U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I used to enjoy shopping at thrift stores - but they really are overpriced many times.

(SecondhandRose) - I couldn't deal with reading your thread - a 5" paragraph is too much.

I actually try to find families in need, etc. when I am donating.

Sorry about the long thread,,, I get excited when talking about this stuff,,, it's my favorite pastime. Besides if my experiences can help someone else find a bargain then so be it. I too donate, but when shopping I think a method is a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:40 PM

13,113 posts, read 17,652,758 times
I love them especially for clothes . When I was working in an office everyone used to ask me where do you get your clothes ? I told them the goodwill and they said OMG they look so nice I never knew the goodwill had nice things like that . You have to look through the racks though to find the deals and there are alot of name brand clothes in the place for little next to nothing . I love second hand stores .

Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 PM

515 posts, read 1,148,048 times
I like thrift stores. I like to shop at Designer Consignment Stores. Jeans that originally cost 280$ down to 40-80$. It's well worth it.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:57 PM

410 posts, read 935,057 times
I love to shop second-hand. Thrift stores are great but some (in my area, Salvation Army) have gotten too expensive, although I still hit them from time to time. We still have Goodwill and other independent thrift stores. Church or organization rummage sales are great and usually dirt cheap. Estate sales can also be great if you shop on the last day (usually Sunday, when things are marked down 50% or 75%).

I hardly buy anything new anymore. It gives me great satisfaction knowing that I am helping the environment, supporting charity, saving money, and keeping the money in America all at the same time. I used to have a huge house filled with probably 90% second hand stuff and I got lots of compliments. I've since downsized and rarely buy anything I don't need anymore. I did go to WalMart the other day for a phone charger and I still feel guilty about it.

The other day I bought a TV/VCR combo at Goodwill that works great for $10. I've found lots of antiques and books and once found a Pendleton coat. I could go on for days about all the stuff I've gotten for a song over the years. I buy my towels and linens at estate sales--usually they are brand new and often never even opened.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,466,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Sad part around here is the second hand stores have ridiculous prices for things. Both stores have all their inventory donated so I don't see why they put such high prices on stuff. It would benefit them more having lower prices especially since our county has a high rate of unemployment.
Jaxson, make sure that some of those thrift stores are non-profits organizations, for instance here in miami we have a real large one called "Red white and blue" for years this thrift store was a non profit organization and collected good to give a percentage to Veterans...until one day they got sued..because the thrift store had been turned from a non-profit organization to a privately owned for profit organization and did not posted on the window like they are supposed to do.

Their trucks still say for veterans but in fact, the thrift store is privately owned.

Also, since alot of thrift stores know now adays know that people not only shop for goods for their homes-but lots of people shop in them to re-sell on Ebay...the prices have gone up.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:59 PM

18,093 posts, read 20,061,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
Jaxson, make sure that some of those thrift stores are non-profits organizations,
They are both non profit I think they are just trying to get the ebay crowds. Neither one of them clear out their inventory by offering half price day or fill a bag for $5 which would help get rid of things. Some of the stuff have been sitting on the shelves for a couple of years.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 AM

125 posts, read 180,825 times
I went to the local thrift store the other day and a lady friend that works there asked if I still collected old books.
I said that I would be interested in looking at what she had and she came up with a stack of story books from 1938 and 1939.
I bought them for 50 cents each and will keep them and resale them one day.
I agree with one of the previous comments in the fact that buying used meterial, is not only thrifty, it keeps money in your community and does not support companies that have gone overseas to get cheap labor and make cheap products and screw the USA

Old 02-22-2009, 08:28 AM

125 posts, read 180,825 times
Default Hello!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
I like thrift stores. I like to shop at Designer Consignment Stores. Jeans that originally cost 280$ down to 40-80$. It's well worth it.
Anyone that would spend even $40 for a pair of jeans should have their head examined!!! I don't care if they are DESIGNER!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,602,480 times
I have found that I LOVE shopping @ Goodwill. In fact, they had a sale 3 weeks ago where ALL kids clothes were $1.50 each!!! I got the girls about 6 or 7 pieces each. For less than a pair of jeans @ Target!!

And the best thing - my son likes going to find clothes. And you can go in at any time and see quite a few kids (boys and girls) there. And I've been told many of them are the "popular" ones.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 7 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,691,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I have found that I LOVE shopping @ Goodwill. In fact, they had a sale 3 weeks ago where ALL kids clothes were $1.50 each!!! I got the girls about 6 or 7 pieces each. For less than a pair of jeans @ Target!!

And the best thing - my son likes going to find clothes. And you can go in at any time and see quite a few kids (boys and girls) there. And I've been told many of them are the "popular" ones.
In California I always found Salvation Army the place for furnature. They have the Moonlight Madness sale, which is the last Friday of the month or the Friday after the last day. Anything that was on sale the previouls month is half off, and if its two months old its half of and half off. They tend to sell very nice furnature over Goodwill, which tends to be junky. They clothes they sell are nice too.

I also LOVE the Lutheran Thrift stores. They tend not to sort and pidgon hole things like the bigger ones and the prices are lower. But if your willing to go through a box you can find some really good bargains.

Hospice is good too. Mostly clothes but very good stuff for really good prices. I got a German made wool coat a few years ago, winter weight which had done we well here in Ok in the winter, for 20 dollars. It was priced 30 but was on sale. But either way it was a steal.

Thrift shops are the ONE thing I miss about where I used to live in socal. We have a nice store here and I got about 12 long sleved tops for 25 cents apeace this fall, but I wish there were more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living