U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,320,695 times

Advertisements

Has the stress of upcoming payments or big financial obligations ever given you a headache or made you feel nauseous literally? You're not alone. A recent Associated Press/AOL poll correlated high debt-related stress with different health conditions.

Read more: Save money to save your health Bankrate, Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 AM

4,130 posts, read 3,856,813 times
Is it not only stress from worrying and exhaustion from overwork that can get you as well. Many of the simple things that are good for you often are cheaper then the alternatives. Making food at home is cheaper then eating out, and you don't get those huge salt laden portions from a restaurant. Eating a steak may be an occasional treat, but a pound of beef often costs 5x as much as a pound of lentils with much more fat and calories. Drinking soda is much more expensive then a simple cup of tea, and comes with over a hundred calories from sugar.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 AM

12,030 posts, read 16,771,078 times
I get the double whammy of being in debt BECAUSE of medical conditions. I am less stressed about the possibility of relapsing and dying than I am about the debt I face trying to live - and can't even afford to go to therapy like my oncologist recommended to deal with the PTSD I struggle with from my diagnosis.

Whoever said health is the great equalizer was full of it. Money makes health issues MUCH easier to face!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,419,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I get the double whammy of being in debt BECAUSE of medical conditions. I am less stressed about the possibility of relapsing and dying than I am about the debt I face trying to live - and can't even afford to go to therapy like my oncologist recommended to deal with the PTSD I struggle with from my diagnosis.

Whoever said health is the great equalizer was full of it. Money makes health issues MUCH easier to face!
I agree. The health system is so broken that most people -- whether they know it or not -- are just one diagnosis away from financial catastrophe. I thought that this thread was going to be about that topic when I first saw the title.

For those who are currently healthy and aren't actively dealing with existing debt, pump up those emergency savings accounts. Have at LEAST six months living expenses in there, and remember to factor in the full COBRA payments plus deductible. Even good insurance plans don't cover everything, and if you're hit with not being able to work due to illness or injury then you'll have both current AND new expenses to cover, all while not having income (or not as much) coming in. We have burned through our savings paying for medical and related expenses (and we actually had a decent amount -- wish now that we had saved much, much more), and I know that in the years to come I will never really sleep easy until we have paid off all debt and rebuilt an even bigger emergency cushion. It is a terrible thing to have to worry about money at the same time you're dealing with medical issues.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 PM

1,638 posts, read 2,605,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I'm sorry about your situation but happy you're doing better now.

Have you looked into free support groups? I see them sometimes on craigslist, or even just google them.

The price of healthcare is really scary though. I was born with a heart condition and I'll probably need valve replacement by the time I'm in my 50's. I don't even want to think about it.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 PM

26,104 posts, read 28,506,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree. The health system is so broken that most people -- whether they know it or not -- are just one diagnosis away from financial catastrophe. I thought that this thread was going to be about that topic when I first saw the title.
I am totally with you on this. But the other side of the coin is that much of the health issues we have in the U.S. are our own doing. Most of our expensive diseases to treat (diabetes, heart disease, and a fair amount of cancer) are completely preventable. Of course, as you say, the health system is broken and does nothing to promote healthy lifestyles. But it's time more of us took matters into our own hands instead of waiting for some magical "other" (the government, the health insurance companies) to fix the health care cost issue. If we all lived healthy lifestyles health care costs would drop by at least 50%.

But I do understand, we all fall ill, that none of us are perfect...and there is no question the system we have is horrible. I just wish more people would give up their bad habits and take a more active role in living healthier lifestyles.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 PM

43,559 posts, read 52,678,186 times
Health care starts at home. What you eat, drink, and otherwise put in your body.
Start there and you will see drastic changes in everything.
A system where 'anything goes' and then the repercussions have to be dealt with on an ENORMOUS scale will never be sustainable.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM

26,104 posts, read 28,506,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Health care starts at home. What you eat, drink, and otherwise put in your body.
A system where 'anything goes' and then the repercussions have to be dealt with on an ENORMOUS scale will never be sustainable.
Exactly. And all insurance has done is hide the costs to make those unhealthy lifestyle choices look less costly than they really are. Of course, sweeping the problem under the rug only lasts so long. Now we are going to have to face our own worst enemy: Our own behavior.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 AM

12,030 posts, read 16,771,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I'm sorry about your situation but happy you're doing better now.

Have you looked into free support groups? I see them sometimes on craigslist, or even just google them.

The price of healthcare is really scary though. I was born with a heart condition and I'll probably need valve replacement by the time I'm in my 50's. I don't even want to think about it.
Support groups aren't really "free". If I wanted age-appropriate support groups, parking is about $20 AND I'd have to leave work at least an hour early to get to the big, internationally renowned cancer center with a dedicated young adult program. If I go to my hospital, parking is $10 and the other people in the groups historically have been 30 years older at the youngest - at least in their 60s! It's very emotionally difficult listening to people complain about how they've had to cut down on gifts to grandkids when I struggle to pay my rent and couldn't afford fertility-saving treatment to have my own children (and looking down the road, the $20K+ costs to adopt might mean that I will never have kids).

I want to be able to focus on taking care of my physical and emotional health, but when I have much more pressing financial issues, I simply have no means to do so.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,419,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I understand the point about preventative care and healthy lifestyle choice, but as someone who has been dealing with major family medical issues that had NOTHING to do with that, all the preaching about living a healthy lifestyle (not you, specifically, just people in general) can kind of feel like a slap in the face.

Just so people don't think that if you don't smoke, eat a healthy diet, get lots of exercise, don't spend much time in a car, eat organic, or any number of any healthy lifestyle choices, somehow means that you are exempt from major medical catastrophe. Because the reality of it is, you're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living