Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:57 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
In what way? Riddle me this then,my cousin gets uncomfortable using paper plates and plastic ware. Gets uppity if the bathroom tissue isn't charmin. Will not drink tap water.. Only spring water. Scoffs if the trash bags aren't a particular grade. So I am to change my frugal ways to appease ppl of this nature?

I recycle certain items... I find a repurpose. Old ties, made into pillow covers. Old sheets, placemats. If that makes a person uncomfortable... Maybe they need to check themselves.

I remain reasonable in my habits to waste not want not. I stopped buying into the advertising and marketing ploys... Bottom line is I am not saving anything if I am buying into these ploys. Accounting 101, you spend its a deficit, there is no column to say adjust for saving xyz...
I can't possibly see any scenario in which paper plates are cheaper than reusable plates. They are also worse for the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 03:54 PM

125 posts, read 114,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't know if that's the best way to put it. You can technically be money stupid and frugal at the same time.

Consider a guy who makes $20/hr and washes his own clothes. He's money stupid in that he sells an hour of his time for $20 but he's frugal in that he doesn't hire someone to wash his clothes.

Another guy who makes $50/hr and pays $20/week to get his clothes washed. He's money smart in that he's selling an hour of his time for $50 while not so frugal about his laundry.
Washing laundry doesn't take any time.. You literally don't even do anything.
This isn't 1857 dude..

Old 08-28-2016, 04:06 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeMan View Post
Washing laundry doesn't take any time.. You literally don't even do anything.
This isn't 1857 dude..
Ironing takes a lot of time, especially if you work in a business environment where you are expected to wear a dress shirt/tie every day. Now there are more wrinkle-free options, but I know my dad sent all his work clothing out for washing because he just couldn't be bothered with the ironing.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:23 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
It's amazing the broad an blanket statements that are made on this site and which make no sense at all. Some people give no thought what so ever to what they're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living