U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 PM

712 posts, read 1,221,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Plus, the proceeds go to charity! Are there any drawbacks?
Dont be fooled. Thrift Stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army all those places rake in a TON of money and a small portion of that goes to the needy. It is all a gimmick just like recycling companies. They make TONS of cash. Dont be fooled by their "tax status".

For example, prices at most Goodwill locations are outragous. They price old CD's for like $5.99, when you can go to eBay and pay $1 for the same with cheap shipping. You will see T-shirts for $8.99, pants for $12.99. It doesnt seem right, even Walmart beats that. Those items should be MUCH cheaper if you are gonna help the needy.

Most of the money these outfits make go to their corporate offices, payroll, gas and alot of other expenses. They do help the needy, but it's like 20-25% of the proceeds that are used for that.

But yes you *can* find nice deals at those places if you know where to look or live in a smaller town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 PM

2,738 posts, read 9,350,223 times
The Goodwill in my area has great bargains. Many things are donated by large stores like Macy's. Books are $1.99. I've never bought clothing, but I never saw it at prices like that.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:58 AM

247 posts, read 1,154,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Dont be fooled. Thrift Stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army all those places rake in a TON of money and a small portion of that goes to the needy. It is all a gimmick just like recycling companies. They make TONS of cash. Dont be fooled by their "tax status".

For example, prices at most Goodwill locations are outragous. They price old CD's for like $5.99, when you can go to eBay and pay $1 for the same with cheap shipping. You will see T-shirts for $8.99, pants for $12.99. It doesnt seem right, even Walmart beats that. Those items should be MUCH cheaper if you are gonna help the needy.

Most of the money these outfits make go to their corporate offices, payroll, gas and alot of other expenses. They do help the needy, but it's like 20-25% of the proceeds that are used for that.

But yes you *can* find nice deals at those places if you know where to look or live in a smaller town.
It's not like that in my town. We have 2 thrift stores, all staffed by volunteers and all the money goes back into the charities. Pants are generally $1.00 to $3.00 and shirts $1.00 or .50. Then they have the "bag sales" - $5.00 per grocery bag and whatever you can stuff in there.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM

2,662 posts, read 5,142,490 times
Quote:

I agree..Most of the things there are way overpriced, especially for the condition they are in. Furniture is a prime example. Plus, I don't believe you can bargain or negotiate a lower price.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:04 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,151,473 times
Quote:

It's more like 75-80% that goes into the programs that help the needy... and the other 20% goes for operating expenses (wages, and what you listed above). If the shops are donation-based and volunteer-run, it's usually only the building, lights and heat that are deducted from the amount that goes back into helping the needy.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,652 times
Ok I see this forum is quite old but hopefully people are still reading,,,Anyways my take on the whole second hand thing is shopping couldn't be better. I hate crowded malls, and discount stores seem to have all the same old crap,,, I never find anything new or unusual.I visit all thrift stores and live up to my name, personal items such as undies, and nylons ect are bought new for sanitary reasons, I don't think you are any safer from rashes and ect... by buying new as people try those clothes on before buying in most stores and can transmit anything any how,, washing and dry cleaning is a good idea,,, but I have never found a problem in all the time I have bought second hand.Now this is something I truly would like to share, in the summer time and fall my hubbie and I research exactly what we are looking for by going through magazines and catalogs and we make a list of everything we would like to have,,, then we start planning a trip, such as a weekend excursion starting in kennebunkport maine and heading up the coast to as far away as belfast maine and surrounding area's. We print out the locations of all secondhand stores in the area we will be traveling and first thing in the morning we head out to go shopping,,, we hit every store on our way up the coast,,, with our lists in hand and we find as many of the treasures we can. One weekend I had an outfit from Cold water creek I wanted badly, well I decided if I could find something close to the outfit I would be doing well,,, so off I went to goodwill picture in hand,,, I found the exact shirt for 4.99 in one goodwill and later that day got the pants for 6.99 so for 12 bucks I was styling,,,lol the best deal was a jacket I saw on QVC that I picked up for 3.50 ! It was marked 6.99 but had a blue tag which was half price.Then we eat out as we travel and that night we stay in a hotel and in the morning we head out again... makes for a fun and exciting weekend and we get to meet people, find treasures, and site see all at once. I find a lot of the prices are high,,, but there are those deals out there and you just have to hunt them out. Always head out with a game plan and know exactly what you are looking for and what your willing to pay. Here in Maine all donations given to Goodwill are brought to a central location and distributed back so that each store gets an equal share of the good things. So your better off to visit more then one location. Consignment shops are a little higher but you can negotiate on price where goodwill and such prices are firm. I dislike the Salvation Army as the clothing isn't as clean and most just throw junk on the shelves and never try it to see if it works. I have seen old washed out blouses for ten dollars that I would have figured were throw away material,,, any newer nice looking items prices are sky high,,, Contrary to popular believe Goodwill and Salvation Army is not all volunteer workers,,, most of the help is paid,,, and paid well. When it all started it was volunteer and used handicapped people so they could get trained to perform a job later on, but now they have an application process to work in their stores just as walmart ect... only the soup kitchens and that type of service is volunteer and even they have paid workers with the same requirements as any other job, insurance ect... Yes they do get donations but storage facilities, stores, workers, (goodwill does clean it's merchandise) cleaning costs ect add up. Now I am not sure about elsewhere but around here the salvation army would be better off lowering some of the prices and selling the things they have rather then having them hang on racks and then bagging them up to sell as rags (which they do) and going to waste.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:59 PM

520 posts, read 2,246,984 times
i shop often at thrift stores. I have found the best to be St. Vincent de Paul stores. You really have to take the time to look, but they are the cheapest by far and you can find some real gems. Next on my list are Salvation Army thrift stores. These stores are hit or miss, depending on where they are. Some you can get great deals and they have good variety, others just plain suck with high prices. Goodwill also has high prices compared to other thrift stores, though they are clean and organized.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:33 PM

10,729 posts, read 19,087,821 times
I used to enjoy shopping at thrift stores - but they really are overpriced many times.

(SecondhandRose) - I couldn't deal with reading your thread - a 5" paragraph is too much.

I actually try to find families in need, etc. when I am donating.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,529,005 times
I go to Salvation Army on half-price days and find some really good deals.

I look for value, cashmere and wool sweaters, etc. Everything I have on at this moment came from Salvation Army.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 PM

8,187 posts, read 21,763,813 times
Thrifts stores were better before eBay, before all of the treasure hunters picked through all of the good stuff to turn around and sell for $$$ on eBay.

Before that you could still find a nice pair of pants for $1.00. and a set of Fiesta plates for $2.00.

Thrift stores in Maine suck. They are all full of effin' LL Bean garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living