Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM

69 posts, read 220,294 times

Advertisements

I happen to like the smell of Fels Naptha but my husband hates it. Hubby and the kids have tons of allergies and sensitivities and I must say that after washing and drying, there is no residual smell from the soap. The clothes just smell....clean. I've made both versions, dry and liquid. I think the dry is easier to use but could use advice on the liquid version.

I've melted and added tons of water but it still seems to form a semi-solid gel form. Does it ever remain in liquid form or do I just have to shake the bottle to mix it before putting in the washer?

Also, as for the softener question earlier, I use wool dryer balls. They last for years and you can scent them with essential oils if you prefer. They cut down on drying time and soften the clothes and wrinkles.

I'd be wary of using vinegar or essential oils in the washer as they could break down the rubber/plastic tubing in newer machines. I had that happen with de-scaling my coffee machine before. The diluted vinegar broke the seal after about two years. It corroded the inside of the machine. : (
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 AM

32,559 posts, read 47,718,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollem View Post
I've melted and added tons of water but it still seems to form a semi-solid gel form. Does it ever remain in liquid form or do I just have to shake the bottle to mix it before putting in the washer? ........

: (

The "liquid" soap is a soft gel. If your soap is separating into layers, it means you didn't get the grated soap completely melted. You can take the soap that is separating and heat it up again and stir it together and it should remain mixed.

But, yes, you can just shake the separated soap to mix it just before you measure it out and use it.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 PM

741 posts, read 1,285,367 times
Hi, I have a high-efficiancy front load machine, do these types of receipes need to be modified for HE Machines?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM

69 posts, read 220,294 times
Default HE Washer

I have a front loading HE washer as well. Soaps like Fels and Zote are low sudsing so you only need to use 1-2 Tbsp of the powder detergent. The liquid, I find 1/8 - 1/4 cup is plenty.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM

20,627 posts, read 19,287,292 times
I am a forager and I was disappointed to discover some years ago that horse chestnuts are not on the menu. However I have been tempted by the detergent properties of it out of curiosity.

Home Brewed Laundry Detergent

But don't kill the fish. Was also used as a fish poison.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,820,626 times
That's interesting, I may try it. My grandmother used to make Lye Soap. I think the pre-made detergents are mostly water or inert materials, are they not?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:47 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,973,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have to wonder, do you actually save alot of money? Becasue my time is worth more than what I'm sensing I'd save, this kind of thing always sounded more like a hobby or busy work to me than anything else.
I just made a batch this weekend and it took less than 10 minutes.

It's very easy and quick and cheap. It cost about .02 per load compared to .20 cents or more buying Tide.

But, I dont do it to save money. I do it to not expose myself and my girls to the chemicals in household cleaners and personal hygiene products. Over 60% of the chemicals used in household products include the ones you put in your mouth like toothpaste are linked to cancer and other fatal ailments. Have you ever read the ingredients list on household products? Do that and look them up. You wont want to use any of it again. Your skin absorbs 65% of what touches you and in some places like your face and armpit, 100% absorption.

I would think that your life is worth a little time and effort.

I make my own shower gels, deodorant, dishwashing detergent, air freshener, household cleaners, and pretty much everything else that you use around the house. Saves me 100s a year and hopefully will save my daughter's from health problems later in life.

Last edited by RjRobb2; 04-08-2013 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I'm going to try this...

Question about effectiveness and smell.

Does this recipe work well or at least similar to prepackaged detergents and does it smell good or can you add scents like lemon when adding to the washer?

I cut up a bunch of old t-shirts, put them in a baby wipe tub and made a solution out of water, white vinegar and essential oils to throw in the dryer for scent.

I have one that is sandalwood and clove for me (im a guy) and lavender for my daughters. Once you are done, you just put the used ones on the bottom and they soak up the solution from the pile on top. Once they stop soaking, add more solution. The vinegar also helps reduce static and you dont get the nasty chemicals that they put in dryer sheets.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
We use pure essence oils which comes in many different scents, I would suggest candle stores or craft store.
I would stick to pure essential oils because on top of scent, they have other properties such as antiseptic, antibacterial, and tons of others and they are natural so you dont have to worry about any bad chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,246,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There have been a couple of comments that this recipe has been difficult to find, so I am posting it again.

Homemade Laundry Soap
1/2 bar Fels Naptha
1/2 c washing soda
1/2 cup borax
2 gallon bucket (or larger)

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Add your soap mixture and stir, then add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of hot water and stir. Let soap sit uncovered for 24 hours. Use 1/2 cup per load. (You don't have to let it sit if you need it right away. It just gives it time to gel.)

That is washing soda not baking soda. They are not the same product. I put the grated soap in the water on very low heat and leave it for awhile to fully dissolve. If it is not completely and totally melted, your laundry soap will separate. Once everything is completely mixed together, I go by with a whip and stir the finished mixture every now and again while it is cooling. I use hot tap water for the hot watewr.

I grate the soap with my food processor, which makes the whole process extremely easy. Soap can be grated by hand, also. I've used Ivory bar soap and it worked in this recipe, but the Fels Naptha is the best soap to use.
Hi there, do you have to melt the soap with water? Can you just grate the laundry soap, and mix dry with the other dry ingredients? I have to carry my laundry detergent around and it's easier/lighter with a dry powder than a liquid. We have a top loading washer in my building, so I thought the water will dissolve the soap. Unless it doesn't dissolve in cold water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living