Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:38 AM

8,911 posts, read 11,700,482 times

Advertisements

You don't have to be poor to live frugally. Hetty Green was the one of the richest Americans and the richest woman in her time. She lived on much less than that.

Biography of Witch of Wall Street Hetty Green Part 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,013,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
This evening we have just finished eating baked ham, scalloped potatoes, wine.

The potatoes were some that we had dehydrated, and was our first try at re-hydrating them. We were given a truckload of potatoes by a neighbor months ago, and at the time, we did not know what to do with so many potatoes. We tried dehydrating a hundred pounds or so, just to see if it would work. A lot of the potatoes we fed to the hog.
OK, I'm fascinated, how did the potatoes come out after re-hydrating them?

And also, potatoes keep pretty well in a cool environment, don't you have a root celler?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
You don't have to be poor to live frugally. Hetty Green was the one of the richest Americans and the richest woman in her time. She lived on much less than that.

Biography of Witch of Wall Street Hetty Green Part 2
Wretched old miser who cared about nobody but herself. Her son had to have his leg amputated because she wouldn't pay for proper medical care.

Greenie

Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 AM

8,911 posts, read 11,700,482 times
She was truly a woman ahead of her time. Some of the things she did such as supplying her own bottle when buying medicines and reselling used newspapers might have sparked the save-the-environment movement as we know it today. And her son didn't do too badly after she died.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-01-2007 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-01-2007, 12:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
She was truly a woman ahead of her time. Some of the things she did such as supplying her own bottle when buying medicines and reselling used newspapers might have sparked the save-the-environment movement as we know it today. And her son didn't do too badly after she died.
Ahead of her time? Are you joking? This woman had a psychosis of sorts. She was paranoid and emotionally void. Her son had his leg amputated because she was too cheap to take care of it properly.

I don't know what's going on, but there seems to be a general confusion on this thread on the difference between being frugal and living the bleak empty desolate life of a miser. And with that, I'm moving on to another thread.

Greenie

Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 PM

37,296 posts, read 61,087,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony B View Post
OK, I'm fascinated, how did the potatoes come out after re-hydrating them?

And also, potatoes keep pretty well in a cool environment, don't you have a root cellar?
They were great!

We do not have a root cellar. We have considered building one, however so much of the time our land is wet and has a lot of standing water, I think that if I dig out a root cellar it would fill with water from time to time.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
You know, it all really comes down to your psychological and social capacity to BE a proudly frugal person. Which of the following statements best describes you:

1. Oh, come in and look at my new sofa. It cost $1,000, but it looks perfect in my living room."

2. Oh, come in and look at my new sofa. I picked it up on the curb on trash amnesty day, and it's so-o-o comfy."

Old 08-25-2011, 12:28 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,099,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
I have a question on finances. We make a six figure income and I am trying to figure out how others do it on this income. We dont have fancy cars ; one is 7 yr old(100,000 miles), one is 4 yr old(75,000 miles). I went to look at a new car yesterday and was astounded at how expensive they are and what payements would be. I see nothing but suv's etc here where we live that are probably costing $40,000 at least.
We both work, we have two investment houses (both are not rented at the moment, one is being redone, the other, we are trying to get a tenant), we didnt have any credit card debt until our tenant moved out and we used all our savings to redo the house. Now we are back into credit card debt again(unfortunately). We dont eat out much, we dont buy a lot, we dont go on fancy vacations ; when I go home, I go at the off peak times and try to get cheap flights, we havent bought new furniture in years.

Obviously the new car will be put on hold, but I am wondering if everyone is deep into debt, or just living for today.
thanks
dorothy

I'd bet that it's the little things (Starbux mentality) and the property which is doing you in.

THe 'little things' add up to alot over time.

I'm ~$30, and until I moved out the family of 5 did fine on less than $50K a year. (Almost no debt)

Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,181,993 times
I realize the original post is pretty old, but I think it answers itself. The people who are able to "do it" today (and tomorrow, and yesterday) are the ones who don't finance the remodel of a rental house with a credit card. Especially when the second rental house is empty.

The fact that somebody would even consider doing this speaks volumes about the overall attitude toward money management.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:36 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,742,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
I have a question on finances. We make a six figure income and I am trying to figure out how others do it on this income. We dont have fancy cars ; one is 7 yr old(100,000 miles), one is 4 yr old(75,000 miles). I went to look at a new car yesterday and was astounded at how expensive they are and what payements would be. I see nothing but suv's etc here where we live that are probably costing $40,000 at least.
We both work, we have two investment houses (both are not rented at the moment, one is being redone, the other, we are trying to get a tenant), we didnt have any credit card debt until our tenant moved out and we used all our savings to redo the house. Now we are back into credit card debt again(unfortunately). We dont eat out much, we dont buy a lot, we dont go on fancy vacations ; when I go home, I go at the off peak times and try to get cheap flights, we havent bought new furniture in years.

Obviously the new car will be put on hold, but I am wondering if everyone is deep into debt, or just living for today.
thanks
dorothy
I drive new cars thanks to really cheap credit; I am paying for my 30K SUV over 6 years at 1.7% interest with nothing down. My last new car was 0% interest and I traded it in with no negative equity.

Even I can manage those kind of terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living