U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2007, 02:48 PM
 
781 posts, read 3,492,844 times
Reputation: 276

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Yes college student diet. I work for UPS so I work part time 4 hours a day but benefits are best. When I get enough seniority I will drive and then I will live on a $50,000 year budget. :]

I'll work there for 25 years, retire and then restore my grandpas house he left me and live in it.
Good for you.....you have a goal and are working towards it. Boy will you be in for a shock going from $8000 to $50,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2007, 04:57 PM
 
Location: in drifts of snow wherever you go
2,493 posts, read 3,086,680 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Take it easy, he works part-time and is a student.

So his numbers are a bit fuzzy, his point was that working minimum wage four hours a day, he is surviving.

He goes with his friends to clubs, drinks water and eats the peanuts. I have known friends who have done exactly that.

He has no TV and no phone. His employer provides medical [which I am used to seeing], and there is likely a girl who will cut his hair when she feels it is needed. Or he can go on campus and they will cut and style his hair for free.

We know a couple in their 40's who live like that right now. They own a travel trailer, they pay a seasonal rate for their lot, and they seem to be 'happy' on under 10k/year.
Forest Keeper,

Let me repeat: the numbers don't add up, the budget is incomplete, and this person requires more than $8K a year to live on, so this is not a reasonable standard of comparison. I don't know about these examples you have of your grandparents eating corn and pork lard and your friends who live in a trailer, but most people would find it very difficult to live on $670 a month.

Greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM
 
781 posts, read 3,492,844 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Forest Keeper,

Let me repeat: the numbers don't add up, the budget is incomplete, and this person requires more than $8K a year to live on, so this is not a reasonable standard of comparison. I don't know about these examples you have of your grandparents eating corn and pork lard and your friends who live in a trailer, but most people would find it very difficult to live on $670 a month.

Greenie
Greenie,

He is renting a room (cable and utilities included), has a medical plan and phone thru work and eats very little.

I can see how he can do it....if he can walk to work, live in a room, eat lots of mac and cheese,....it is doable.

It is not the life for me, or you, most likely, but it can be done according to him.

His numbers are slightly off because of flucuations or perhaps they were rounded but he is living that lifestyle and unless we want to go visit him....lol...there is no way to really know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 PM
 
Location: in drifts of snow wherever you go
2,493 posts, read 3,086,680 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
Greenie,

He is renting a room (cable and utilities included), has a medical plan and phone thru work and eats very little.

I can see how he can do it....if he can walk to work, live in a room, eat lots of mac and cheese,....it is doable.

It is not the life for me, or you, most likely, but it can be done according to him.

His numbers are slightly off because of flucuations or perhaps they were rounded but he is living that lifestyle and unless we want to go visit him....lol...there is no way to really know.
I can see how he might do it, but he's not doing it. I'm not attacking this person. I'm just saying that the numbers don't add up and the budget is incomplete. Yet, weirdly, everyone keeps posting about this as if it were a real world situation, when it is not. I keep track of every penny I spend every month, so I know for a fact how much I am spending and what I am spending it on. My budget is a wee bit longer than four or five items. If you want to discuss "how do people do it" as is the topic of this thread, then its important to address real world scenarios, actual numbers, and real budgets -- not imaginary, made-up, or unfinished ones.

I'm totally baffled. Why is this so difficult to comprehend? Am I talking in a foreign language here? I feel like we're all taking about fictitious cartoon people who eat beans and pork fat and live in a world where people call to their neighbors out the kitchen window instead of using telephones. The question is, how do real people live on unrealistic incomes? How do they manage to survive at the poverty level? Not easily, I can imagine. Hard to call in late for work when you don't have a phone.

Greenie

Last edited by GreenMachine; 10-31-2007 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,408 posts, read 9,687,290 times
Reputation: 1369
I agree with Greenie, that budget is incomplete. It's not likely that that post describes a real-life scenario. Yes, we can all imagine living on ramen, beans and rice and mashed-potatoes-from-a-box but how realistic is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,783 posts, read 47,689,470 times
Reputation: 17691
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
... I'm totally baffled. Why is this so difficult to comprehend? Am I talking in a foreign language here? I feel like we're all taking about fictitious cartoon people who eat beans and pork fat and live in a world where people call to their neighbors out the kitchen window instead of using telephones. The question is, how do real people live on unrealistic incomes? How do they manage to survive at the poverty level. Not easily, I can imagine.

Greenie
People can and do choose to live simple lives.

To live without the complexity that others find so necessary.

