Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 PM

96 posts, read 175,064 times

Advertisements

We love Aldi stores too. A new larger store recently opened here in N VA (Chantilly, VA) area and the service/managers are great.

I don't buy meats from Aldi (or other stores) since we have a farm and produce our own meats/produce/dairy, etc. However, the Special Buys are good, canned goods, baking items, snacks, steak sauce, spices, and other products.

I read online on an Aldi blog that P&G makes Aldi's HE liquid detergent and that is the same formula as Tide HE liquid, Aldi's generic cereals are made by Post and General Mills, Hunt's makes Aldi's ketchup, and Libby's makes some of their canned vegetables/canned fruit. If you Google Aldi "knock-off" brands, you will probably find confirmation of this. That is one way that Aldi keeps some of their prices so low, I believe.

Of course, German items and candies are imported too. Their breads, cookies, chips, etc. are also good.

Menmom1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Love it

Shop there first and then fill in the gaps at other stores.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
I love the one near where I live. Sounds like they can be hit or miss but the one here is just fantastic.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,641 times
We shop at Aldi on a weekly basis, but we can't do all our grocery shopping there. So we make two stops, but they are close by, so it is not out of our way. You have to do price comparisons, but we have found the quality of most of their stuff to be pretty darn good and usually you can save some cash. Some items we prefer over major brand name items. We buy mostly staple items, like milk, eggs, cereal etc., and some produce. In our store, there is usually a cashier and either a manager on the floor or another employee out on the floor. It can get pretty busy and sometimes they have to open up two lanes for checking out. I've noticed that their business has picked up significantly within the past year or two. There are definitely savings that make the stop worth your time.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Personally, I avoided Aldi like the plague for years.

One day, my wife called me and asked me to buy a box pf saltines. I generally don't buy them. I went to the local Jewel and found them at $2.49 for the store brand. That seemed really expensive so I passed and drove down the street at Aldi and found them at $0.90.

Over the last ten years, their selection has been a lot better. In many cases, they are carrying a lot of products similar to Trader Joe's. The quality has also improved.

Generally, I buy the following from Aldi:

Canned and dried goods.
Milk, cheese, yogurt.
Occasionally produce.
Occasionally frozen vegetables.

Never the meat and rarely any baked products as there are tons of better options.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
We don't have Aldi. Seems like everyone else does! My spouse grew up in Iowa and talks about Aldi still, but there are none here.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
I am familiar with Aldi from my college years in Scotland and my travels in Germany.

Interesting factoids:
~They are a global chain with origins in Germany.
~They do in fact have their items manufactured by major brand names we all know
~They aren't always the cheapest, but they often offer some steals.
~In the US, there tends to a greater quality variation between stores than in other countries
~Aldi is in fact 2 different corporations, Aldi Nord (Aldi North) and Aldi Süd (Aldi South) each at one time run by one of the two brothers. Aldi Süd is the more "international" of the two, operating Aldi stores in the US, Australia, Slovenia, the UK etc
~Aldi Nord owns Trader Joe's.

I myself didn't care for certain "prepared" items like pasta sauces, but I did use them for mayo, German meats, some frozen goods, butter, bagged salad, salt/spices, produce, and Haribo gummies.

If Aldi doesn't deliver on quality (and sometimes they don't, admittedly), then that is where Trader Joe's comes in. Many of my fellow Americans with me in Scotland (most of us were from NY, NJ, and CA) had their world's rocked when I told them that that ghetto grocery store in the poorer part of town owned Trader Joe's.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
OMG you have Aldi stores also out there in the US ? don't buy there , ot's low quality , it reminds me of Soviet Bloc State -owned outlets. Or when extreme capitalism closes the gap with communism ont the back of poor consumers who believe they make a good deal because Aldi is 2% cheaper than Walmart : slightly cheaper but VERY LOW QUALITY !

Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
oh and if you are looking for bio products, forget it, they don't do it!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
OMG you have Aldi stores also out there in the US ? don't buy there , ot's low quality , it reminds me of Soviet Bloc State -owned outlets. Or when extreme capitalism closes the gap with communism ont the back of poor consumers who believe they make a good deal because Aldi is 2% cheaper than Walmart : slightly cheaper but VERY LOW QUALITY !
I could not disagree more. I put off going to ALDI for at least a year after one was built here because I thought it would just be another low-quality discount store. Then I decided to try it one day and I was hooked! I have found ALDI to have EXCELLENT QUALITY on the items I purchase (posted earlier in this thread) Only the beef, chicken and baked goods have I found lacking. Otherwise the price and quality can't be beat. I shop first at ALDI every single week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living