Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkdude1 View Post
- coffee and bottled water just about every day (love my morning fluids)

- money on alcohol (i know it sounds bad), but i like good beers and relatively cheap wine

- good steak out at a restaurant every weekend (just to get through the week) some times i lose it

- whole foods, i love shopping there, but it's just so damn expensive, i am a very healthy eater, organics

- car, love to travel, put 20,000 miles on my new car in less than 1 year of ownership

how can i be more frugal? i take home 4,000 a month (37% goes to rent), but feel like i can't save anything

please help
there is a lot to be cut from that list and its not exactly rocket science. if you want to save more, start cutting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
If you're employed, does your workplace have free coffee in the breakroom?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:08 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkdude1 View Post
I do a lot of cooking, and I know I spend way too much money on ingredients. I just can't seem to find good quality stuff and regular grocery stores, always end up at WF or TJ.

Maybe I should join costco...
Okay, this I can relate to! Although I don't live close to a Whole Foods, I do have to hunt and peck around this county and the next for decent cheese, avocados, good cuts of meat and the like. I'm usually out thirty to forty bucks before I even leave the produce isle. I try to get to the butcher every other month, and that's at least eighty to a hundred. It isn't cheap to eat well, unfortunately.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Okay, this I can relate to! Although I don't live close to a Whole Foods, I do have to hunt and peck around this county and the next for decent cheese, avocados, good cuts of meat and the like. I'm usually out thirty to forty bucks before I even leave the produce isle. I try to get to the butcher every other month, and that's at least eighty to a hundred. It isn't cheap to eat well, unfortunately.
you gotta look for sales. I go to a market near me that's very expensive for most stuff but its some kind of farmer type place and the produce is high quality and its always well priced but there are always some cheap stuff also. its not organic that im aware of, so if that's what someone means by high quality then I guess you are out of luck.

this is the market, specifically their weekly specials: http://www.dearbornmarket.com/saving...ekly-specials/

Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I drink the free coffee at work, and I have a reusable water bottle that I fill up at work (they provide water as well) and use throughout the day. At home we've bought a Britta filter.

It's cheaper to buy steak and cook it at home if you know how to. I've perfected it at home over time $10 for filet mignon is much better than $30+.

Groupon is great, I can try new places for cheaper prices as well

Old 06-23-2013, 08:49 PM

335 posts, read 670,147 times
if they are your favorite things then you are not wasting money you are investing in your enjoyment of life. Just don't go over board with the things you like

Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
If you really wanted to save, you would do it. You won't do it until you really want to.
This brings up a good point. It helps to have reasons/motivations for saving. The best motivation is because you want to buy yourself flexibility and freedom from:

--Having to work until you are dead or disabled. (I have seen this and it's not pretty).
--The ability to walk away from a job you don't like.
--The ability to take a job that might pay less but that you like better.
--You want a lower stress way of life. (And that almost always means avoiding debt except for maybe a modest mortgage, as well as having savings). A lot of physical and mental health issues are tied to high debts.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,872,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This brings up a good point. It helps to have reasons/motivations for saving. The best motivation is because you want to buy yourself flexibility and freedom from:

--Having to work until you are dead or disabled. (I have seen this and it's not pretty).
--The ability to walk away from a job you don't like.
--The ability to take a job that might pay less but that you like better.
--You want a lower stress way of life. (And that almost always means avoiding debt except for maybe a modest mortgage, as well as having savings). A lot of physical and mental health issues are tied to high debts.

Great point. You have to be motivated, have a plan and work the plan in life...whatever your goals are.
The financial part of your lifeplan is only one part of the master plan. Take your income, work backwards from your fixed expenses (student loans, car loans, credit card payments, etc..) identify how much you would like to put into savings (direct deposit each month) and then evaluate the areas with flexibility - if you rent, you could consider moving or downsizing - food costs - entertainment, etc.. Once you know how much "allowance" you have left, you can do everything you listed but maybe with less frequency or in smarter ways, like some have listed previously in this thread.

Some folks have a very high tolerance for sacrificing now in order to secure a better retirement. I used to feel that way until I had a cancer scare. I was very grateful that I had saved $$ and could recover without worrying too much about reduced income. However, I also realized that enjoying your life as you live it is soooo important. None of us are guaranteed to make it to retirement age or to be able to enjoy those years in good health. I've loosened up ALOT and have really been savoring life experiences like never before.

Life is not a dress rehearsal....live out loud now while you have the chance. I'm convinced you can be fiscally responsible and still enjoy life fully!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
However, I also realized that enjoying your life as you live it is soooo important. None of us are guaranteed to make it to retirement age or to be able to enjoy those years in good health. I've loosened up ALOT and have really been savoring life experiences like never before.

Life is not a dress rehearsal....live out loud now while you have the chance. I'm convinced you can be fiscally responsible and still enjoy life fully!!!
Yep, I think it comes down to balance. I sometimes obsess over saving money too( for a future that's guaranteed to no-one), but as you allude to, we only get one shot at life. Every day that passes is one we'll never get back.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:07 PM

34 posts, read 69,161 times
This could be a major life change for some. Start small and work on one item on your list - master it and then work on the others. Like for steaks, shop in the grocery store for on sale items (steaks always go on sale) and get a portable grill and make your own. You can pick up a george foreman grill for cheap or other hibachi grill and save alot in the long run on steaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living