U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,639,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I was messing around and put a thermostat in my fridge. Low and behold it's been at 50F. So this is another thought.... you don't need to set your fridge to 37F and you would save money obviously on your electric bill by running it warmer to your own comfort level (I'm sure 50F would freak some people out).
To each his own. Bacteria thrive between 40 and 140 degrees F; so keeping the fridge below 40 will slow bacteria growth and preserve food longer. If you don't keep perishables around very long you'll probably be fine, personally I'm not going to risk it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM

22,714 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
I was messing around and put a thermostat in my fridge. Low and behold it's been at 50F. So this is another thought.... you don't need to set your fridge to 37F and you would save money obviously on your electric bill by running it warmer to your own comfort level (I'm sure 50F would freak some people out).
Yes, that'd freak me out. Why have a refrigerator if it doesn't keep food fresh.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,800 posts, read 37,476,508 times
I do like COLD milk, but a 22CF (0.6M\3) frig is a bit overkill. Frig is pretty tough on the power bill.

A small frig and a DECENT sized chest freezer would get me by.

I have a 40 yr old med size chest freezer that seems to be QUITE happy, inexpensive and reliable. It is plenty big. (I stock up on wild salmon and wild berries in Aug, and 3 turkeys at Thanksgiving ($0.19/#)). I can dry my berries and cook and seal my turkey if I need to 'downsize'.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 390 times
Default Table top fridge & Coolbox

Hello everyone,

I have a small table top fridge which holds 32 litres and no stand alone freezer, however I also live in Manchester UK which becomes a fridge freezer in the winter time and have recently purchased a 68 litre cool box which keeps fresh vegetables fresh and cooler with home made ice packs. I have found the cool box to be very useful in the summer because it has freed up some space in my fridge.

My ice packs are made from 200ml cosmetic bottles filled with salty water and food dye (prevents accidental use). The vegetables stay very fresh but that is because I rotate the freezer packs every 6 hours or so. The fridge has a small freezer compartment which is big enough to hold 3 small freezer packs at a time.

I cook about 4 meals at any time at once so I do not have to cook every day, I store my home cooked food in the fridge and this works well for me because there is no meat in the fridge and my home cooked food tastes good too!!

I want a freezer, I have space for a freezer but I am trying very hard not to buy one at the moment!

Old 06-13-2017, 01:05 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,501,625 times
I need a fridge. I briefly rented a room and it included a small fridge and burners. I made it work but that is no way to live. I like having a full fridge and stove. I also prepare most of my meals. Eating out is more expensive than preparing your own meals.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:32 AM

27,195 posts, read 11,367,475 times
Quote:
That is not safe, bacteria starts to grow at 40 degrees and most perishable food kept at 50 degrees should be thrown out after 2 hours:

Saving food after a power outage

Old 06-18-2017, 09:17 PM

11,625 posts, read 5,472,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I've had this on my mind for a few years now (since living in rural Mexico). Many people (the economic underclass---which is the majority there) don't have refrigerators because 1) they buy, cook and eat fresh food each day, 2) most cannot afford the extra cost for the electricity, and 3) they simply are not accustomed to using one. Now....I realize we are all accustomed to using a refrigerator and probably cannot imagine life without one. And, I totally get the food-borne illness defense. But I have to think that most people here in the US could use much smaller refrigerators. I have also noticed in my travels that many homes in the UK have much smaller fridges than we do. I have often wondered why so many Americans have gigantic refrigerators, and yet it seems fewer people actually cook at home anymore.

Does anyone here on this forum use a mini-fridge, or none at all? If so, share your tips! Thanks.

Here's a little food for thought to get the ideas flowing...

Living without a Fridge and Beyond
I don't have a gigantic one, but I hated using a mini-fridge when I had to for a short time. The normal sized one went kaput. And I wanted time to shop for a deal. The freezer section is basically not there. I don't even cook a lot but I couldn't fit what I needed to in there. Think how much space just a head of lettuce takes. I don't want to buy milk every day in smaller containers, and those cost more, btw. Everything costs more the smaller of an amount you buy

I paid just under $500 on a sale for a standard size brand new with a couple 'bells' (no whistles). An icemaker, a shelf in the freezer, which was an upgrade from my prior one where everything had to be stacked on top of each other, and I can control the humidity amount in the veggie drawers. How much more can it possibly cost in electricity to be worth buying smaller quantities? And for me, bending down for everything.

In college, I bought one for $150 used. (which is still running in my parent's garage btw!) A little smaller than standard size but not much. Nowhere near as small as a mini-fridge.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:21 PM

459 posts, read 143,076 times
I live in an RV, so my fridge/freezer is on the small side. I never go out to eat, and I go to the grocery store about once a week. It's never more than half full. That's because I only buy cold things at the store that I'm going to eat within a week. There's no ice maker, but that's not a big deal. I can fill up ice cube trays and place them in the freezer myself; it's quite simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or