Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
When you try to cut costs on something and it ends up costing you a lot more (in money or time) in the long run...

I tend to be pound wise, penny foolish.. I may be able to scrape by a little more by being penny wise but I'd rather put the extra free time to better productive use.
To me this has nothing to do with frugalness. This is just plain common sense. It's amazing how often it is lacking. My company spent nearly five million dollars redoing office space to condense it from two floors to one and a half. It saved them about $20,000 a month in rent. Hmm, I wonder if that was a wise investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Slightly off on a tangent, my dogs eat the very best available. It costs a lot more than Old Roy from WallyWorld, but I figure I save it all back by never having any vet bills.
My dog loved Old Roy ... and never had any vet bills.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM

505 posts, read 940,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
To me this has nothing to do with frugalness. This is just plain common sense. It's amazing how often it is lacking. My company spent nearly five million dollars redoing office space to condense it from two floors to one and a half. It saved them about $20,000 a month in rent. Hmm, I wonder if that was a wise investment.
Over ten years, that saves $2.4 million, not factoring any time-value-of-money calculations. That also does not include reduced utilities or other costs. Was there a lot of redecorating and upgrading involved in the project that needed to be done anyway? It's not hard to see where the investment could have been worth it.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Ouch.. a pathetically low IRR even assuming no inflation!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
Over ten years, that saves $2.4 million, not factoring any time-value-of-money calculations. That also does not include reduced utilities or other costs. Was there a lot of redecorating and upgrading involved in the project that needed to be done anyway? It's not hard to see where the investment could have been worth it.
Remodel was not really needed. There are other not-so-easily measured factors that made this an unwise choice. We went from being an office full of large full height cubes and individual offices down to tiny half-height cubes and no offices for anyone. So the loss of productivity alone thanks to these changes easily outweigh any gains in utilities savings. I have a feeling some outside consultant sold the facilities department on the open concept work spaces without actually consulting anyone who worked in those very spaces.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I think we cross the line from frugal to stupid when we deny ourselves something we really want — and can well afford — but don't get it (or do it, like a vacation) just to put away more money. If I die with a full bank account but fail to have enjoyed my life, I'm an idiot and my so-called frugality has become an addiction of a sort.

Also, we cross the line from frugal to cheap when our "thriftiness" hurts other people. For example, not tipping properly, never spending money to please a child or a spouse, not paying your fair share of restaurant or drinks bills, not chipping in for office parties, etc. I'm a great believer in "we get what we give — emotionally as well as financially.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
They are two separate, unrelated activities. I was showing how in one activity someone can be stupid while in another completely unrelated activity they can be frugal.

The way I look at it is that being money smart encompasses your entire economy. That includes money coming in, money saved, and money spent.... and time.
I look at it in terms of savings and convenience. Look at all the money you can save by doing your own laundry (not dry cleaning). I mean seriously, how difficult is it to throw clothes into a machine! I never paid for trash pickup ($30 a month now) and instead tossed it in the neighborhood school dumpster. I figure, over all the years I've lived here, I've saved over $3,000!!! My dance teacher said "If you watch your pennies, your dollars will watch themself"

Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I never paid for trash pickup ($30 a month now) and instead tossed it in the neighborhood school dumpster.
This wouldn't be legal in most places.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM

505 posts, read 940,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
This wouldn't be legal in most places.
That's true.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A natural gas furnace still requires electricity to operate. We have fireplaces should the power go out.
We have a backup propane stove. It's not a furnace, it requires no electricity and it heats the entire house just fine (if you leave all the doors open).

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living