Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 PM

192 posts, read 348,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't know if that's the best way to put it. You can technically be money stupid and frugal at the same time.

Consider a guy who makes $20/hr and washes his own clothes. He's money stupid in that he sells an hour of his time for $20 but he's frugal in that he doesn't hire someone to wash his clothes.

Another guy who makes $50/hr and pays $20/week to get his clothes washed. He's money smart in that he's selling an hour of his time for $50 while not so frugal about his laundry.
You're right. We should all just make $50 dollars an hour. What were we thinking making less? I am going to tell my boss tomorrow I am trying to be frugal so I need a $30 raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
In the facilities industry the frugal people buy new and use till the part fails. The idea is with preventative maintenance, the thought being it is better to give the basic care to a part untill the part no longer works. Replace with a new unit with money saved from your maintenance budget. Saying that, the idea is not to buy old things to fix old things. The idea is to not fix anything but to replace with new all the time. If you fix a 20 year old motor what you have is a 20 year old motor that will not be as efficient or offer new and improved features. Frugal in this case in saving money by lack of maintenance or the minumum in maintenance and taking that budgeted money to replace the non functioning item.

For a home owner that would relate to replacing a faucet instead of putting a replacement stem or what have you. For a car owner it may be buying a new car and driving that car for 10 years and then replacing with a new car, paying cash for the new car. If you can't do this now then dump the old car, buy a new car on credit and drive that car for 10 years always making a payment for either the car or yourself at the end of your loan. The second car is paid for in cash and you go from there, always having a car that is no older than 10 years old.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama192 View Post
You're right. We should all just make $50 dollars an hour. What were we thinking making less? I am going to tell my boss tomorrow I am trying to be frugal so I need a $30 raise.
What you sell your hours for is your problem. I was talking to my kids about this the other day. Most of us spend our time in exchange for money. Our most precious resource and many give it away or offer it at a low price all because we think that is what we are supposed to do. I am tired of doing that. What my kids and I figured out is that some of our friends spend their time developing ideas. They then sell the ideas for money. Imagine that.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM

47 posts, read 93,884 times
It's never stupid to be frugal especially in this economy.

It is stupid to use payday/title loans, credit irresponsibly & living beyond your means.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I simply don't believe that the material in a sanitary pad has anything to do with a woman's cramps! Honestly!

I used cloth diapers. I had a terrible time toilet training my oldest two. There are environmental issues with adding disposable diapers to the landfill, but toilet training should not enter into a decision. Of course, with cloth diapers, you are adding chlorine bleach into the waste water, which ultimately finds its way into all the water. So--no easy answers.
I used cloth diapers too. With the firstborn I used the pin & fold, old school, with plastic pants. I used bleach then because I did what my mother suggested. With my second son I'd had some time to learn and research. I bought fitted/snap-to-fit cloth with breathable snap covers. I never ever used chlorine bleach. There are other ways to disinfect, and I wanted those diapers to remain in good shape (organic unbleached cotton terry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I do think buying items for a car in a junkyard are stupid.
We are talking safety,not to mention if the part doesn't work,you have to buy another part,when you could have just sepnt a little more and brought the new part in the first place.
Depends on the car. I had a late 80's station wagon. Could not FIND the needed part anywhere but the junkyard (rear tail light).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In the facilities industry the frugal people buy new and use till the part fails. The idea is with preventative maintenance, the thought being it is better to give the basic care to a part untill the part no longer works. Replace with a new unit with money saved from your maintenance budget. Saying that, the idea is not to buy old things to fix old things. The idea is to not fix anything but to replace with new all the time. If you fix a 20 year old motor what you have is a 20 year old motor that will not be as efficient or offer new and improved features. Frugal in this case in saving money by lack of maintenance or the minumum in maintenance and taking that budgeted money to replace the non functioning item.

For a home owner that would relate to replacing a faucet instead of putting a replacement stem or what have you. For a car owner it may be buying a new car and driving that car for 10 years and then replacing with a new car, paying cash for the new car. If you can't do this now then dump the old car, buy a new car on credit and drive that car for 10 years always making a payment for either the car or yourself at the end of your loan. The second car is paid for in cash and you go from there, always having a car that is no older than 10 years old.
I have only had one brand NEW car in my entire life... and it was nothing but problems. I buy cash USED cars and I research to death, buy cars known for reliability. I don't end up with problem cars and I don't have car payments... haven't had a car payment in 17 years. No credit needed. I haven't had a car yet over $3000 either. My current ride is a 1995. One before that was '96 and cost me $600. The current one was $2900 and I have had it since November 2011. Aside from a big brake job it hasn't cost me anything aside from regular oil changes (and tires right after I bought it). It has anti-lock brakes, airbags, and air conditioning. Seats 7. We're happy.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Others hire maid services to clean and even do the laundry. Part of being frugal is in knowing how to use your time more efficiently.
When I was a lot younger my parents had an older lady come in once a week to clean the house. This isn't unusual for my mother but the funny part about it was that she would have my brother and I straighten things up the night before the cleaning lady came. lol

Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
When I was a lot younger my parents had an older lady come in once a week to clean the house. This isn't unusual for my mother but the funny part about it was that she would have my brother and I straighten things up the night before the cleaning lady came. lol
Ha ha yes, this!

I lived with a trustafarian. Excuse me, a trust fund guy. I rented part of his house from him... not because he needed the rent but because he didn't like living alone. I paid very little for an awesome space. It was a REALLY good deal for me. The "maids" (plural) came once a week, and they were also his parents domestic workers, so he was terrified that they would come over and then report back to his parents that he was a slob. So, every week he would do this massive freakout the night before they showed up, to clean before the cleaning. I got tired of his panic and finally just told him to keep the maids from my portion (I occupied the entire upstairs) so he didn't have to worry about what my portion looked like weekly, I really didn't want the "maid service"!

I'd kill for it now though, 3 kids and pets and years of "stuff" later.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
always having a car that is no older than 10 years old.

My goodness, why would I sell a perfectly good 10 year old car? The one I am driving right now is 33 years old and runs perfectly and still looks brand new, with perfect, shiny, unmarred original paint. I had to replace a $45 part last year, which sure beats having car payments.

The car it replaced had over 350,000 miles on it, still looked good, but needed new shocks at that time. It never had any repairs other than routine maintenance.

"Frugal" with automobiles involves buying the right car to begin with and then taking excellent care of it and doing all the routine maintenance on time, so that it lasts a long time.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My goodness, why would I sell a perfectly good 10 year old car? The one I am driving right now is 33 years old and runs perfectly and still looks brand new, with perfect, shiny, unmarred original paint. I had to replace a $45 part last year, which sure beats having car payments.

The car it replaced had over 350,000 miles on it, still looked good, but needed new shocks at that time. It never had any repairs other than routine maintenance.

"Frugal" with automobiles involves buying the right car to begin with and then taking excellent care of it and doing all the routine maintenance on time, so that it lasts a long time.
OK, You got me on that one. I am currenly driving a 1969 Beetle and my wife drives a 2003 Chevy Astro Van that we plan on keeping for the next 10 years as we have a large family and see no need to replace it. If truth be known I am not even following my own advice. My line of thought for the new car issue though was for individuals to realize that they can have a new car, pay cash for it, take care of it and replace it all with no debt.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
It's all relative. I buy refurb from Napa not Autozone. My refurb starter is still working after 7 years and 100k.
Is that your car I hear idling in the background?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living