U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Outer Space
1,524 posts, read 3,459,008 times
Reputation: 1796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
thus keeping women at home where they belong!!!!!

The Thinking Housewife › More Domestic Wizardry
I SAH and we live on one income. Not because of any Jesus blah or women's place garbage. It is just simple on paper finances. I simply cannot make the same kind of money my husband can anymore, he has easily 2-3 times my earning power now. 75% of my income would be eaten by childcare and gas alone. It is not worth the inconvenience for us for me to work for the other 25%. Instead, I volunteer in my career area and take a few free and tuition based courses online to keep my skills fresh. I hope to go back to work when my daughter no longer needs care during the school year, so in about 3 years. We can easily afford for me to SAH though.

That said, I don't really understand these people SAHMing themselves into poverty. Things like using 'family cloth' because they are either too cheap or really cannot afford toilet paper because they CHOSE to live this lifestyle. Um...I'd sooner not have more kids and get a job than have to wash my family's sh*t rags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 PM
 
6,328 posts, read 3,405,524 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I SAH and we live on one income. Not because of any Jesus blah or women's place garbage. It is just simple on paper finances. I simply cannot make the same kind of money my husband can anymore, he has easily 2-3 times my earning power now. 75% of my income would be eaten by childcare and gas alone. It is not worth the inconvenience for us for me to work for the other 25%. Instead, I volunteer in my career area and take a few free and tuition based courses online to keep my skills fresh. I hope to go back to work when my daughter no longer needs care during the school year, so in about 3 years. We can easily afford for me to SAH though.

That said, I don't really understand these people SAHMing themselves into poverty. Things like using 'family cloth' because they are either too cheap or really cannot afford toilet paper because they CHOSE to live this lifestyle. Um...I'd sooner not have more kids and get a job than have to wash my family's sh*t rags.
Oh my gosh, I have never heard of the "family cloth" before!

How To Make Homemade Feminine Pads: Free Pattern List : TipNut.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
21,856 posts, read 14,364,134 times
Reputation: 30722
I have always thought that you can pay for things two ways: time or money. If you are quite poor, you pay with time mostly. You wait in lines for benefits; you wait at food pantries; you might make several trips to buy items which are cheaper; you buy small containers of things which are more expensive per unit because the money at your disposal is meager. So you buy it twice, with time and money.

For those of us with enough, we pay with money mostly. We are willing to pay for certain services. For instance, DH mows our lawns, and I am involved in replanting our yard. We have chosen not to pay for these services. But we hired out the cleaning off of the roof because it is onerous for us to try to do it.

Many people can't buy things with money as easily, and must pay for "banking" services, for instance, via cash cards, and for some of their food, via visiting food pantries which involves waiting and talking to someone to convince him or her of their continuing need, and so on. People brought up in a world where it is the norm to pay with time in order to pay with less money, probably will have trouble adjusting their thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 PM
 
4,232 posts, read 6,058,374 times
Reputation: 10095
As a former auto technician you see a lot of stupid things when it comes to people trying to be frugal.

Itís never a funny noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,126,519 times
Reputation: 14334
Frugality moves into stupidity when the effort costs you more than you would save. A good example would be spending an hour searching through coupons just to find one that saves you 25 cents. The hour of your time is not worth the 25 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,061 posts, read 16,074,613 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Oh my gosh, I have never heard of the "family cloth" before!

How To Make Homemade Feminine Pads: Free Pattern List : TipNut.com
Gross, lol. Ranks up there with cloth diapers... actually, I think it might be worse. Not as bad as using reusable toilet paper cloths though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 01:33 AM
 
11,932 posts, read 20,383,027 times
Reputation: 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Gross, lol. Ranks up there with cloth diapers... actually, I think it might be worse. Not as bad as using reusable toilet paper cloths though.
It's not gross, it's life. A number of women say that using an all cotton pad has eased up on cramping and other pain, and has cut back on yeast infections. To me that's a good thing.

And also there is thinking that cloth diapers are better for the baby -- they breathe, so less diaper rash, AND, since baby feels wet and uncomfortable, they toilet train easier and at an earlier age. I know my sister's kid - one was very resistant to train -- and trained at 4, as did a friend's kid (actually later for my friend's kid -- she was 5)

I don't have kids -- but I do have one cat that still has box issues -- it's been years, and every once in a while he still gets it wrong.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,061 posts, read 16,074,613 times
Reputation: 12636
Gross.

That's why I have dogs. They're smarter than most kids. Both of mine were pound dogs and came house broken. I did have to train them not to crap in the border garden around the lawn or pee on the patio, but that took a few weeks which is much less time than to train a kid to stop crapping on itself. =D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times
Reputation: 30840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Oh my gosh, I have never heard of the "family cloth" before!

How To Make Homemade Feminine Pads: Free Pattern List : TipNut.com
Why is that so surprising? What do you think that women did for thousands of years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM
 
12,296 posts, read 15,190,901 times
Reputation: 8108
There was recently a toll increase in our area. The first in 29 years, so I suppose it was due. Read about on driver who started driving instead on the free, unlit, roads. Ended up hitting a deer causing thousands in damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top