Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,387,378 times

Advertisements

Does anyone see an advantage in splurging on expensive jeans?

A few years ago I bought Sevens(Goodwill) or whatever they were, and the fabric was nicer and didn't stretch out as quickly as my cheap jeans. I usually don't buy expensive clothes; many outfits are 2nd hand.

The other day, I noticed some cute jeans at WalMart for 13 bucks. The denim has a nice light wash color and light texture.

My new rule is no new clothes until I donate/repurpose the current clothes.

So if they still have a pair in my size after the holidays, I'm going to go for it. Perhaps there really is no difference in the denim .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 06:11 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,678,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post

A few years ago I bought Sevens(Goodwill) or whatever they were, and the fabric was nicer and didn't stretch out as quickly as my cheap jeans. I usually don't buy expensive clothes; many outfits are 2nd hand.

The other day, I noticed some cute jeans at WalMart for 13 bucks. The denim has a nice light wash color and light texture.

So if they still have a pair in my size after the holidays, I'm going to go for it. Perhaps there really is no difference in the denim .
there are noticeable differences between cheap jeans and expensive jeans. expensive jeans (although almost never worth it) have different weights and feels to them. you can buy one type in many different options, such as, light, medium, heavy (weight/material) different shads etc. now many people do not care about this unless you live in a crazy climate (either super hot all the time or cold all the time).

cheap jeans will almost looks exactly like a nice expensive pair, however, in my experience they tend to break down faster and are made with lesser quality.

i agree, donating old clothes once you pick up new ones is a must. one should always keep the same number of clothes, regardless of new or old.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:33 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,328,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post

i buy "designer" jeans when they go on sale at Nordstroms. They last longer and the material is nicer. But on a regular basis, I buy Lucky Jeans on sale. I hate how the cheap jeans feel. There's also a few great high end thrift shops in NYC that I like to hit up.

I used to buy cheap jeans, but they get holes in them so much faster, I felt as though I was just wasting money.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:09 PM

164 posts, read 194,685 times
I just had a family from Australia staying here for a month. They spend thousands traveling overseas but almost never eat out and buy the cheapest of clothes and have a modest size home. We on the other hands eat out all the time, have several properties and prefer domestic travel. They think they're wealthy because they could afford to travel overseas all the time then come here and couldn't believe that our taste in regards to food of every culture is far more refined than theirs when we don't travel overseas every year.

Why spend drop a few thousand for 13 sleepless hours for a week or two of sightseeing and highway robbery when I can use the same money to enjoy myself all year at home?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:32 PM

654 posts, read 939,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
Are any of you frugal in one area so that you would be able to spend more in another? For instance do any of you drive a paid off car for years (8+) so that you would be able to buy a better house in a good neighborhood, or do any of you not have cable or an expensive cell phone plan so that you can buy more groceries? Also do are any of you frugal so that you can travel or enjoy hobbies that bring you pleasure.
I think all frugal people are like this to a degree, except for true misers. I'm frugal in many ways in order to save money for a decent home.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:14 AM

108 posts, read 149,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i buy "designer" jeans when they go on sale at Nordstroms. They last longer and the material is nicer. But on a regular basis, I buy Lucky Jeans on sale. I hate how the cheap jeans feel. There's also a few great high end thrift shops in NYC that I like to hit up.

I used to buy cheap jeans, but they get holes in them so much faster, I felt as though I was just wasting money.
I can second this.

I use to buy all of my jeans from Kohls but most of them wore out quickly and had to be replaced. I splurged and picked up several pairs of jeans from The Gap and what a world of difference in comfort and durability. I have also noticed that the dress pants that I have purchased from Kohls also seem to wear out much quickly. Come to think of it a lot of the clothes that I have picked up Kohls have worn out very quickly.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:44 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,997,498 times
Quote:
i buy leather shoes for 100-150, they last me for a very long time, compared to some cheapo material/plastic shoes from nike or other sports company for 50-60.
But even then there are more than a few price points for getting quality for a given price. Good quality leather shoes that last a very long time can be purchased for a lot less than $100-150. So what's frugal for one person, another would consider overpaying, so not that frugal.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,459,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post

my wife has managed to sneakily get me some fancy jeans. I see now im wearing rock and republic jeans. I don't know how much they cost, but I hope not too much. it doesn't matter too much since if she wants to buy me something fancy, i make it come out of her budget. I don't really think I have ever had an issue with jeans getting holes or anything. they may not fit right or look good (I have clothes that I was wearing in high school and sometimes they were more loose or tight) but damage isn't a jean issue.

I recently had a pair of sneakers bought within 6 months or so where they whole bottom came off while I was walking my dog. so I learned a lesson on buying cheap sneakers.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,678,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
But even then there are more than a few price points for getting quality for a given price. Good quality leather shoes that last a very long time can be purchased for a lot less than $100-150. So what's frugal for one person, another would consider overpaying, so not that frugal.
yup, you have to factor in style and a persons personal preference in there was well.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:14 PM

651 posts, read 858,354 times
I spend $1,100 for a family of 5 on food (1 is a 3 month old). And they say we don't have inflation, yea ok bro. This is mainly shopping at Sam's Club. me and 2 boys eat like beasts.

We own our cars, I do all the work on them. shared insurance through work on a discounted plan. (3) cars and renters insurance through metlife is $1300/year. (1) car is only liability.

We don't buy expensive clothes, rent, buy and resell clothes for money on the side, have some converse shoes I purchased for $24 shipped.

I splurged on one of the cars and spent around $30-35K on it, decked out fully built my me and tuned RX7 FD.

Typically save for investments for a very early retirement hopefully. Shooting for before 40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living