Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Frugality shouldn't be confused with not flushing toilets, washing your clothes by showering while wearing them, and dumpster-diving when company's coming for dinner.

No one loves a bargain more than I do, but there's frugal and there's mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM

486 posts, read 832,311 times
Commute cost in my experience is the number one issue where people are stupid when they try to be frugal. They rent/buy a home 50 miles from where they work because it's cheap but don't take into consideration $4 gas and wear on their automobile.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
That is just called being stupid. Lol

Also who doesn't do their own laundry. Unless were talking about suits or something.

People who are lazy.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:36 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
Commute cost in my experience is the number one issue where people are stupid when they try to be frugal. They rent/buy a home 50 miles from where they work because it's cheap but don't take into consideration $4 gas and wear on their automobile.
Sometimes it is not always easy to buy an affordable home close to where one works. The houses around my office park go for about $400k or so and up. When I used to live in DC / Baltimore area, houses all around my office there were far above that. Also, not everyone can just pick up and move (especially if they own) just because they decide to change jobs.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I do think buying items for a car in a junkyard are stupid.
We are talking safety,not to mention if the part doesn't work,you have to buy another part,when you could have just sepnt a little more and brought the new part in the first place.
My mechanic husband would have a heart attack over that part of your post. The pick-a-part place is his favorite "store." It's like hunting for treasure in a thrift store would be for me.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 3,401 times
Default Where do you draw the line between frugal and stupid?

Quote:
Gross, lol. Ranks up there with cloth diapers... actually, I think it might be worse. Not as bad as using reusable toilet paper cloths though.
Quote:
Gross.

That's why I have dogs. They're smarter than most kids. Both of mine were pound dogs and came house broken. I did have to train them not to crap in the border garden around the lawn or pee on the patio, but that took a few weeks which is much less time than to train a kid to stop crapping on itself. =D
Yes it is, get over yourselves

Old 08-17-2016, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 3,401 times
Thumbs down Where do you draw the line between frugal and stupid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
thus keeping women at home where they belong!!!!!

The Thinking Housewife › More Domestic Wizardry
Sound like a Child Molester

Old 08-18-2016, 03:13 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
when your frugalness starts to make other people close to you miserable you crossed that line .

Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
How about using coupons just because there's a couple cents off...and that brand costs you more anyway, and maybe it's something you didn't need or want in the first place.

I think frugal / stupid also is not doing maintenance on houses because it's expensive...but then down the road the house is flooding from the big leak that started out as a drip, or the little leak in the roof ended up costing you a whole ceiling drywall repair.

Cheaper insurance...maybe it doesn't cover what you need it to.

There's lots of examples.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:25 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
When frugal decisions sacrifice your health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living