Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 12:16 PM

22,237 posts, read 29,263,795 times

Advertisements

Awesome job!!! I bet you feel so proud of yourself! Dinner looked tasty.

BLD at the house all week as we leave for LV Sunday and money will be spent. I was going to get my hair done for the trip but I'm going to skip it-Saving myself $75 that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 01:12 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,247,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Awesome job!!! I bet you feel so proud of yourself! Dinner looked tasty.

BLD at the house all week as we leave for LV Sunday and money will be spent. I was going to get my hair done for the trip but I'm going to skip it-Saving myself $75 that way.
I used to do that, but realized vacation is when I get lots of pics taken of me. I bought new clothes and had my hair done right before vacation this year. I look good in my pics. More power to you if you can forgo the cost.

Haven't set any money yet today. Working on a menu before I run to the store . Just got back from visiting friends and family in other states. Pulling stuff out of the freezer for tonight's meal. Forgot to put the bread in the fridge before I left so that may be a waste. I did manage to freeze the leftover pecan pie and a couple of other things left from Christmas dinner .

Old 01-05-2015, 01:21 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,727,858 times
Lusitano, that is so cool you can use the granite like individual cooktops. It must be like Benihana's at your place!

The wind is gusting up to 50MPH, it's like a freight train out there. It's about 18F outside. I am amazed that the power is still on, honestly.

I didn't spend anything but it will cost me an extra flake of hay to bring the horses in early and extra bedding to keep them warm for the next few nights. It's worth it.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I used to do that, but realized vacation is when I get lots of pics taken of me. I bought new clothes and had my hair done right before vacation this year. I look good in my pics. More power to you if you can forgo the cost.

Haven't set any money yet today. Working on a menu before I run to the store . Just got back from visiting friends and family in other states. Pulling stuff out of the freezer for tonight's meal. Forgot to put the bread in the fridge before I left so that may be a waste. I did manage to freeze the leftover pecan pie and a couple of other things left from Christmas dinner .
I was only going to get it curled because I'm a blonde and can't curl my own hair. No big deal

Old 01-05-2015, 05:48 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,368,381 times
I returned 3 pairs of Levi's to Penneys -- I had ordered them online with free shipping and they didn't fit but they sent me a 20% coupon with the order so while there today I found a really nice water resistant black hooded jacket with a fleece lining in their clearance section and used the coupon. I have been looking for quite some time for just this type of jacket so it was NOT an impulse purchase. Made myself stop at the Safeway because avacados are $1 each and we eat them everyday with salad. Came home and ate leftovers for lunch. I found two big slices of meatloaf left in the refrigerator and 4 pieces of really good crusty Italian bread as well as some expensive sliced provolone cheese so I made grilled meatloaf and cheese sandwiches (also added some Italian olive spread and some fresh arugula) -- then after they cooled put them in tupperware and into the freezer -- will use them later this month with soup for a nice dinner. I have done this before and they heat up nicely in the toaster oven or the main oven if you are using that for something else.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:44 PM

Bf and I went out to dinner last night but it was inexpensive-$25 with tip. Staying in for the rest of the week till our trip.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:05 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,758,429 times
Instead of paying a buck and a half for a single-dip ice cream cone, I bought a whole pint of butter pecan store brand for 1.48, and sat down and ate it in the supermarket parking lot with a plastic spoon. Supermarkets have a lot of great frugal deals like that, for example, a whole rotisseried chicken for the price of a box of 5 or 6 nuggets. Grab a loaf of fesh oven-warm French bread for your "sides". Does that sound good, or what?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 AM

It's snowing here so I canceled my mani/pedi apt and will just take care of them myself. Save $50. I am getting my eyebrows done on Friday though. They are a little out of control.

Bf off today so all food at home and watch movies. Good snuggling weather here. Plus we'll start packing for LV and clean out the storage closet on the patio

Old 01-07-2015, 11:54 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,727,858 times
The wind is picking up, but at least it's not nearly as cold as predicted.

Ran the big oven and cooked up some turkey, a pork loin, some salmon and a batch of cornbread. At least we won't starve if the power goes out.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:07 PM

560 posts, read 596,976 times
Just made 2 gallons of soup ... I was going for a specific type of soup but then went to the fridge and I saw I didn't have all the ignredients needed.

I just improvised ... so I used anything that was available in the fridge that was about to spoil.

Olive oil, 1 big onion and 3-4 cloves of garlic and let it sauté ... then add water ... and salt.

Potatoes ... lettuce... green beans and baloney. Let it boil for 30 minutes.

Then use a blender or magic wand to blend everything up.... then I added spinach a few slices of baloney for taste and chick peas. Let it boil for another 10-15 minutes and voila...

I remember someone saying soup 4 dollars for a serving or something...

Well total cost of this soup was:

- 30 cents of potatoes
- 20 cents of onion
- garlic (negligible)
- green beans around 20 cents or so
- lettuce probably 15-20 cents can't really say
- chick peas - 50 cents
- baloney probably 30 cents or so since i only used a few slices.
- spinach around 50 cents or so

It cost 1-1.5 USD more or less to cook 2 gallons of soup which is probably good for about 20 servings

And here it is:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living