Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramona97 View Post
I was wondering what all you single and child free people spend on food each month, and would like suggestions on how to lower my food bill.

In an effort to save money I've eliminated most luxuries in my life, yet I feel my food budget still needs work.

I spend 500$ a month for myself.

keep in mind that I don't want to be eating ramen noodles/spaghetti for the entire month
and I have no stove/oven/microwave, crockpot/pans etc

thanks
I probably average about $40 week for food. I don't have a kitchen stove either but I DO have a large electric fry pan, two crockpots...one large, one small...microwave, convection oven, Geo. Foreman grill, waffle iron, bread maker and a two burner hot plate, which I rarely use. It's good for keeping food hot but not so much for actual cooking. It takes 'forever' just to boil water so I cook my pasta, etc. in the electric fry pan. Of course I built all this up over time but I haven't missed having a stove for 3.5 years now.

I cook on my days off for the week, usually four servings of two different meals. Have two meals and freeze two meals for another time. I share with my mom too.

I can't imagine spending $500 month on food unless I ate all my meals out.

You can get all those small appliances pretty cheap at a big box store or even cheaper at thrift stores, yard sales, Craigslist, etc.. It will pay in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 AM

106,236 posts, read 108,237,907 times
as we said discussing this in another thread everyone of us has our own ideas about what their meals and food budget are.

no one should get defensive about what they eat when others don't find it appealing or appetizing.

those folks have to realize not everyone wants to live on a limited food budget or can.

like i say watch the show bizarre foods and see what folks all over the world call a meal.

as for myself i don't consider a salad or soup food. those are things that go with food.

a salad to me is the promisary note that food will soon arrive. others call it a meal.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as we said discussing this in another thread everyone of us has our own ideas about what their meals and food budget are.

no one should get defensive about what they eat when others don't find it appealing or appetizing.

those folks have to realize not everyone wants to live on a limited food budget or can.

like i say watch the show bizarre foods and see what folks all over the world call a meal.

as for myself i don't consider a salad or soup food. those are things that go with food.

a salad to me is the promisary note that food will soon arrive. others call it a meal.
The OP wasn't asking what you eat or think of her diet. She was asking what others budget for food and how she could lower her food bill.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM

200 posts, read 481,409 times
OMG!!! OMG!!! Have I said, OMG???? FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH ON FOOD???????????????? You must be eating out on every meal and eating each time at the local Steak and Lobster restaurant. OMG.

$115-125 a month is what I'm spending currently AND what I spent 4 years ago before the recession. I cook. Therefore, I am. I think your parents must never have taught you how to spend/save money. Hire me and I'll show you. My fee is $500 a month.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,234,112 times
Absolutely buy a crockpot or two. Nothing beats the smell of pot roast, potatoes and carrots when you walk through the front door. Italian Wedding soup can be in the smaller one. The money that you save you will be able to go on two high end vacations a year. kelsie

Old 01-01-2013, 04:09 PM

106,236 posts, read 108,237,907 times
Here in nyc for 2 of us 600 amonth not including the fact we usually see the kids on weekends and go out.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM

15,836 posts, read 21,369,827 times
I spend about $350 a month living in Boston. My downfall is the boyfriend - I go over to his house, he gets too lazy too cook, and we end up ordering. To start the new year, I'm cutting my budget to $50 a week by cooking all of my own meals, keeping a stockpile of easy to make foods at the boyfriend's house (as well as things like portions of homemade ziti in his freezer), and shifting most of my shopping to Aldi's.

A big saver is breakfast and lunch at work. I keep packets of quick-cook oatmeal that I got on sale in my desk at work. For lunch, I make a big meal on Sunday (normally something like a variation on chicken pot pie, baked ziti, etc) and eat it every day for lunch. You can literally save hundreds of dollars a month just by bringing your lunch.

You can do a whole lot with a crockpot and a toaster oven. One of my favorite things to do in college was to make foil packets in the toaster oven - combine rice or a chopped potato with whichever frozen veggie you prefer, some spices (a container of Mrs. Dash spice blends goes a LONG way), and a protein (either beans or chicken). If you use rice, also throw in enough water to cook it. Close up the packet and in half an hour, the foil packet has steamed itself cooked all for less than $2 a serving. You can also reuse the foil.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,087,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Nothing beats the smell of pot roast, potatoes and carrots when you walk through the front door.
My thoughts exactly! YUM! Don't forget the onions and mushrooms.

When you put something in a slow cooker, you can get away with a cheaper cut of meat. It will become tender (and delicious) during the slow cook process. MMMMMMMM

Homemade spaghetti sauce is excellent in a slow cooker. So is the start to chicken noodle soup. Just don't put the raw noodles in and expect great results. They'll only turn out gummy.

Did someone say, "dinner"?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 PM

33 posts, read 69,953 times
those foil packets sound like a good idea

thanks everyone

Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 PM

33 posts, read 69,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinhobo View Post
OMG!!! OMG!!! Have I said, OMG???? FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH ON FOOD???????????????? You must be eating out on every meal and eating each time at the local Steak and Lobster restaurant. OMG.

$115-125 a month is what I'm spending currently AND what I spent 4 years ago before the recession. I cook. Therefore, I am. I think your parents must never have taught you how to spend/save money. Hire me and I'll show you. My fee is $500 a month.
nope

usually fast food, some sushi here and there and chipotle

i'm hoping to shave a couple hundred dollars off a month once i get that crockpot/toaster oven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living