Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 PM

265 posts, read 534,800 times

Advertisements

This is the jacket I am selling--I honestly dont know the exact weight and dont have a measuring scale so ive enclosed a pic so could help get a better idea of the weight. just wondering approximately how much I should expect to pay in shipping AND what the CHEAPEST method I should use since im offering free? Ps. I am shipping from PA to Texas.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/a...Wb1yEQ0_12.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Cheap & Slow USPS Parcel post (standard post) . about $12 will take about 2 weeks to get there.

Apx 5 Pounds

Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Box it up, take it to the Post Office, and ask them what the cheapest method would be. Parcel Select will probably be the cheapest. UPS is generally higher than the USPS on these types of items in my experience.

As far as what it will cost, there's no way to guess just from looking at the picture. Sorry. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone who sees this will have the exact same jacket in the exact same size and they can weigh it for you.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Is it faux or real fur? That will make a big difference in weight.

Does your nearest post office have one of the self serve kiosks out in the lobby? You could weigh it there. I would definitely look for a soft packaging option, like a mail bag/poly bag over a box. If it is bigger/heavier/bulky (hard to tell from the pic) then you can go Priority Mail flat rate, $12 for the medium sized box. They can give you the appropriate box at the post office.

If it is a faux/lightweight jacket you might be better with a poly bag and parcel post. You can get something appropriate at an office supply store.

I sell a lot of clothing, generally it isn't much cheaper for me to go parcel, and I send most of it priority mail but that's usually lighter weight stuff. I use the flat rate boxes for heavier things like jeans, coats, etc.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
It's probably about 6 pounds once you get it packaged. It probably won't fit into a priority mail envelope from the P.O. so you would have to use your own large envelope for priority mail. The other way is just to use a flat rate priority mail box from the P.O. The rates went up at the beginning of the year but I think the flat rate is about $15.00, maybe less. The box is probably better anyway because it's more sturdy than an envelope. See if you can fit it into a medium flat rate box.

Postage Price Calculator You can use this link to figure out what to use although it would be better if you knew the weight.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
This is the jacket I am selling--I honestly dont know the exact weight and dont have a measuring scale so ive enclosed a pic so could help get a better idea of the weight. just wondering approximately how much I should expect to pay in shipping AND what the CHEAPEST method I should use since im offering free? Ps. I am shipping from PA to Texas.
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/a...Wb1yEQ0_12.jpg

You want the quickest way or the least expensive.
----------------------------------------------------------
If you have time, go to the USPS website and create an account. Then proceed to print a shipping label. Enter both addresses, etc.
At one point you'll get to a screen where you'll see which services are offered to you and the prices.
They have new boxes now, A box, B box, C box in different sizes. Two sizes for each of the regional boxes A-B-C. You have to order the boxes by phone and they are free. It takes maybe 2 weeks to get the boxes. Order only 5 since you only need one. Look at the list of costs it tells you and choose the size of A box or B box or C box you need and order that size.
I can ship a 3.5 pound item 3000 miles for $9.88 and free tracking number and insurance for the $75.00 value. I shipped that the other day so I remember the cost and the weight and distance.
Boxes A and B and C are for "online printed labels only" either through the USPS website or Paypal or Ebay. you can not get these special sizes boxes or rates by walking into the post office.
-----------------------------------
Note: Once you get to the screen where you can see the costs, you can stop the process and do not have to pay for and print the label, until you receive the boxes from the postal service and are ready to print the label.

If this is an Ebay item since you are giving free shipping, you can get the same low rates by paying for and creating the shipping label on Paypal.

Also, since you print the label at home, you save the fuel cost to drive to the post office because you can hand the package to your carrier because it has a pre-paid label on it.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Or, you can take it to UPS and they will weigh it and tell you which way is cheapest, UPS or USPS. You can package it yourself, or you can have it packaged there. It is cheaper to package it yourself, obviously.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 AM

176 posts, read 583,759 times
Go to eBay and look for the same type product. Then look at the shipping charges.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 PM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Post office is your best bet. package it well including putting it in a trash bag or something else water tight in case the box is left out on someones door step. you can get insurance, delivery confirmation, or require a signature.
I buy and sell trains on Ebay and due to cost I ship parcel post/select and box the item really well. They always give me all the options even though I ask for parcel post. They start with overnight for usually $40+ then the methods go down from there to the more affordable $15 or so which I had already charged the buyer.
Usually takes a week to arrive. The post office will give you all the options.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
You want the quickest way or the least expensive.
----------------------------------------------------------
If you have time, go to the USPS website and create an account. Then proceed to print a shipping label. Enter both addresses, etc.
At one point you'll get to a screen where you'll see which services are offered to you and the prices.
They have new boxes now, A box, B box, C box in different sizes. Two sizes for each of the regional boxes A-B-C. You have to order the boxes by phone and they are free. It takes maybe 2 weeks to get the boxes. Order only 5 since you only need one. Look at the list of costs it tells you and choose the size of A box or B box or C box you need and order that size.
I can ship a 3.5 pound item 3000 miles for $9.88 and free tracking number and insurance for the $75.00 value. I shipped that the other day so I remember the cost and the weight and distance.
Boxes A and B and C are for "online printed labels only" either through the USPS website or Paypal or Ebay. you can not get these special sizes boxes or rates by walking into the post office.
-----------------------------------
Note: Once you get to the screen where you can see the costs, you can stop the process and do not have to pay for and print the label, until you receive the boxes from the postal service and are ready to print the label.

If this is an Ebay item since you are giving free shipping, you can get the same low rates by paying for and creating the shipping label on Paypal.

Also, since you print the label at home, you save the fuel cost to drive to the post office because you can hand the package to your carrier because it has a pre-paid label on it.

What he said.
FYI heres how get the exact cost for the regional rate boxes.
Box A ships at the two pound rate per zone.
Box B ships at the four pound rate per zone.
Box C ships at the seventeen pound rate per zone. <But I don't know anybody who has ever used one >
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living