U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times

Advertisements

We bought below what we were approved for... then paid it off in 7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:57 AM

5,917 posts, read 4,056,688 times
We bought about 20-25% below what we were approved for, this was 10 years ago. We saw the ups and downs and ups of the LA real estate market and just sat put.

On the plus side...it allowed us to do other things with our money including retirement savings, rainy day fund, some upgrades, and some (OK, a lot of) fun.

On the down side...if we had bought higher there may have been a chance we would have stayed put much longer. We've outgrown our house and the neighborhood doesn't warrant adding on to our place. The elementary school sucks. We went from having reasonable and nice neighbors to ones we don't feel any commonality with.

Not that an extra 10-15% that we would have spent would have guaranteed anything...but I feel it may have.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
I bought the home I wanted and it was below our means.
But price was part of the criteria.
Saw others who were house poor and wasn't falling for that.

And, btw, what you "qualify" for and what you can afford (your means) are not the same thing.
So buying less than what you qualify for isn't necessarily buying below your means.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:07 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Thee old rule is 2-2.5 times your annual gross income to buy a house. So has anyone bought a house for $90,000 when they were approved for $300,000? Just think you save in my area $3,000+ a year on taxes by buying a 90K house over a 300K house, plus you save $210,000. I always hear "when you have kids you'll want a bigger house but I grew up in a 1,000 sq/ft house and space was never an issue simply because you do not know any better. I imagine for my CD Friends who live in a 3,000+ sq/ft house this might seem nut-so, but you really don't know any better and are used to it so it really isn't an issue.

Question is very subjective I know, but I am asking for responses from people who bought a house they needed as opposed to one they wanted? here let me ask it this way, if you could pay off that 90K house in 10 years what would you say? I mean, this leaves a whole bunch of money for travel, country club, yacht club or extra car, college fund or retirement fund.

So Who bought a lower priced house when they were approved for way more?
I did for sure and several times as a retiree. Many of the folks I have known over the years did also. To be exact about your question all of the folks who retired or just transplanted and paid cash for their new home did so.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 PM

6,717 posts, read 11,166,301 times
Quote:
Thee old rule is 2-2.5 times your annual gross income to buy a house. So has anyone bought a house for $90,000 when they were approved for $300,000? Just think you save in my area $3,000+ a year on taxes by buying a 90K house over a 300K house, plus you save $210,000. I always hear "when you have kids you'll want a bigger house but I grew up in a 1,000 sq/ft house and space was never an issue simply because you do not know any better. I imagine for my CD Friends who live in a 3,000+ sq/ft house this might seem nut-so, but you really don't know any better and are used to it so it really isn't an issue.

Question is very subjective I know, but I am asking for responses from people who bought a house they needed as opposed to one they wanted? here let me ask it this way, if you could pay off that 90K house in 10 years what would you say? I mean, this leaves a whole bunch of money for travel, country club, yacht club or extra car, college fund or retirement fund.

I don't get why you have to buy an expensive, fancy house if you make a lot of money.

Nothing wrong with a person making $1mil a year buying say a $200,000 house if he/she is happy with it.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:01 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:

We purchased a 1989 mobile home for $6,800, so I'm thinking yes.

The land we put the mobile home on cost $24,000 dollars. We put in the electrical service, well and septic which came to about another $15,000. At the time we were making about 18K a year.

The mobile home is small (14X56) less than 800 square feet of usable space. We have a storage building/garage/workshop for our "junk". I would have liked to have a little bigger place (a second bathroom would be nice some times), but I am very happy with what we have.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-17-2013, 01:22 PM

1,612 posts, read 3,257,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I'm thinking about it. I kind of like this ultra small movement that is catching on. I find I really don't need a lot of space. What I do want is super nice fittings and fixtures. So I think it would work for me. The problem is that it will be hard to find something like that in a nicer part of town. Developers assume that people who live in nice neighborhoods want large, tony homes.

Yes, you have excellent thinking there. Only buy as much square footage you truly need. However, make the home a jewel!! Use high quality fixtures, furnishings and materials. It might behoove you to buy a great lot and build a smaller/smarter dream home. It will appreciate nicely with great location and wonderful construction.

I worked for a man and his family who had a huge home as he liked to show off his wealth. The entry of the home was a approximately 20X20 feet and it led into a long hall that ran the length of the home,,it was hardwood and about 12 feet wide..His kids used to as a skating rink with both socks and rollerblades. I have often wondered how much that home cost to heat and cool with 20 ceilings.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 PM

5,577 posts, read 4,782,672 times
Evey house/condo were less than i could have been approved for. I don't think I know anyone who went the max amount.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:56 PM

929 posts, read 1,823,735 times
In 1981, when mortgage rates were 14.5%, we bought what would be considered a starter home by many. I added a family room and bath to the 3br home in 1989, instead of moving to a larger home. I paid $39,500 for the home and I'll probably die in this home. Could I purchase a more expensive home at the time? Sure, but I didn't see the need and still don't. When you say that you should live on less than you make, it means settling on less from purchases, including the house, the car, the whatever. I really feel that our home of 1400 sq. feet is more house than we really need.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:37 PM

645 posts, read 515,925 times
Wifey and me have just bought a house which we both, working together, can pay off in 10 years (or earlier), while living comfortably.

The reasons we did not opt for a bigger house were:

1. Future is uncertain, and we don't want to be bogged down by the EMIs should our financial situation change in future.

2. Wifey would like to stay at home for a few months after we have our kid(s), and hence, I didn't want to count on two incomes being available all the time.

3. The peace of mind we get by not having a huge mortgage on our heads.

4. If we need to shift to a bigger place later, we can always sell this house and do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or