U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,680,262 times

Advertisements

I have known people who are very frugal, they save every penny, and they wound up having tons on money, but they eat, dress, drive, and live cheap. some of them, from what i heard from friends, they pass with loads of money but they never used it. at that point, what is life? shouldn't you enjoy something?

I am very close to that kind of person, I don't have any luxury in life. the more money i save, the more i am scared of loosing it, since i worked so hard for it, and disciplined myself to not spend it. I know the moment that i spend more money to buy a nicer car, bigger house, dress better, eat out, I will one day be living paycheck to paycheck, and I hate that feeling. also, I hate the feeling to living so cheap.

is there a fine line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,624,346 times
Interesting.

I'm also very frugal; not because I really want to be, but because I'm flat-ass broke and I don't have any choice. And while I do sometimes feel the strain of living hand-to-mouth and worry about the future, I enjoy life a lot.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,133,598 times
Sure there is a line but it's not a fine one. If you are a miser then you are miserable. That is the point where you have crossed the line. All of the savings and scrimping do the miser no good at all because he is very unhappy in his life. I had a cousin who was a miser. He lived in Squalor, he dressed like a bum and ate like a homeless man. He was worth around 4 million dollars and what good did it do him? No good in the least. All of that money just sat there in a savings account in the bank. Well, he died and I'm sure he would turn over in his grave if he could see the way his family is spending and enjoying all that money.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,680,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Sure there is a line but it's not a fine one. If you are a miser then you are miserable. That is the point where you have crossed the line. All of the savings and scrimping do the miser no good at all because he is very unhappy in his life. I had a cousin who was a miser. He lived in Squalor, he dressed like a bum and ate like a homeless man. He was worth around 4 million dollars and what good did it do him? No good in the least. All of that money just sat there in a savings account in the bank. Well, he died and I'm sure he would turn over in his grave if he could see the way his family is spending and enjoying all that money.
wow.. those examples are what i have heard before. there is a difference between inheriting the money vs blood, sweat, tears of making that money. i can imagine its much harder to spend it when a person worked so hard for it.

I remember a story before in new jersey, a man donated 1 million to a school for a swimming pool, but he drove a 20 year old car and shops at goodwill. and even after he donated the money, he is still well off. the guy dont have any kids, is maybe in his 60's and just saved, saved, saved for his whole life. kind of defests the purpose you know..

Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM

8,238 posts, read 9,990,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
I have known people who are very frugal, they save every penny, and they wound up having tons on money, but they eat, dress, drive, and live cheap. some of them, from what i heard from friends, they pass with loads of money but they never used it. at that point, what is life? shouldn't you enjoy something?

I am very close to that kind of person, I don't have any luxury in life. the more money i save, the more i am scared of loosing it, since i worked so hard for it, and disciplined myself to not spend it. I know the moment that i spend more money to buy a nicer car, bigger house, dress better, eat out, I will one day be living paycheck to paycheck, and I hate that feeling. also, I hate the feeling to living so cheap.
is there a fine line?
I hear the pain in your post and empathize with you -- Being afraid to move forward (spend and enjoy), yet hating where you are (no real enjoyment) ... is no way to live. I can understand the feeling... having grown-up with almost 'less than nothing' and harboring the same anxieties. From personal experience and also from ministering to folks in similar situations over the years, I can assure you that there is a way out.
One of the key things that must happen is a realignment of your system of values and priorities. In another thread, you stated that these were yours:
1). happiness- its a high, and its powerful, makes 1 person have meaning in life.
2). extreme wealth- never have to worry about money, do whatever you want
3). time- time to do things before you pass away. time is precious
4). health- without health, once cant do anything.

The fact is that all of these things are, like money, only temporary. Thus, even if one does acquire them, they are always worried about losing them. That's why a very 'successful', but, poor man advised: "Seek not what you will eat or drink, nor be of an anxious mind. For all of these things the nations (people) of the world seek. But, seek first the Kingdom of God, and all of these things will be added unto you."

Of course, that 'man' was Jesus Christ. He wasn't talking about 'religion' at all! He was talking about trusting God ... instead of worldly things and people, who are undependable, temporary and will always fail us. I went from being the type person you described in your OP, to one who actually enjoys 'giving money to others'. Even though I still think about the 'cost' of things, I've learned to seek things of value instead ... and no longer worry about money. Again, this has nothing to do with 'religion' ... it is about having a true relationship with a true, living God who will never leave or forsake you.... and depending on Him, instead of stuff.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,133,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I hear the pain in your post and empathize with you -- Being afraid to move forward (spend and enjoy), yet hating where you are (no real enjoyment) ... is no way to live. I can understand the feeling... having grown-up with almost 'less than nothing' and harboring the same anxieties. From personal experience and also from ministering to folks in similar situations over the years, I can assure you that there is a way out.
One of the key things that must happen is a realignment of your system of values and priorities. In another thread, you stated that these were yours:
1). happiness- its a high, and its powerful, makes 1 person have meaning in life.
2). extreme wealth- never have to worry about money, do whatever you want
3). time- time to do things before you pass away. time is precious
4). health- without health, once cant do anything.

The fact is that all of these things are, like money, only temporary. Thus, even if one does acquire them, they are always worried about losing them. That's why a very 'successful', but, poor man advised: "Seek not what you will eat or drink, nor be of an anxious mind. For all of these things the nations (people) of the world seek. But, seek first the Kingdom of God, and all of these things will be added unto you."

Of course, that 'man' was Jesus Christ. He wasn't talking about 'religion' at all! He was talking about trusting God ... instead of worldly things and people, who are undependable, temporary and will always fail us. I went from being the type person you described in your OP, to one who actually enjoys 'giving money to others'. Even though I still think about the 'cost' of things, I've learned to seek things of value instead ... and no longer worry about money. Again, this has nothing to do with 'religion' ... it is about having a true relationship with a true, living God who will never leave or forsake you.... and depending on Him, instead of stuff.
A really great post. It made my day!!!!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,234,498 times
Quote:
Of course one should. Or at least that is my opinion anyways. We live below our means and save ahead of anything else. But we still travel, go to nice dinners and do many other things that we enjoy with some of our money. I work hard for the money I make...but I also don't work that hard to live like a pauper.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM

24,149 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Family had a friend like this. He was super cheap...died with millions. Cheap to the point where he would steal toothpicks and other things from restaurants. He did seem like a miserable person though and he was pretty mean too...

Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM

355 posts, read 697,529 times
Some people are so poor all they have is money.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,725,942 times
Quote:

is there a fine line?
Are you saving 40% or more from every paycheck? If so, feel free to spend the other 60%. there is the fine line for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or