Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I'm frugal in the clothes I wear... kinda sad really.

But then I have $35,000 in 4 watches.
Long ago, I ask a guy who had a Rolex watch, what does his Rolex watch do? He says it tells you what the time is . Good thing my cheap Pulsar watch does that too...tells time. I thought for a second there, he was going to say it makes love to him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Long ago, I ask a guy who had a Rolex watch, what does his Rolex watch do? He says it tells you what the time is . Good thing my cheap Pulsar watch does that too...tells time. I thought for a second there, he was going to say it makes love to him
Yes, but your pulsar watch isn't worth what you paid for it.

I paid $4500 for my Submariner and you can sell it for at least a grand more in the used market seeing how the brand new one is $8500.

All 3 other Rolex watches that I own (Daytona, Milgauss, GMTIIC) all sell (as used watches) for at least what I paid for when I bought them brand new 2 years ago.

So, while your Pulsar watch also tells time, my 4 Rolexes actually hold value and are part of my net worth.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 PM

103 posts, read 325,960 times
Quote:

I paid $4500 for my Submariner and you can sell it for at least a grand more in the used market seeing how the brand new one is $8500.

All 3 other Rolex watches that I own (Daytona, Milgauss, GMTIIC) all sell (as used watches) for at least what I paid for when I bought them brand new 2 years ago.

So, while your Pulsar watch also tells time, my 4 Rolexes actually hold value and are part of my net worth.
That's a nice collection you have there , I shopping for a 18k day-date right now!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
We don't have cable, Dish or Direct TV. Had Netflix for a while but that was over 2 years ago when they doubled the price. Both cars paid for. We could trade up but both are in great working condition. Also don't have "smart phones". With the money we don't use for those things we like to travel and enjoy a good restaurant a couple times a month.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
That's a nice collection you have there , I shopping for a 18k day-date right now!
That'd be a sick watch!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:36 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
With the money we don't use for those things we like to travel and enjoy a good restaurant a couple times a month.
I use my savings for roses and notecards and little things for my lover.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
Are any of you frugal in one area so that you would be able to spend more in another? For instance do any of you drive a paid off car for years (8+) so that you would be able to buy a better house in a good neighborhood, or do any of you not have cable or an expensive cell phone plan so that you can buy more groceries? Also do are any of you frugal so that you can travel or enjoy hobbies that bring you pleasure.
i am frugal when it comes to myself and food. it helps me spend more on my wife and daughter. its not like i have a choice in the matter, so im just limiting the damage.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Ditto to most of what was posted. Funny story:

My wife got a call on her cell phone. Didn't recognize the number, so didn't answer. Then we got to think; isn't that ----'s number? We used to work with him until 2004!

So she calls him back. He's puzzled; says he didn't call us, but glad to hear we're well. Guess it was a butt-dial. We laugh.

What's funny? ---- is a millionaire! Young, and comes from a really wealthy family; season Yankee tickets; specially equipped Jag for the person who had a stroke in their family; several businesses. And he is walking around with a phone that is at least 9 years old.

Yeah. Most millionaires have an innate sense of what is worth what, and where the money is.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:

you planning on selling/trading them? my wife gives that bs when it comes to jewelry, but its not like she has any intention of selling the jewelry so what do i care if it appreciates in value?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you planning on selling/trading them? my wife gives that bs when it comes to jewelry, but its not like she has any intention of selling the jewelry so what do i care if it appreciates in value?
I've thought about it several times. It's an easy sell. I can fund anything with the sale of my watches.

Jewelry is a whole 'nother matter. Those are much less liquid as there isn't an established value even for diamonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living