U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times

Advertisements

My brother was remodeling his place when things went wrong and he ran out of money before putting in a kitchen. He has a small fridge, like you see in dorm rooms, that will fit below the cabinets. He's lived with that for the last 6 months and has no plans to get a bigger one even as installs counters and whatnot. He's single and lives alone so that probably has a lot to do with it and he doesn't cook much. I could never do it. NEVER. My condiments alone would fill up a fridge that size!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,197,784 times
We lived in our off-the-grid cabin in NM for a year with solar & a dorm-size frig which we wrapped in silver bubble insulation. Still, it used a lot of our solar, so we would often unplug in the winter & fill with snow/ice packs from outside.

We wanted our solar for Wild Blue internet LOL

I missed my freezer for storing roasted green chiles!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 AM

10,278 posts, read 9,970,295 times
Here is an encapsulation of the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Does anyone here on this forum use a mini-fridge, or none at all? If so, share your tips! Thanks.
Here is an encapsulation of 90% of the responses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 90% View Post
I could NEVER live with a small fridge!

I want the biggest fridge and the biggest knockers.

I don't want to live like a Neanderthal.

I'm not poor.

I'm not from a third world country.

It's not the American way.

Bigger fridges use less power per square foot of storage.

It can't be done.

You're a fool for trying to do it. blah, blah, blah...

Does anyone here, besides me, see anything wrong with this picture?

I'm interested in this topic as well. I would love to see some more USEFUL suggestions. I tried to give a useful tip, as was asked: It was, basically, to modify your diet to include fewer foods that require cooling. Lisa offered a good suggestion as well. So did a scarce few others. And then there is everyone else who posted here... why again?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,197,784 times
Yes, Chris, we used a lot of root vegetables yams, potatoes, onions, garlic, and winter squashes and fruits that didn't need refrigeration in the winter when solar was a bit sketchy.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
If anyone wants to live without a fridge, it doesn't bother me. But I can't see were it is the best way to be frugal. A used fridge is cheap or even free, and the power to run one is pretty low for the return you get from it.

My grocery bill is much smaller because I shop in bulk and buy things on sale. My gasoline bill for the car is much smaller because I don't run into town to shop very often. The only way that I can see where living without a fridge would save money (but only on the power bill) would be if you were one of those people who eat every meal in restaurants, or else one of the few people who live within walking distance of every store you need so that you can buy everything for each meal as you need it and you don't store food at home. Neither of those lifestyles is the cheapest way to eat

Now, I know some people live like that, and that's fine if that is what they choose, but it is not frugal.

For myself, I have 2 crisper drawers full of veterinary supplies for my livestock and if I can treat even one animal at home and not have to call the vet, the savings to not pay for one vet visit is enough to run that fridge for 2 years.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM

22,670 posts, read 28,551,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm interested in this topic as well. I would love to see some more USEFUL suggestions. I tried to give a useful tip, as was asked: It was, basically, to modify your diet to include fewer foods that require cooling. Lisa offered a good suggestion as well. So did a scarce few others. And then there is everyone else who posted here... why again?
im not really sure why you would have a goal that has no benefits. its like setting a goal to be 50 pounds overweight and figuring out how to do it. whats the point?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
You would like hints for living without a fridge? Home can everything in one meal size jars. Heat and eat, wash the jar, and put it away for next canning session. Don't have any leftovers. Eat lots of fruit and veg that can be left out on the counter, and either eat all you cook, or throw away the leftovers.

Use a live butcher, so you can purchase only one pork chop or 1/4 pound of ground beef for one meal. Walk straight home and cook it immediately and eat it all. Use dried grains and beans and only cook 1 meals worth at a time (big waste of fuel, there)

You can dry fruit, meat, and veggies, but be careful. I keep my home made jerky in the freezer. Home dried can mildew if you don't do a perfect job of drying and storing. Unless the fruit and veg are home grown or bought on a super sale, it is not cheap to make dehydrated foods.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 AM

18 posts, read 23,555 times
Default Yes, it is cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I somehow doubt that!
A fridge is 40 degrees or less... do you seriously keep your house that cold in the winter?
Yes, I do. There is snow on the ground. I only heat the room I am in with a small electric heater.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Hell, no.
I have a food fridge and a drink fridge.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM

10,278 posts, read 9,970,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My grocery bill is much smaller because I shop in bulk and buy things on sale. My gasoline bill for the car is much smaller because I don't run into town to shop very often. The only way that I can see where living without a fridge would save money (but only on the power bill) would be if you were one of those people who eat every meal in restaurants, or else one of the few people who live within walking distance of every store you need so that you can buy everything for each meal as you need it and you don't store food at home. Neither of those lifestyles is the cheapest way to eat
No they're not. You're absolutely right.

So, and this is what the essence of the thread is about, can you think of other lifestyle/technology changes that would be effective, efficient, and less costly, under the restriction of the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or