U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,953,632 times

Advertisements

I own a business and frequently buy scraps of material and cotton sheets that I recycle. I notice that everything I buy there, including clothes, has the same strong perfumey/cleanser smell to it. Even when I bring items home and wash them, the smell does not come out right away.

I asked a clerk if they clean all of the clothes, etc., that they get in, and she said "no we do not". Was she wrong? Anyone know if they use some sort of dry cleaning spray or something on items?

I have shopped at multiple different GW's and all of their cloth items have the same strong smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
Pop some tags? Everything smells like R. Kelley's sheets...

Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Pop some tags? Everything smells like R. Kelley's sheets...
Yes, I wear your grandad's clothes, mostly.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:08 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
The entire store smells. I'm not sure why. I only look at housewares, books and jigsaw puzzles, because I can't get close to the clothing without wondering about the strong smells. My college boys have bought some clothing there though, and once it's been washed, all is fine.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:22 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
I can smell different laundry soaps (and other less pleasant odors) on different articles of clothing there. They don't wash the clothes before they put them out. Different goodwills have different policies, but here they use a color-coded plastic tag and you can return clothes as long as they have that tag, if you bought them stained and took them home to see if the stains would wash out.

I know they sanitize pillows and comforters before they sell them, so possibly it has something to do with that process.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times
I know what smell you are talking about. My son will refer to it as the thrift store smell but it really IS the "Goodwill smell" and it is different from the other thrifts. I wonder if it's a febreeze type of thing? I don't know, but as others have said, they don't wash their stuff. I've found food on clothes before!

I haven't had the smell not wash out though. If it isn't washing out for you, try a vinegar rinse in the wash. The vinegar smell does NOT stay behind, just magically removes unwanted scents.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:00 PM

Next time I am there I will ask someone else and see what they say.

I always assumed that they did wash all the clothes and fabric stuff - I would think the place would be crawling with bed bugs and all kinds of nasty stuff if they didn't. They have to be doing something to create that strong perfumey odor.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,258,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Next time I am there I will ask someone else and see what they say.

I always assumed that they did wash all the clothes and fabric stuff - I would think the place would be crawling with bed bugs and all kinds of nasty stuff if they didn't. They have to be doing something to create that strong perfumey odor.
You'd think, but nope, on the washing aspect.

It's pretty stupid actually to "sanitize" bedding related stuff yet not wash the clothing, since bedbugs can certainly hang out on clothing, purses, backpacks, etc. I guess it makes it look like they are doing something? I always assume the worst and wash and dry accordingly.

We had one Goodwill "outlet" clearance type store here where they sell stuff from other Goodwill stores but much cheaper, that refused to sell any bedding due to the bedbug issue. Some idiot manager's policy. No sheets, comforters, blankets, etc., but they sold nasty old couches. So dumb. People are largely uninformed about the bedbug thing anyway though so I am not surprised.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM

518 posts, read 667,143 times
The goodwill smell! So true, and I've never heard anyone else mention it. I just wash everything well. Thanks for the laugh

Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Lysol disinfectant in the wash. The Old School brown stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living