Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:10 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Secretly I'm attracted to 'Frugal' women. It is one of my biggest turn-ons, to find a smart money-minded female who knows the value of a dollar, who likes to use coupons, buys clothes only when they are on sale, only likes to eat out when there's a coupon or a special going on, and only vacations when there's a deal out there.

Of course I would never reveal this to anyone I'm dating otherwise I would be kicked to the curb but I do so want to find a frugal partner!

How important is the frugal trait in a relationship for you?
Oh, brother. I would have found you someone (as nice as you are) totally impossible. I am lucky because my husband and I are careful yet not cheap. We never argue, not once in close to 20 years, about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
How funny you gave those examples, because in my marriage now (I am married now to a woman), it's more like the stuff you mentioned. She never had a "pot to pee in" (as my Grandma would say) growing up so when we have money she just wants to go wild. I understand the temptation but she has learned how to find a balance between a small "treat" and blowing every extra penny. It was much worse when we first got together (a decade ago). I could see where she picked up the behaviors though; her mother lived paycheck to paycheck but she didn't need to.. she just spent every single penny, figuring she'd get a check next week anyway, and when she lost her long term job unexpectedly she had NO savings and couldn't pay her rent. When my wife was a kid though, her mother didn't work at all and they never had anything aside from what they got in food stamps.

Some people are willing to change, I guess, and some aren't. I am not some sort of saint with money but I see myself as somewhere in the middle, with regard to attitude, between my 1st spouse and my 2nd.

My ex husband is now in his early 50s and living off of his parents. He doesn't live with them, because that would be "embarrassing" for them, but he lives in an apartment that they pay for and he has still never had to really cut back or adapt to a different lifestyle. Every family handles money differently, but in his family, any problems are "handled" by throwing money at the issue which explains why they 'handle' his issues this way I guess.

I don't think that marriage problems are about money. That's a cover for just flat out personality clashes. You have to really know what you want. You also have to be a not-selfish person to have a successful marriage. You think of WE and not me me me.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I think that having a spouse who shares the same view makes life much easier. My wife and I are both frugal. We met each other in college. We are so compatible when it comes to money that we have a joint account since we first started dating. We don't care for jewelries, fancy cars or clothes. We live modestly and save half of our income despite working in jobs that don't pay so well.
I don't know. I think that it is bad news if being frugal is #1 on the list, or #2 or 3. Just expect your spouse to not be a spend thrift, that's all.

A lot of the people I read on this frugal section seem to be nut jobs.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's absolutely wonderful to have a financially sensible partner.
Of course, any time you share the same values, your relationship tends to be a bit easier and stronger.
My brother's ex wife was frugal - but perhaps too frugal. Like there were definitely times she made her life a lot harder than it had to be just to save a few bucks. There needs to not be extremism.
Exactly.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I don't think that marriage problems are about money. That's a cover for just flat out personality clashes. You have to really know what you want. You also have to be a not-selfish person to have a successful marriage. You think of WE and not me me me.
Problems with handling money are usually a symptom of other issues.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I think that it is bad news if being frugal is #1 on the list, or #2 or 3. Just expect your spouse to not be a spend thrift, that's all.

A lot of the people I read on this frugal section seem to be nut jobs.
That's YOUR value system. I'm not necessarily knocking it. But everyone has different values and priorities. Some people want to become financially independent so they won't become stuck working in some soulless corporate job until they're 60 or 65 (and often they're discarded like used tissues from Corporate America long before they hit age 60). That means they have to give up a lot of other things in order to achieve that. If you are going to marry someone, you have to be clear about your values and priorities up front. For you, that means "not being a spendthrift". But even that is a very vague term that means different things to different people.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Problems with handling money are usually a symptom of other issues.

I totally agree. I get frustrated when the focus is on a couple's "conflicts over spending" because I know it is not the issue at all.

A marriage is based on trust, respect, effortless self sacrifice (an oxymoron except when you are living it and know it to be true), a shared meaning of life, etc.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's YOUR value system. I'm not necessarily knocking it. But everyone has different values and priorities. Some people want to become financially independent so they won't become stuck working in some soulless corporate job until they're 60 or 65 (and often they're discarded like used tissues from Corporate America long before they hit age 60). That means they have to give up a lot of other things in order to achieve that. If you are going to marry someone, you have to be clear about your values and priorities up front. For you, that means "not being a spendthrift". But even that is a very vague term that means different things to different people.
Read this post: This is the thing you need to think about, not money issues:

Originally Posted by mysticaltyger
<<Problems with handling money are usually a symptom of other issues.>>

Frankly, I get scared when I read posts like yours. I am assuming that you are a very nice person. However, the need to even THINK about what you are writing is really worrisome.

Forget about the obsessing about who is frugal and whom one will marry based on that. Think instead about who is a caring, responsible, intelligent person with moral integrity and a personality one just clicks with. For starters. Don't even think of the money part. If they are responsible and intelligent, they will use money correctly and plan for the future in a fairly relaxed manner.

Speaking as a happily married older person.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:44 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Generally marriage problems are not caused by money. they are caused by lack of money.

Actually we have the opposite problem. My wife and i are into the same things like photography.

We have no adult supervision at all. It is like we have no one to tell us we should not be spending what we do on gear.

A normal situation would have the wife saying don't you dare buy a 2,000 dollar lens.

Now we end up buying two.

I guess it is a good problem to have but sometimes i wish we had that grown up to reel us in.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Forget about the obsessing about who is frugal and whom one will marry based on that. Think instead about who is a caring, responsible, intelligent person with moral integrity and a personality one just clicks with. For starters. Don't even think of the money part. If they are responsible and intelligent, they will use money correctly and plan for the future in a fairly relaxed manner.

Speaking as a happily married older person.
Sorry, but life is not that simple in my experience. There are a lot of really good people who are bad with money. I lived it first hand. I have an ex who was sexually abused as a child and this very much affected his self esteem and the way he handled money. He was/is the type of person to go the extra mile for other people while neglecting himself. Unfortunately, because of self neglect, he prematurely ruined his health and he's now in his early 60s and struggling financially because he never saved. Some people he tried to help but they never changed. Others he helped turn their lives around at great personal cost. Was he irresponsible? Sometimes. But other times he really walked the talk...a perfect example of what all the world's major religions teach. So he was both extremes all rolled into one. I couldn't handle the extremes.

There are also lots of nice people who have different priorities in life. Like I said, some folks would rather skip having kids and saving 1/3 or more of their incomes so they can get out of the rat race by age 50 or sooner. Others want children and are willing to work more and save less to accomplish that. Both fall within the range of "responsible" but they are still very different goals and priorities.

Also, in my experience, there are not that many people who "use money correctly and plan for the future in a fairly relaxed manner" and the statistics on the % of people who could survive above the poverty level without Social Security by retirement age pretty much bears that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living