Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,712,721 times

Advertisements

I guess I could have put this in "renting" but I get ignored over there (or it's just better for other kinds of questions?) I don't know.

Anyway we are moving this summer and we are renters. We have not lived in a big "apartment complex" in a long time... choosing instead to rent a duplex, a funky apartment built on top of and next to a garage (kitchen was up, bedrooms down!), and currently, an apartment that is part of an old house (early 1900s) split into seven units.

We've generally had manageable electric bills, living in Texas, and mostly we have had window unit air conditioners. Not great but we can pay it. We have almost exclusively lived in housing built before 1950 and it seems like it is well insulated and the walls are always decently thick so I guess that's part of it?

We are not sure what kind of place we're going to end up getting when we move (still in Texas, just an hour north). We will try to find something similar to what we have grown accustomed to, but we might end up in a big apartment complex, because it's a college town and they are plentiful.

What I am wondering is, how much difference does it make if something was built in 1960 vs 2008? With the complexes, that seems to be the most common age range. Is it possible to rent a 1970's built apartment and still have decent cooling costs or should we limit our search to newer complexes? I guess new stuff can be built badly too... right? So how do we get an idea of what to expect before hand? I just don't want any ugly suprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 02:33 PM

32,497 posts, read 47,468,261 times
I don't think the year has anything to do with it.

I've lived in a 300 year old house that was completely weather tight. Not a leak anywhere in the entire house. And a different 300 year old house where the carpets would billow up off the floor when the wind blew.

No matter what year, some buildings were well built and some were built shoddy. Some older buildings have been retrofitted with double glazed windows, weather sealing, and newer insulation.

So, instead of the year built, look for quality of construction. One thing to look for is double glazed windows, because they reduce sound as well as heating bills. Good padding under the carpets will help to insulate and reduce noise.

I suspect that you are going to have more problems with neighbor noise in a poorly built building than with your heating bills.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,712,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think the year has anything to do with it.

I've lived in a 300 year old house that was completely weather tight. Not a leak anywhere in the entire house. And a different 300 year old house where the carpets would billow up off the floor when the wind blew.

No matter what year, some buildings were well built and some were built shoddy. Some older buildings have been retrofitted with double glazed windows, weather sealing, and newer insulation.

So, instead of the year built, look for quality of construction. One thing to look for is double glazed windows, because they reduce sound as well as heating bills. Good padding under the carpets will help to insulate and reduce noise.

I suspect that you are going to have more problems with neighbor noise in a poorly built building than with your heating bills.

Thanks for this. I guess, because of homes and apartments I've lived in in the past, I have this stereotype about places built in the 70's as being cheaply built.

We currently live in a 100 year old place and the electric is nowhere out of the norm. We did live in a 100 year old place before (entire house) though, on a poorer side of town, and the electric was a nightmare each month...so I see your point. This house (the one we are in now) was originally someone's "fancy" home so I can see how it would probably have been built better.

I imagine neighbor noise will be an issue (but I can sleep through anything; slept through tornadoes as a kid! ) hopefully we can find a duplex or something and avoid the whole apartment complex issue entirely!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,071,522 times
Another thing to look for is the age of the furnace/air conditioner. The furnace should be a high efficiency furnace - and the thermostat should be in good working order as well.

I know it sounds pretty elementary, but I was living in a very decent apartment complex. The thermostat wasn't working right for the 5 years I lived there. Even through changes in management, I couldn't get them to change the thermostat. So, the furnace would go on and on until it was really warm, then the apartment would get chilly before the furnace would back on for a long time again before shutting down.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,733,345 times
The age of the actual air conditioning unit has a lot to do with the bill.

I had a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment where the electric bill was $300 a month all summer. The building was built in the 70's, the air conditioner looked like it might be original to the apartment. I had another 2 bed 2 bath in that complex, with a new air conditioner and my electric bill was $80 in the summers and $40 in winter.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,733,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Another thing to look for is the age of the furnace/air conditioner. The furnace should be a high efficiency furnace - and the thermostat should be in good working order as well.

I know it sounds pretty elementary, but I was living in a very decent apartment complex. The thermostat wasn't working right for the 5 years I lived there. Even through changes in management, I couldn't get them to change the thermostat. So, the furnace would go on and on until it was really warm, then the apartment would get chilly before the furnace would back on for a long time again before shutting down.
I would have changed that thermostat myself! It's not that expensive or hard to do.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 AM

295 posts, read 336,080 times
With an apartment to save electricity you want newer energy star appliances and a programmable thermostat. In a perfect world you would get perfectly air tight but most apartments aren't like that. The best you can hope for is dual pane windows and hope that they have pretty good insulation.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:10 PM

32,497 posts, read 47,468,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymike View Post
..............In a perfect world you would get perfectly air tight ..............
That would be good for heat conservation, but it would destroy your health. A home must have some fresh air exchange, if nothing else to discourage molds and mildews. Moisture must vet out of a house and fresh air come in. A well weatherized house controls the air exchange with the outdoors, it doesn't prevent it.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:00 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,802,215 times
Generally, though it can be dangerous to generalize, newer homes are built to stricter energy standards. There were no requirements for insulation in the 1950's. Though very old homes have probably had their furnaces and air conditioning replaced with more efficient units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living