is currently fighting his 7th recurrence of osteosarcoma who I went rock climbing with last summer - even with only one leg, he was besting us to the top.

MANY health issues are behavioral in nature - but certainly not all. And saying "stay healthy at home to prevent medical problems!" does nothing but shame those of us already dealing with serious health issues. Good advice in general, but too often assumed to be the be-all-end-all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 AM

25,925 posts, read 28,316,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
MANY health issues are behavioral in nature - but certainly not all. And saying "stay healthy at home to prevent medical problems!" does nothing but shame those of us already dealing with serious health issues. Good advice in general, but too often assumed to be the be-all-end-all.
Yes, we understand nothing is 100%. But I think a lot of us are frustrated that the lifestyle issues are almost never addressed in the health care system, and even scientists will tell you 70% our health care costs are based on unhealthy lifestyle choices. We simply must address this issue, and we absolutely have NOT.

You say "People are always looking or a reason why it can't be them". That's true in more ways than one. Many people don't want to admit how much their behavior and choices are affecting their health and the health care costs we all must pay one way or another (either through private insurance or via taxation). The health care system simply dispenses pills to these people instead of trying to help people make the necessary behavioral changes.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:47 AM

4,130 posts, read 3,844,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
But I think a lot of us are frustrated that the lifestyle issues are almost never addressed in the health care system, and even scientists will tell you 70% our health care costs are based on unhealthy lifestyle choices.
Can you show where this number comes from? I am interested how they found it.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 PM

6,793 posts, read 11,705,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I get the double whammy of being in debt BECAUSE of medical conditions. I am less stressed about the possibility of relapsing and dying than I am about the debt I face trying to live - and can't even afford to go to therapy like my oncologist recommended to deal with the PTSD I struggle with from my diagnosis.

Whoever said health is the great equalizer was full of it. Money makes health issues MUCH easier to face!
In your situation, you may want to consider medical bankruptcy. Your health is still infinitely more important than your finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living