Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 05:53 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,285,522 times

Advertisements

Today was my teams day to provide the breakfast for our monthly faculty meeting. I've been holding onto a coupon from Krispy Kreme for this occasion. Buy one dozen get the second dozen free. I also had a 50% off coupon for a box of coffee. I got all the teachers wired before the kids even entered the door!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Today we went to breakfast spent about 30 bucks. Took 4 carton of books that we found ( no money spent) to Half Price Books to sell. Got 33 bucks back. Bought some DVD's to sell on eBay , and a pack of birthday cards (I can't believe cards have gotten so expensive!), used our 5 dollar off coupons and spent 6 bucks total.

Hubby saved a book he thought might sell.... and it does, for usually 45 bucks.

We had a blast, we were out most of the day and when we eat out, we eat very little the rest of the day...

Old 01-29-2014, 11:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I have not been to the store since Christmas. Not even food shopping. I just have not been in the mood, too cold. I go to work, gym, home. I send SO shopping, he buys what he wants....I cook it. We did go out to eat tonight, first time in over a month, Subway, five dollar foot longs...

Cold weather makes me just want to stay home. Forget getting my nails done, or hair done.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,625 times
We're getting ready to move so I'm trying to use up everything in the cupboard. As a result, trips to the grocery have been scaled back..

The move is a little sudden so I'm going to lose all the lovely stock I have in the freezer from Christmas Day turkey

Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,449 times
Grits for breakfast today, yummy! I swear they multiply on the stove and in the belly probably around 25 cents or less a serving.

Prepping my $1.69 block of tofu shortly. It will provide lunch for 3.

Kiddos each have absolutely free personal pan pizza coupons from Pizza Hut that we will use this eve en route to the library were we go each week for FREE reading materials and FREE movies.

Have only eaten out 1x/ this month for DD bday and have not used a single credit card, actually recently cut those up. Will not be eating our next month at all...doing the zero sum budgeting for the 3rd month in Feb and feeling stoked by our successes to date.

Last one...
Cell power cord died last weekend but the misc. budget and gift budget already full and credit cards disposed of so here I sit all week without my I-phone. Will buy a charger tomorrow, HALLELUJAH! The experience has also made me reconsider the necessity of my already low data plan. Hmmm... thing is 3 peeps are on the plan so I need to consider others as well. There is really nothing frugal about an IPhone unless your employer is paying or unless you literally use it instead of home internet, cable and a land line. WE never pay for TV but we do have home based net service and a good old fashioned plug in the wall phone with a good old fashion screening answering machine.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM

317 posts, read 747,479 times
I bought a wood stove off of Craigslist for $100 retail was $900 hardly used.
The following week a guy listed fire wood already cut and split, the doctor told him not to use his wood stove because his son has asthma so for $100 I got two cords of wood. This was in October and It's been great with all the subzero days and nights in Vermont. I'll collect free fire wood this summer for next winter.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:06 PM

$90 in free groceries from Publix
and $60 in freebies from Walgreens
woot woot
also bought steelhead trout instead of salmon, so with the right seasoning and a lot of mental talk they taste the same but I get twice as much fish

Old 02-01-2014, 06:00 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
Unity, how did you get the freebies and free groceries? We will be moving down so I need ro strategize shopping in FL.

Yesterday DH grinned and beared my typical Saturday shopping run so we saved a 40 mile trip into town by my not going today. I also spend less time in the store so no snack at the soup bar or impulse buys.

This will give me time to work at my job and also clean up and prep for more stuff to sell off for the big move.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Publix has buy one get one deals every week on different things. The key is knowing which of their items are higher priced than the competitors and which are a decent buy and then add a coupon. So like their Pace Salsa is typically 30-40 cents higher than the competitor a block away and I normally make my own but when there is a buy one get one I hop on it and add in a 50 cent off coupon which they double. They also allow you to use manufactures and store coupons simultaneously so this helps too. Also, when I use a coupon that can be doubled I typically buy the smallest size so the item is near free.

There are some folks who do way better than I do but we typically eat a lot more fresh foods that coupons don't cover. So I usually only do major couponing once a month but I always carry my coupons to the store just in case.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Took advantage of the free food at work both yesterday and today.

Explanation: I work at an "Ivy League" university and there are sometimes catered events for visitors or conferences. Even though I am not an attendee, the caterers set a plate of food for Officer Clark when he is inbetween patrol duty. Yesterday it was delicious grilled chicken breast in some sort of citrus/pest sauce. Today it was Mediterranean salad, hummus, olives, pita bread.

IOW, spent $0.00 on food today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living