Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Not in Virginia. Not only did the legislature require revelation of the winners names/locations, the lottery folks decided to take that a step further (with no overt authorization from the legislature) and require you to allow them to take photos of you AND to publish all on the internet (the law only requires that names and locations (not addresses) be "available"). Note that only real people (er...natural persons?) can win in Virginia so no trust funds can be set up to claim the prize directly.

No anonymity allowed.
Followup to this - as not unexpected, the lottery folks' policy of WEB-publishing winner names and locations has backfired on them and the poor winners - some Bad Guy entity has (per the Virginia Lottery website):

Quote:
...We became aware that lists of recent promotion winners were being used in an unauthorized manner. We've temporarily removed the lists from our site...
Virginia Lottery's Hidden Confession Web Page

Way to go Virginia Lottery!

Bozos.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:17 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Not in Virginia. Not only did the legislature require revelation of the winners names/locations, the lottery folks decided to take that a step further (with no overt authorization from the legislature) and require you to allow them to take photos of you AND to publish all on the internet (the law only requires that names and locations (not addresses) be "available"). Note that only real people (er...natural persons?) can win in Virginia so no trust funds can be set up to claim the prize directly.
Assuming you've revealed your location, is permanently moving away to Tahiti, Brazil, Greece, or some other exotic locale after a month an option?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Assuming you've revealed your location, is permanently moving away to Tahiti, Brazil, Greece, or some other exotic locale after a month an option?
With $50-ish million you can go live anywhere ya want!

Maybe even an exotic location like...Little Rock!

[AFTER claiming the prize it would be strongly advised NOT to live whereever you did live at that moment...]

Old 08-10-2013, 08:26 AM

305 posts, read 416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxine View Post
I'd probably die from the shock of winning.
Yeah me too.
But anyways Id buy a home asap to get out of this damn hotel. Then buy another place downtown Atlanta somehwere. Ill NEVER be bored. Then probably get a place in san fran since my sisters dream is to be there. Then give her like several mils for colllege and whatever else. Then Id probably fund my whole family. Donate a good amount since I know all too well how it feels to be poor. Then of course use some of it to travel etc. Oh and by the best car ever. And also get a vette for my gramas friend whos dying and always wanted to drive one. Thatd be cool. Oh yeah and buy me a condo or whatever in every huge city. Then give them to each of my friends who hate living with their parebts or are awesome. Oh and id finally be able to see my bros in Australia too. And of course, go to University, cause debt and money wont be a worry.
And last but not least, but the best tickets money can buy to every damn Falcons and Braves game , and even fly to every away vame and get the best seats there too. Even though im 19 , after being poor so long I could die happy just after 6 months with this money. ITD BE AWESOME!
Basically something that would never happen to any of us. Now im kinda mad v.v
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living