U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:11 AM

31,178 posts, read 57,317,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
Second hand often isn't as instantly gratifying as "regular" shopping.
The thrill is in the hunt!

I buy second hand whenever possible as well. Obviously, if I need a new pair of pantyhose, I'm not going to buy those used. Same with shoes. Or if the fridge goes out and I need a new one ASAP.

But I'll never buy another new car again. I bought a year-old car, with 7,000 miles and a 7-year warranty, for $4,000 less than I would have paid new. Most of my furniture was purchased at Goodwill or a second-hand furniture shop. I was amazed the high quality clothing I could find at second hand shops. Same with kitchen utensils, cookware, and decorative stuff.

The other side of the coin is that before I throw anything out, I'll sell it at a garage sale, give it away, or advertise it on Craig's list or Freecycle. Yeah, it's a pain to field the calls, but it's more of a pain to run out of landfill space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 12:48 PM

558 posts, read 2,022,565 times
love, love, love thrift store shopping...it's like a big TREASURE HUNT, and it's the ultimate RECYCLING...!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 PM

300 posts, read 607,094 times
I totally agree with SaveMtns - what great fun!! I have noticed throughout my wanderings around the US that some areas are better than others for "thrifting". Denver area is fabulous - I could routinely find top-end designer clothes in the Savers or Goodwill. Seattle, my daughters tell me, has very little quality items in the places they have tried. So far, everyplace I have looked at in Michigan is a waste of time. I know it is all tied to the economy of the area, and the availabilty of good retail outlets to "originate" the thrift items. That, however, does not explain Seattle, which has many Nordstroms and oodles of high-end boutiques. I also agree that all areas took a dip with the introduction of eBay and the like.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:12 PM

13,436 posts, read 24,216,791 times
I love the second hand stores. I have found wonderful things.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:11 AM

18,093 posts, read 20,061,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Jaxson- its the eBay effect. They are on to the fact that collectibles float through their places.
Well that is a bummer for local folks trying to be thrifty or keeping things out of landfills. I suppose everybody wants to get a piece of whatever pie is most requested.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:08 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,365,276 times
Thumbs up Oh Yeah!!!

I particularly like donating to/buying from the thrift stores which are a fund raising endeavour for say, the Humane Society, American Cancer Society, or other organizations which have a larger goal than the 'almighty dollar.'

And I also look for where the item is produced.....the whole China/trade issue is another topic for another day, but in the main it is important to me to have perhaps fewer things, older things, but things of quality.

I've recently moved and am *still* bringing things out of boxes; going slowly now, because it's the harder stuff to make decisions on. Little by little I'm filling up bags to donate....

I'm at least 1/2 Scots, and as I get older, the plainness and frugality of that heritage is getting stronger and stronger..

Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 AM

604 posts, read 4,248,160 times
I have great luck going @ Goodwill, usually around affluent areas. It's true that 75% of the stuff is crappy so you gotta give yourself time to look. There is only one that I like but I found if you ask around people will let you know of good places to try.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,169,454 times
I love shopping at thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales. You never know, but some items I have found still had the tag (from a mall or department store) still on them. That means the person who bought them there never wore it and forgot about it. Some of my jeans were like that (brand new, never, ever been worn). Sometimes you get lucky to find those.

But I love going to there to buy cheap workout clothes, for jogging and doing Pilates. It's better than getting brand new, when they will get sweaty and dirty very soon.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:14 PM

368 posts, read 1,777,641 times
I love thrift! We are upper middle income so it is not really a money issue. What it is is finding treasures with life still in them for a fraction of the cost. I have a real affinity for older things, so maybe that's why this appeals to me so much. I have bought many, many things at estate sales as well, which ususally are a bit nicer than a garage sale. My dad and I used to go when I was growing up, and he just instilled in me a love for classic things. Certainly classic things can be bought new, but well loved items have a patina that cannot be found in newer things. Fabrics and the cut of clothes are a little different - maybe more refined - as well. I specifically find good clothes and accessories at ladies exchanges. The Assistance League comes to mind. I never walk out empty handed, ever. I like to think of it as a more varied form of recycling!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:00 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,288,837 times
If you want to keep stuff out of landfills, try freecycle.com. Better than throwing stuff out.

I get a weird feeling at thrift stores. I would love to shop there (if the stuff is a sale) but I (and my husband) feel 'the vibes' off the used stuff..yes, it's odd, but that's how I get.

I also agree about cheap things (like furniture) at Walmart. The quality is horrible. We rent an apartment in and old house and it's so nice to have 'real wood doors with ceramic handles..not pressboard and those horrible fake 'gold' handles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living