Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,087,092 times

Advertisements

I've shopped at Aldi on occasion. I will generally buy staples such as flour, sugar, baking soda/powder, milk, eggs, cream cheese, and some canned veggies. I have never bought meat there, and I don't like the look of their veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,224,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm not sure if there is already a thread on this, but I'm wondering what people think about the Aldi stores. Around here, SE MI, they are a mixed bag. One that I've gone to may have a great deal on one thing, and then the rest of the stuff is questionable (frozen fish from China, old produce or produce with prices comparable to a regular grocery store). I don't mind bringing my own bags, but one thing can be a problem if you have a question about a price or an item, and there is no one to help other than the cashier. She has to leave her register to answer your question and then everyone in line has to wait. After I realized that was the case, I stopped asking for help on anything. I realize that having minimal staff keeps costs down, but I haven't been impressed with Aldi's products. Anyone else shop at Aldi?
You and me both. I am not impressed with Aldi items at all either.
I have one a block away, and bypass it all the time.
You can find frozen fish from China in Walmart too.
Being that we've lived in Wisconsin most of our lives, we never even heard of tilapia until like the last 10 to 12 years, we tried it, and it's just well, ok, barely edible. Maybe we're spoiled on trout, bluegill and perch?
We've purchased off brand ham portions from Aldi in the past that ended up being mostly fatty slime and water.
The long lines? yes, almost all of the time. I can't figure out how the company stays in business.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,916,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
You and me both. I am not impressed with Aldi items at all either.
I have one a block away, and bypass it all the time.
You can find frozen fish from China in Walmart too.
Being that we've lived in Wisconsin most of our lives, we never even heard of tilapia until like the last 10 to 12 years, we tried it, and it's just well, ok, barely edible. Maybe we're spoiled on trout, bluegill and perch?
We've purchased off brand ham portions from Aldi in the past that ended up being mostly fatty slime and water.
The long lines? yes, almost all of the time. I can't figure out how the company stays in business.

^^
reminds me of the people who say they went to a yard sale once and saw nothing but junk so they never went to another one and wonder why others still go................never mind that Rembrandt in the corner....

I've been an Aldi shopper for at least 20 years and have saved thousands in the process without sacrificing quality. Just the staples though and produce and dairy- rarely meat- I go the Shoprite for that as well as the specials. We were almost out of peanut butter before the last big snowstorm so I went to our nearby Target and got Jif-nobody in the family liked it as well as the Aldi peanut butter. Where else can you find whole pineapples for 99 cents? and 1/2 &1/2 for $1.49? I do agree with the person who said that the seasonal items can be frustrating. I recently had to buy about 5 jars of molasses because I know it's a short timer. The Aldi's here in NJ don't offer wine but when we drive to Florida we stock up before we drive home. It's fine for us- and has actually been rated higher than much pricer "name brand" wines. In all my 20 years of shopping there I think I've returned maybe 1 or 2 items- I wish I remembered what they were- cocktail sauce i think- or maybe tarter sauce-overall very very pleased with them- and I'm somewhat picky.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,167,358 times
Talapia is found in nearly every store in the US. I do not see its great appeal but that is another store.

My approach has always been pretty much the same. Try the Aldi product. If it meets my expectation, I know that I will save 20-40% compared to the Jewel (SuperValu) and Dominick's (Safeway) stores in the area. If the product is really bad, I return it for a refund - without questions.

There are some name brand items - Jif Peanut Butter is one - that I prefer and I will buy elsewhere. Fortunately for my budget, there are pretty minimal.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
^^
reminds me of the people who say they went to a yard sale once and saw nothing but junk so they never went to another one and wonder why others still go................never mind that Rembrandt in the corner....

I've been an Aldi shopper for at least 20 years and have saved thousands in the process without sacrificing quality. Just the staples though and produce and dairy- rarely meat- I go the Shoprite for that as well as the specials. We were almost out of peanut butter before the last big snowstorm so I went to our nearby Target and got Jif-nobody in the family liked it as well as the Aldi peanut butter. Where else can you find whole pineapples for 99 cents? and 1/2 &1/2 for $1.49? I do agree with the person who said that the seasonal items can be frustrating. I recently had to buy about 5 jars of molasses because I know it's a short timer. The Aldi's here in NJ don't offer wine but when we drive to Florida we stock up before we drive home. It's fine for us- and has actually been rated higher than much pricer "name brand" wines. In all my 20 years of shopping there I think I've returned maybe 1 or 2 items- I wish I remembered what they were- cocktail sauce i think- or maybe tarter sauce-overall very very pleased with them- and I'm somewhat picky.
Oh, I know what you're saying. I know people who'll swear by Aldi products, except I'm not one of those.
Our local Aldi sells bananas for 29 cents a pound and apples for 59 cents a pound, but they only sell them in large quantities. We, my wife and I can't consume 10 pounds of bananas or 20 pounds of apples before they go bad. I used to buy Aldi coffee, but found better tasting off brand coffee at Walmart.

To each his own.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 AM

61,428 posts, read 86,487,068 times
^^^ They don't sell 10lb bananas and 20lb apples.....

Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Ours does. Bananas are bundled in plastic, and the apples are in large bags like potatoes.
If I go near there today, I'll try to get photos and post them.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You know what they say about people who ASSume!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Ours does. Bananas are bundled in plastic, and the apples are in large bags like potatoes.
If I go near there today, I'll try to get photos and post them.
I don't buy bananas there but I DO buy the Granny Smith apples, not sure what the bag weighs but I eat them up within a week. They are ALWAYS delicious and crisp, and HALF the price of the regular grocery store. I have only occasionally had any issue with ALDI produce, usually with the bag of onions; always a couple going bad in there. Otherwise, it is mostly all fresh and really cheap, and whenever possible, locally sourced.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:27 PM

10,600 posts, read 12,059,835 times
No Aldi for me. But I have bought there for other people.
For me the cheaper prices, seem to reflect cheaper quality so not really what I'm looking for, for me.
And it doesn't have organic. (I'm never seen it the very few times I've been.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living