U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,430,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Because time is money. this example and the dumpster rental vs trips by the mom, are good examples of being stupid with your time. If you have a busy schedule, lots of vital appointments, that "corporate lifestyle" perhaps, and you have to take 3 or 4 hours out of a rare Saturday afternoon spent not at work, I don't think that's a great use of time unless you happen to love doing laundry.

We faced a similar option when we moved to Hawaii. 50 or 60 miles away from Kona are much cheaper houses. However, we cannot jump on a freeway and go 85 mph to get to work as we did in Las Vegas. 40 or 50 miles in LA or Nevada is nothing. But when you have one 2 lane blacktop going around the island with no shoulders, lots of curves and a speed limit of about 35 to 45 90% of the time, that 60 miles becomes wasted time spent in your car not to mention $4.60/gal gasoline. I don't want to drive 1.5 hours twice a day to get into town for work, so we spent more on a home but we have much more time to call our own.

to me, driving all over visiting 3 or 4 stores to save a couple of bucks is a ridiculous waste of time. so that's my idea of stupid vs "frugal"!!
That's usually the point I try to make. People treat time like there's an unlimited amount of it. But there's more money than time out there. One should value their time highly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:05 PM

6,649 posts, read 6,828,313 times
Quote:
Because time is money. this example and the dumpster rental vs trips by the mom, are good examples of being stupid with your time. If you have a busy schedule, lots of vital appointments, that "corporate lifestyle" perhaps, and you have to take 3 or 4 hours out of a rare Saturday afternoon spent not at work, I don't think that's a great use of time unless you happen to love doing laundry.

We faced a similar option when we moved to Hawaii. 50 or 60 miles away from Kona are much cheaper houses. However, we cannot jump on a freeway and go 85 mph to get to work as we did in Las Vegas. 40 or 50 miles in LA or Nevada is nothing. But when you have one 2 lane blacktop going around the island with no shoulders, lots of curves and a speed limit of about 35 to 45 90% of the time, that 60 miles becomes wasted time spent in your car not to mention $4.60/gal gasoline. I don't want to drive 1.5 hours twice a day to get into town for work, so we spent more on a home but we have much more time to call our own.

to me, driving all over visiting 3 or 4 stores to save a couple of bucks is a ridiculous waste of time. so that's my idea of stupid vs "frugal"!!
On the laundry issue - what I used to do when I worked outside the home was to throw a load in the washer before work. When I got home, into the dryer, folded and put away when done. Total time? Under ten minutes. Also realize that letting the machines work while you're doing something else is also a frugal use of time. So while my dryer was running, I was doing things like making dinner, balancing the checkbook, paying bills, etc.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Also who doesn't do their own laundry. Unless were talking about suits or something.
I generally don't.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM

2,135 posts, read 3,679,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't.
Why not. Are we just talking about normal clothes?

Like someone else said. Throw a load in before work, get home put it in dryer, hang clothes. Hardly 15 minutes really.

Even if you don't have a washer/dryer at home it takes perhaps an hour to go to the laundromat and it might cost $5 or so a week maybe a little more.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:28 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,353,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In the process of living on the cheap, we can often diverge into a path of stupidity. The problem is, it's tough to know when you've gone too far. When frugality myths are simply not true?
Does frugality actually involve sacrifice and denial, or it's all about how far you take it?
As with many other things in life, it's a mindset. To me, being extravagant with money is stupidity. Why would you buy a car for $40,000 when a car for $4,000 will get you there, often just as quickly and efficiently? Why would you put in new kitchen cabinets when the old ones are perfectly functional? That makes no sense to me at all.

There is no reason for sacrifice or denial. When you stop and think about it. As long as you have a warm, dry bed, food in your stomach and your health, everything else is just icing on the cake, and ultimately UNNECESSARY. If you can live well without it, then you don't really need it at all! I am very frugal and I never feel deprived or that I am sacrificing for my lifestyle.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM

2,135 posts, read 3,679,863 times
Quote:

Time is money when you can get money. Wasting money driving a far distance to save a few bucks at a Walmrt is just wasting money.

I can't get paid on a Friday... I am worth nothing. Sure I can get a part time job...but I don't want to.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Why not. Are we just talking about normal clothes?

Like someone else said. Throw a load in before work, get home put it in dryer, hang clothes. Hardly 15 minutes really.

Even if you don't have a washer/dryer at home it takes perhaps an hour to go to the laundromat and it might cost $5 or so a week maybe a little more.
Half of my clothes have to be dry cleaned. Laundry is just not my cup of tea. It doesn't cost me any extra to have the cleaning lady put clothes in the washer. So I just have her do it.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM

43,551 posts, read 52,647,623 times
My mother always says, "Don't be penny wise and pound foolish."

Words to live by.
Woman is frugal but enjoys the best things in life.
Basically boils down to reusing things (which is better for the environment), using things up or until they die (again, also better for the environment), and not buying stupid crap.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,258,759 times
Well, for those of us that "must" do our own house cleaning and laundry.......... I agree that there is a similar thread as this one is basically becoming that one (frugal tips)

Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 PM

I don't think you can draw an absolute line between being frugal and stupid. Some might draw the line at reusing toilet paper while others might draw the line at buying non-organic food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or