We have a TV. We receive two TV channels, ABC and PBS. As it turns out we rarely turn on our TV. We have no 'need' for a TV to be on, and we spend no money on TV.

We have neighbors who have no TVs.

When you are addicted than you must feed your addiction. Whatever that addiction costs, you must pay, and there goes your money without any conscious thought of your own. Because the addiction is in control.

Now I am addicted to cellphones, I came from a profession where continuous connectivity was required, so I became used to it. But now I see that most of the other folks that I deal with, function fine without cellphones. I am not ready yet to dis-connect myself from the cellphone addiction, but I can see that it is an addiction, and it is costing me money, and it serves little useful purpose.

My DW uses a Tracphone. Yesterday I had to buy her new airtime for her cellphone. She spends far more time, right now, on the road than I do. And yet this past 365 days, from 60 minutes she still had 20 minutes left on her phone. So she only used 40 minutes of cellphone time during the entire year.

These addictions are what cost us money.

Whether it is eating processed foods [which are terrible for you];
or cable;
or cellphones;
or eating out;
or new cars;
or new clothes;
or watching movies;

It is easy to live and to prosper at a lower cost-of-living, and it puts you back into control of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,783 posts, read 47,689,470 times
Reputation: 17691
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I agree with Greenie, that budget is incomplete. It's not likely that that post describes a real-life scenario. Yes, we can all imagine living on ramen, beans and rice and mashed-potatoes-from-a-box but how realistic is it?
I certainly do not like eating food from a box.

We eat more from a bag, a 50 pound bag that is.

This evening we have just finished eating baked ham, scalloped potatoes, wine.

The potatoes were some that we had dehydrated, and was our first try at re-hydrating them. We were given a truckload of potatoes by a neighbor months ago, and at the time, we did not know what to do with so many potatoes. We tried dehydrating a hundred pounds or so, just to see if it would work. A lot of the potatoes we fed to the hog.

Our pork does cost us a lot more, DW worked out that on average our pork costs us about $1 per pound.

So it was a fairly cheap meal, but our teen sure did eat a lot of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,408 posts, read 9,687,290 times
Reputation: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
These addictions are what cost us money.

Whether it is eating processed foods [which are terrible for you];
or cable;
or cellphones;
or eating out;
or new cars;
or new clothes;
or watching movies;

It is easy to live and to prosper at a lower cost-of-living, and it puts you back into control of your life.
I would agree that cable, cell phones, eating out and watching movies are "luxury items." However, cars do not run forever, and clothes eventually wear out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 06:32 AM
 
4,970 posts, read 3,965,260 times
Reputation: 2933
My ex bil who is a doctor lives so frugily. He has no family, sleeps in a 2 bed shack, his bed is a matress on cinder blocks. We moved out of his house about 15 years ago and it is still the same way ; needs to be totally gutted and redone.

While I understand this is the way he has choosen to live, the other part of me thinks what a waste. Here he is earning probably about $150,000 or more per year and will never get a chance to enjoy life and then when he dies, his ex wife will inherit it all and blow it all.

There is living frugily and then there is just been a miser.
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 10:26 AM
 
781 posts, read 3,492,844 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I can see how he might do it, but he's not doing it. I'm not attacking this person. I'm just saying that the numbers don't add up and the budget is incomplete. Yet, weirdly, everyone keeps posting about this as if it were a real world situation, when it is not. I keep track of every penny I spend every month, so I know for a fact how much I am spending and what I am spending it on. My budget is a wee bit longer than four or five items. If you want to discuss "how do people do it" as is the topic of this thread, then its important to address real world scenarios, actual numbers, and real budgets -- not imaginary, made-up, or unfinished ones.

I'm totally baffled. Why is this so difficult to comprehend? Am I talking in a foreign language here? I feel like we're all taking about fictitious cartoon people who eat beans and pork fat and live in a world where people call to their neighbors out the kitchen window instead of using telephones. The question is, how do real people live on unrealistic incomes? How do they manage to survive at the poverty level? Not easily, I can imagine. Hard to call in late for work when you don't have a phone.

Greenie
You are not speaking a foreign language.....I just think that there are others out there who live a far different lifestyle and material objects, including cars, cable, internet, etc are not important....they are luxuries. I tell my children all the time....back when I was young there was no internet, no cable, no vcr/dvd players, no cordless phones let alone cell phones, etc. They are not necessary items in order to live.

We, like you, have a very detailed budget that includes computer replacement, car repairs/replacement, life insurance, LTD plans, etc. but everyone is not the same. If someone can exist happily on $8000 a year, who are we to judge that? If he is misleading in his/her post then so be it....it can never be proven either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top