Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times

Advertisements

I love Aldi's for some things. Great prices on milk, dairy, etc. Very small selection of produce and meat, but some of the frozen stuff is better and cheaper than the huge chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 01:20 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Aldi ..sometimes they have good deals. I do get some produce there...had good luckwith peppers, cucumbers, carrots, etc (but you have to look). Things like berrys & furit..no...I'm picky and get mine elsewhere....though I've had good luck with their pears...

(berrys are really a high-cost item for me and go bad fast from other places, too, so If I'm going to get them I really look close, and know certain other stores that have fresher...)

Aldis is also a good place to get staples (salt...very cheap... and pepper), some canned things, pickles, and they have good deals on chococlate and better candy (alot of their candy is imported from Germany), and they also have some German items like pumpernickle that is pretty cheap...relative to specialty stores or higher end grocery stores.

I also like their soft cookies.

@@@

Aldi is actually sort of controversial, suprsingly enough. I've been told they wanted to open a new store in the eastern suburbs of Louisville and encounterd some vocal (and ugly) NIMBY opposition. I guess Aldi is sort of consdered low class or a symbol of low income or something (perhaps like a dollar store).

@@@

For me it works for some things...

@@@

...Aldi is pretty interesting though as they pretty much imported their store design and layout direct from Germany. Im familiar with Aldi from Germany years before it came to the US (back when it was called Albrecht). They had better quality stuff in their German stores, but still pitched to the budget/economy market.

The no-bags thing was unique to Aldi in Germany, as historically grocers in Germany didnt use those brown paper bags that we are familiar with in the US...you had to bring your own shopping bag. So what seems to us to be a quirk with Aldi used to be commonplace in Germany for groceries.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The no-bags thing was unique to Aldi in Germany, as historically grocers in Germany didnt use those brown paper bags that we are familiar with in the US...you had to bring your own shopping bag. So what seems to us to be a quirk with Aldi used to be commonplace in Germany for groceries.
When I started shopping at Aldi they didn't have bags for sale but a person could usually count on finding empty or near-empty shipping boxes on the shelves to carry groceries out. Once they started selling bags at the checkout the manager at that store would constantly patrol the aisles and snatch up any boxes that might be used before anyone could get them.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:08 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Aldi's helps me push my budget down closer to $30 a week rather than $50 a week. I buy almost everything there - potatoes, onions, dairy, meat (I don't eat much meat but generally their chicken is a lot cheaper than other stores), seasonings, instant oatmeal for work, eggs, cauliflower (always SO much cheaper than the grocery store!), and broccoli. I have to run to Stop and Shop for my kale, peppers, and fruit... but that's it! It works out nicely. My only downfall with Aldi's is they haven't gotten rid of their seasonal chocolate peppermint stuff (like chocolate peppermint oreos!) which are my weakness, so I keep getting snacks that I normally would never get. They should run out soon.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
aldi is a great place. i shop in multiple grocery stores regularly so there is no one place id say is perfect for getting everything. i will say that i am the one that does all the shopping for groceries since i go for the sales, but if my wife needs to get something ill send her to aldi. at least i know she wont get ripped off there. in general, i have been very happy with the quality of what i have bought there.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I shop at an ALDI store when I have the opportunity. Their prices for dairy products are very good as well juices, tuna, bread and oatmeal. Also one can get toilet paper there that is comparable to Scott toilet paper.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
I like Aldi's for milk, orange juice, a few canned foods, and CHOCOLATE ... they always have such a great selection of chocolates

Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Glad to hear some are enthusiastic about Aldi. The stores do vary around the country in terms of selection and quality. Good advice to do your research and know your prices before shopping there. I shop in a number of grocery stores, including Costco, and I do read the weekly ads that Aldi puts out. Worth checking out.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
We used Aldi last time in 2005 before we left TN. Have no doubt, it varies by management. But WE LOVE THE STORE AND WANT IT HERE. They stopped before the Rockies.
They NEVER had anything spoiled as everything was bought out instantly. Learn how to cook, so frozen food does not scare you. They had unbeatable pricing and a ton of household and electronics super well priced items.
Look how smart their carts system is?
You know they are Austrian by origin? That's why they had ton of goodness from Europe?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
We get the staples there. We go to Aldi's first then to Meijer's. Some of their stuff sucks though. Their tortilla chips by Clancy are salty as it gets. Flour, sugar, other things are cheaper though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living