Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times

Advertisements

Beall's Outlet and Burke's Outlet.

Bought a couple of golf shirts there a few years back for $3 each and I still am wearing them eight years later.

Bought two pairs of name brand athletic shoes for $22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,668,763 times
A few years back I scored my best haul ever! At JCP I got 6 pairs of leather boots for $9.00 each, some sweaters and blouses, and I don't even remember what else. My total was 80-some dollars, and at the bottom of the receipt it said I saved 800-and-something dollars!!!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,686 times
I used to live near a Sear's outlet and I went there to get cheap baby clothes for a pregnant friend. As I'm going to check out, the cashier asked me if I was a rewards member (I wasn't) and said if I joined, I could get a free article of clothing every Tuesday! This special was only for certain parts of the year and but I went for probably 4 months straight and got free sweaters, bathing suits, shirts, dresses, shorts. It wasn't necessarily the best clothes and I definitely wouldn't have bought them elsewise, but they were FREE. I still can't wrap my brain around it.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Beall's Outlet and Burke's Outlet.

Bought a couple of golf shirts there a few years back for $3 each and I still am wearing them eight years later.

Bought two pairs of name brand athletic shoes for $22.

We have both a Beall's and Burke's in my small town....two of our favorite stores. I buy 90% of my clothes and shoes at Beall's from the clearance racks. Feels so great to find such high quality men's shirts and I've also paid $3 for shirts. I would never pay full price for any type of clothing when such a store is around.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,031 times
My wife loves cheap. So she waits till Goodwill runs a half off sale, usually around holidays. She spend the whole day looking for used brand name clothing. She gets them not only for cheap but cheap+ 50% off. Or she goes to a yard sale and buys clothes for a $1 or $2.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,300 times
I have so many great things I got from free to a few dollars.

I restrict most of my shopping to thrift stores and yard sales. Thrift stores have raised prices so I'm tipping my buying habits in favor of yard sales nowadays. (I ride my bike to them to save on gasoline.)

I like to wear high end hiking type clothes, The North Face, Patagonia, etc. But I never pay retail for this stuff. Over the years I have built up quite a nice collection of this high end brand clothing and shoes bought slightly used at yard sales and gear swaps for $1-$5 each.

Yesterday I wore a very nice Patagonia Capilene zip neck top that I got last year at a gear swap for $1. It was like new when I got it. Maybe had been worn once. What are these $50+ new?

I have a very nice pair of made in Italy Vasque Sundowner hiking boots that someone gave to me for free (these boots are now made in China). I have a great pair of Lowa hiking boots that I got at a yard sale for 25c.

I'm ready for a new season of yard sales and wondering what treasures I'll find for 50c.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,738,879 times
I sometimes go to goodwills 50% off day. Even if it's not a necessity to shop there, I kind of like it. You can see how the clothes hold up to washings and they probably won't shrink. You can go through racks and pick out the quality brands. And if you get a stain on it after wearing it a couple times, then no big deal. It was just $2 or $3. I've found some of my favorite clothes there. I'd still shop there if I'm ever rich. It beats walking all over the mall. I'm actually wearing some 50% off goodwill shorts now.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
We have both a Beall's and Burke's in my small town....two of our favorite stores. I buy 90% of my clothes and shoes at Beall's from the clearance racks. Feels so great to find such high quality men's shirts and I've also paid $3 for shirts. I would never pay full price for any type of clothing when such a store is around.
About eight years ago, my nephew and I were heading around NM. It was getting late and we had no clean shirts for the next day and little time for laundry. We went into Burke's and bought two shirts for $7 total - for him, a t-shirt, for me a polo shirt. That $3 polo shirt (Islands Original) has been laundered 50 times and still looks good. So much for "you get what you pay for."

Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,537,062 times
Last Christmas my family went to our local St. Vincent De Paul's thrift store looking for gifts.

I found a wooden bathroom shelf decorated with fish and seashell decals that I knew a friend would love. I also found a towel with a fish on it and three suction cup fish for her tub. The shelf was $3.50, the towel .50, the fish a buck.

My brother found some blank VHS tapes that were fifty cents each... there were two partial packages, one had 6, the other 7.

I bought a large bag of phony legos for a little friend. $2.00

I found rolls and rolls of wrapping paper for fifty cents a roll... I bought 5 of these.

I needed new pill organizers and did not want to pay over $7.00 for one at the pharmacy. I found three weekly ones for fifty cents each.

Two real nice picture frames were on sale for a buck a piece. I wanted to frame two pictures for gifts and these were the perfect size.

There was a lot of smaller stuff that I can't remember now, but it was a lot! We came out of there with three LARGE bags, plus the shelf that was not bagged.

Total cost... $3.50!

Our St Vinnys gives punch cards; for every $10. you spend you get one punch on your card. When you have 20 punches and your card is full they take it and give you $10.00 credit.
I had one almost filled $5.00 punch card and one almost filled $10.00 one. (The $5.00 was years old and I had just recently found it.) The cashier took both cards after she rang up my purchase and then told me I owed her the $3.50.
Then, she gets me a new $10. card and punches 10 holes in it!

I know I didn't pick up that much in merchandise... it might have been closer to $50. than a hundred or more. I told the cashier that she must have given me too many punches, but she shrugged me off with a smile, a wink and a "Merry Christmas".

I still smile when I think of that shopping trip.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,448 times
I adore thrift stores now. I never used to go to them, but my husband and MIL turned me on to them.

Probably two of my favorite scores were a beautiful Michael Kors shirt for like $3, and then I recently found a BRAND NEW Tommy Hilfiger purse. It was gorgeous and looked like it had never been used. I realized the only thing wrong with it was the zipper wasn't working. Took it to a shoe repair shop and they repaired it for me for $20 I only spent $10 for the purse. I was happy getting a purse that normal retails for over $100 for $30

I've also bought Seven jeans for $10

I can't imagine ever buying anything new again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living