Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 09:49 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times

Advertisements

Made turkey soup found turkey legs on sale for $1.17/pound, crock pot until meat falls off, strain, chop up meat, add chopped potatoes, carrots, onions, tomato soup, tomato paste, worchestshire sauce, that and I made oatmeal bread in my bread maker...the soup is the type that gets better the longer it sets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Yep, use you low dryer settings! I have been hanging my loads for almost a year, then just fluff with a softener sheet for ten minutes on low. You can't tell the difference except on your power bill.
I don't ever use high heat except for towels (and I'll have to try medium on them and see how that works!).

I always use low for jeans, just enough to get the wrinkles out (5 minutes or so), then hang to dry. If I have time after they are dry, I put them back in on "Fluff/No Heat" and tumble for 20-30 minutes to soften....no softener sheet needed. If I don't have time, well, we just wear them a little stiffer that time.

And actually, using vinegar in the rinse cycle softens them enough to where they are not excessively stiff even if I don't have time to tumble after they're dry....it dissolves the remaining soap, which is what makes fabrics stiff (soap left in them after washing).

Old 10-27-2014, 11:25 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
Thanks luvark!!!!!!! I have heard about the vinegar thing but it was not mentioned as to WHY the vinegar works.

I do the two rinse cycle thing. We have well water.

WOW Marylee, nice hit on the turkey! Food prices are really jumping higher lately, or is it just me??

I don't know what to make for lunch so just sitting here listening to tummy growls.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
I drove my own car.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM

148 posts, read 523,356 times
I went to Chipotle got a chicken burrito with everything on it, but sour cream and guacamole... It always ends up stuffed so much they double wrap. I then carefully unwrap and split the fillings. Eat the inner one that's ripped and save the other for latter (ends up the size of one "normal" one).

Old 10-27-2014, 01:00 PM

983 posts, read 2,541,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Interesting, our last water bill was 10,000 gal LESS than previous bills! That's a lot of water! Just for simple things, like not running the water while brushing your teeth, etc, etc.... Little things really do add up
Wow, that's a big difference . I need to see how to lower mine.. I am going to call the city and see if they would install a second meter for my yard/garden.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
went to Boston Market with two coupons where kids eat free with adult meal and then filled out customer review online with those receipts and now we have two 20% off coupons for next time. I love their cornbread.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
at lunch at home. save 10 by buying my art paint at a store on discount while shopping for mom.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:56 AM

202 posts, read 231,189 times
I use over-the-air TV reception and have more to watch than I care to watch. Got rid of my land line back in '07. Traded in my big Buick for a little (used) Chrysler which doubled my mileage. Can't eat pasta, rice or bread (diabetes) so food is higher. Need to find a good place to buy my meds. Because of serial burglaries, had to move (owned my house outright), so that's $900 (incl. utilities and pet rent) that I didn't have to spend before. I could move to the ghetto for $600 per month, with the promise of more recurring burglaries (or worse). Try to purchase all but undies on eBay (have been quite successful). Should have retired 2 years ago, but am still working (it's not so bad). I don't have a computer (the apt. complex does and I do use it), don't have a smartphone (just a flip) and I'm doing just fine. Hoping to find some marked down meat at Kroger tonight.

Keep the tips coming. I've enjoyed reading this ENTIRE thread (over about a week).

Old 10-28-2014, 03:08 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
Wow, Kitty, you just might be our poster child.

I follow a diabetic diet by choice if you want to swap ideas. I did some chicken split breasts in the crock for lunch, sadly, they were bland; I need to double or triple the spices.

Have you thought about sharing a house as opposed to an apartment? Lots of older folks do the Golden Girls thing.

Please check out the Aetna Vital Savings program for discounts on meds/vision/dental/chiropractor. It's 12.99 a month and we save 80 dollars a month with it just on our chiro visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living