Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 AM

104 posts, read 420,140 times

Advertisements

It's just me and my toddler, so I don't need big stockpiles of food, shampoo etc. I cook almost everything from scratch, the only processed/convenience foods I buy are pre bagged apple slices- worth the extra for me with a toddler on the go, fruit snacks for her, and snacks for me-special k pastry bars and kashi squares. I meal plan 2wks-1 month at a time and save quite a bit that way.
Every time I've tried to get into couponing to save money, I end up spending more on the Sunday paper than I saved in groceries. My grocery budget is around $200 per month, I'd like to get that down to $150.

Any tips/tricks to share? Is something about the coupon game I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,688,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calitransplant27 View Post
It's just me and my toddler, so I don't need big stockpiles of food, shampoo etc. I cook almost everything from scratch, the only processed/convenience foods I buy are pre bagged apple slices- worth the extra for me with a toddler on the go, fruit snacks for her, and snacks for me-special k pastry bars and kashi squares. I meal plan 2wks-1 month at a time and save quite a bit that way.
Every time I've tried to get into couponing to save money, I end up spending more on the Sunday paper than I saved in groceries. My grocery budget is around $200 per month, I'd like to get that down to $150.

Can you find a cheaper source of coupons? Where we last lived, for example (in the Bay Area), we had a weekly local paper that was delivered free to all homes, and then cost a quarter when you bought it from a stand. It had the same coupons in it as did the more expensive "big" newspaper. I also got a really good deal for Sunday delivery from a different newspaper -- $20 for a year of Sundays, which was worth it for the coupons (and also because I still like a physical paper).

We have a small family and I avoid most processed food, but still find coupons to be helpful. Although most of the coupons out there are for processed stuff, there has still often been enough that I've been able to save a decent amount of money. A lot of that has been on non-grocery items; I don't stockpile much, but if you "stack" the coupons right with a sale you can get things like toothpaste, etc., very cheaply (I tend to only use coupons if the product is already on sale). And if you have double coupon days where you live, you can really start to save!

If you don't want to deal with it, though, I think you can trim your budget in other ways besides coupons. They're a useful tool, but probably not as good as shopping the sales and cooking from scratch.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM

104 posts, read 420,140 times
Hmm I am in Atlanta, have not seen a free paper with coupons. I'll have to do some digging.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM

15,130 posts, read 27,690,200 times
You can always ask on Freecycle and Craigslist for inserts that people may not be using.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM

32,582 posts, read 47,773,759 times
I will use coupons only if the coupon is for something I use anyway. I see those big lists of stuff that someone has gotten for nearly free and I don't use any of the items on the list. It would not be worth it to me to spend the time clipping the coupons.

If you get onto the grocery store's mailing list, they will send you a flyer every month with their sale items and coupons. There are coupons that can be downloaded from the internet. You don't have to buy a newspaper.

Costco mails me their coupons and this month I will use the coupon for Craisins and the one for liquid hand soap. I use those items on a regular basis, so I will take advantage of the $2.00 off.

The very easiest way to save grocery money is to learn to bake. You can make a $4 loaf of artesan bread for 50 cents. I make my own granola bars, but I don't think they are cheaper. Costco sells nature valley granola bars for a very low price. Mine are a lot better, but they do cost more.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM

32,582 posts, read 47,773,759 times
Also, I make the home made laundry detergent. It's easy to make and costs me about $1 for 2 gallons. It does an excellent job of cleaning clothes. That's a huge savings over using Tide.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,073,603 times
Try your local library and see if they have an exchange or see if you can start one somewhere, library, church, work etc.
Most stores have their own coupons or booklets, and dispensers, kiosks to print etc.

I do have a stockpile, but it's limited to things I'll use, or things I can put together and make gift baskets from.
This week I'm loving CVS. They have Tressemme for $3.50 each and their red machine is giving out $2/2 coupons and there's a BOGO coupon out for up to $6 off. With auto deduct and store coupon, I throw in a half gallon of milk to "eat" the overage and walk out paying about $1.13 for 2 bottle of shampoo/conditioner and a half-gallon of milk.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM

14,427 posts, read 20,561,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calitransplant27 View Post

Which if these stores do you have:
Harris Teeter
Bi-Lo
Food Lion
CVS
Walgreen
Lowes Foods
Publix
Rite Aid
Walmart
Target
Aldi's
Compare Foods

Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM

15,119 posts, read 32,247,758 times
I'm single, and I use coupons, lots of coupons. Target has their own coupons, and there are many to be gotten from the internet. Just recently, I and someone else posted some of the coupon sites. I cook from scratch, and don't buy any processed foods at all.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 PM

10,111 posts, read 19,361,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Also, I make the home made laundry detergent. It's easy to make and costs me about $1 for 2 gallons. It does an excellent job of cleaning clothes. That's a huge savings over using Tide.

Recipe, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living