Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Why is that so surprising? What do you think that women did for thousands of years?
Reminds me of one of those "in days of old when knights were bold" rhymes that I can't remember now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It's not gross, it's life. A number of women say that using an all cotton pad has eased up on cramping and other pain, and has cut back on yeast infections. To me that's a good thing.

And also there is thinking that cloth diapers are better for the baby -- they breathe, so less diaper rash, AND, since baby feels wet and uncomfortable, they toilet train easier and at an earlier age. I know my sister's kid - one was very resistant to train -- and trained at 4, as did a friend's kid (actually later for my friend's kid -- she was 5)

I don't have kids -- but I do have one cat that still has box issues -- it's been years, and every once in a while he still gets it wrong.....
I simply don't believe that the material in a sanitary pad has anything to do with a woman's cramps! Honestly!

I used cloth diapers. I had a terrible time toilet training my oldest two. There are environmental issues with adding disposable diapers to the landfill, but toilet training should not enter into a decision. Of course, with cloth diapers, you are adding chlorine bleach into the waste water, which ultimately finds its way into all the water. So--no easy answers.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,031 times
I think living frugally is absolutely life freeing. Five years ago we made a few financial manuevers and it gave us the ability to pay off our mortgage and get totally out of debt. Cars have since been paid off, and even though we use credit cards for travel miles, we always pay them off. Trick is, we never charge more in a month than we can afford to pay off. People don't realize how they are paying thousands a year in interest charges, its a vicious cycle for sure.

I don't think I sacrifice anything that I really need, but I sure do save alot by not buying things on a whim. If I think I want something, no matter how bad, I simply wait for a week or two or three, about 80% of the time it ended up being something that I don't miss and can live without.

I used to trade cars in every two years and always be in auto debt. No more...I put a little $ aside each paycheck now and in a few years when its time to buy another car, it will be like a 2 year old used lease, and it will be paid for with the $ put aside specifically for that.

Our entire lives are inundated with advertising to convince us to buy **** we don't need or to keep up with our friends. Since we've converted to a more frugal life I sure have to say my worry index and the stress that goes with always paying off debt have nearly disappeared....and the things we do buy, we really do enjoy and appreciate!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Put on a damned light!

I've known many people so friggin'cheap they won't put on a single light bulb so you can find them. Twice, different people, we were invited to a party at their house. The houses were difficult to find, and there wasn't a single light on, in the drive or window. We were left gropping in the dark, struggling with flashlights, etc. Once inside, the front of the house was pitch black, they did have lights on in the back. WTH bother with lights, wiring, etc, if you never plan to use it? Made us feel a tad unwelcome, to say the least.....

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I simply don't believe that the material in a sanitary pad has anything to do with a woman's cramps! Honestly!

I used cloth diapers. I had a terrible time toilet training my oldest two. There are environmental issues with adding disposable diapers to the landfill, but toilet training should not enter into a decision. Of course, with cloth diapers, you are adding chlorine bleach into the waste water, which ultimately finds its way into all the water. So--no easy answers.

OT here----I found disposable diapers to be more "comfortable" to the point the kid had no incentive to train. Finally one day, when my dd was almost 4, I decided to use cloth diapers. Oh, the look on her face when she wet and felt it! Then, she had to wear it until we could get to the bathroom. I think I got her trained in about one day! Otherwise, my kids would be peeing themselves yet!

Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
I think pull ups are a big waste of money.
They feel just like diapers to me,so what would make the kid think they are any different?
Around here,they costs $5 more than a pakage of diapers.
Just use diapers and tape them back up,rather than pulling them up.

The pull up issue goes for both adults and children btw.

I do think buying items for a car in a junkyard are stupid.
We are talking safety,not to mention if the part doesn't work,you have to buy another part,when you could have just sepnt a little more and brought the new part in the first place.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I do think buying items for a car in a junkyard are stupid.
We are talking safety,not to mention if the part doesn't work,you have to buy another part,when you could have just sepnt a little more and brought the new part in the first place.
1996 Dodge Caravan, 170,000 miles.

New starter: $189, 90 day warranty
Used starter: $25, 30 day warranty

Bought the used starter, drove the van another 25,000 miles before retiring due to a completely unrelated issue.

Please tell me what was so stupid about that.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
1996 Dodge Caravan, 170,000 miles.

New starter: $189, 90 day warranty
Used starter: $25, 30 day warranty

Bought the used starter, drove the van another 25,000 miles before retiring due to a completely unrelated issue.

Please tell me what was so stupid about that.
It's all relative. I buy refurb from Napa not Autozone. My refurb starter is still working after 7 years and 100k.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
That is just called being stupid. Lol

Also who doesn't do their own laundry. Unless were talking about suits or something.
Lots of people don't do their own laundry. My brother would rather pay by the pound at the cleaners to have his laundry cleaned and folded. Some laundry mats will also offer to do your laundry for you as well and yes they fold it. Others hire maid services to clean and even do the laundry. Part of being frugal is in knowing how to use your time more efficiently. If I can get more for my time doing something else than I could find someone else to do the laundry. Time is the most important thing you have. It is limited and you will never get any of it back. Money is a resource that comes and goes and can outlive the earner. Many people die long before the money is gone.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Put on a damned light!

I've known many people so friggin'cheap they won't put on a single light bulb so you can find them. Twice, different people, we were invited to a party at their house. The houses were difficult to find, and there wasn't a single light on, in the drive or window. We were left gropping in the dark, struggling with flashlights, etc. Once inside, the front of the house was pitch black, they did have lights on in the back. WTH bother with lights, wiring, etc, if you never plan to use it? Made us feel a tad unwelcome, to say the least.....
Today you can even buy solar out door lighting for walk ways and entry areas. You don't even have to pay for the electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living