Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:51 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Advertisements

Wow, you do certainly spend a lot of money on entertainment. But, I can't believe how low your food budget is! That equals out to like $40 a week, you need to start a thread on how to do that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calitransplant27 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a single mom who is always looking for finance tips. Please take a look at my budget and give me some ideas. I have a 3 yr old btw.

Income after taxes $2792

Monthly svgs $200

Bills 2465
Mortgage (incl tax, ins, pmi) 1020
Daycare 560
Utilities 145
Internet 30
Student loan 100
Gas 200
Groceries 150
Entertainment 160
Clothing (me & my daughter) 50
Lawncare (just in the summer) 50

I pay my car ins every six months in full, using a bonus in feb and the extra check in August.

I have $7600 in savings.
To me the utilities seem pretty high, my electric bill is about $50 to $60 a month and you could cut the entertainment if you want to save money -- $160 a month on entertainment seems like a lot when you already have internet. Clothing costs can be cut and I'd do my own lawncare.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calitransplant27 View Post
Hi all,
Critique my budget please

Looks good to me, mom. You're doing a heck of a job raising a 3-yr old, working, and saving what you do.

Just remember to reward yourself once-in-awhile. Do something nice for yourself -

Old 06-30-2013, 08:15 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
To me the utilities seem pretty high, my electric bill is about $50 to $60 a month and you could cut the entertainment if you want to save money -- $160 a month on entertainment seems like a lot when you already have internet. Clothing costs can be cut and I'd do my own lawncare.
Here I was thinking her utilities and Internet seemed quite low. Where do y'all live where the electric bill is that low? I'm envious. Also, how in the world does the OP keep the grocery bill that low? Wow! I'd probably cut the entertainment a bit, but I'm not sure what all is going into that amount. Clothing looks reasonable to me but then I think that my area can be a bit more pricey. Lawn care - that's a hard one. For some it's absolutely worth every penny to pay to have it done, others enjoy doing it themselves. In my area, it's hard to find clothes at thrift stores that shouldn't be thrown in the rag bag, especially for children. My mom's area, however, has some nice clothes in the thrift stores so clothing budget may be indicative of the area the OP lives in, especially if she needs a certain look for work.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:53 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
Here I was thinking her utilities and Internet seemed quite low. Where do y'all live where the electric bill is that low? I'm envious. Also, how in the world does the OP keep the grocery bill that low? Wow! I'd probably cut the entertainment a bit, but I'm not sure what all is going into that amount. Clothing looks reasonable to me but then I think that my area can be a bit more pricey. Lawn care - that's a hard one. For some it's absolutely worth every penny to pay to have it done, others enjoy doing it themselves. In my area, it's hard to find clothes at thrift stores that shouldn't be thrown in the rag bag, especially for children. My mom's area, however, has some nice clothes in the thrift stores so clothing budget may be indicative of the area the OP lives in, especially if she needs a certain look for work.
OP has a toddler - some things can be really tough or almost impossible to do while keeping a toddler safe. I don't know what the OP's yard is like but our front yard had no fence, and taking care of it requires mowing (which could throw debris), trimming with power tools and application of chemicals from time to time.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
I see room to cut costs in the entertainment category and clothing. Especially if that entertainment budget includes doing stuff with your kid. There are so many free things geared towards kids at that age -- if your town has a local free magazine geared towards parents (most do) there are usually a ton of listings for free musical events, plays, craft days, etc. Our town has free museum days once a week, free movies in the park, Saturday morning crafts for parents & kids to do together, and so on. If you start looking for those sorts of things you could cut those costs considerably while still leaving some cushion for entertainment spending.

I also save a ton on clothing via thrift shopping for everyone in our family. I average $150 or less, per kid per YEAR by thrift shopping and I still buy new undies/socks/shoes and all total it is usually under $200.

I agree about the other comments regarding utilities at $50 or $60 a month. Wow, where!? I have never had an electric bill under $100 and that was years ago, in winter (doesn't get that cold here) when my kids were gone to see their father for 2 weeks out of the month. I pretty much expect $150 and usually $200 to $250 during the hot months which is half the year here.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:29 PM

769 posts, read 976,609 times
The only thing that I would look into cutting is the clothing. I am a big thrift store and yard sale shopper. Especially since your munchkin is so young she is probably blasting through sizes quickly.

My exboyfriend used to give me BS about shopping at thrift stores and yard sales for clothes but i hate to pay full retail for clothes.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Mortgage versus income looks inline with most financial planner's recommendations.

What Percentage of Income Can You Afford for Mortgage Payments? - Money Under 30

Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 AM

104 posts, read 420,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Your food bill is very low, and everything else within reason. The killer is your mortgage coupled with day care. Do you have an extra bedroom you could rent out to a room mate? Then I would take that rent and get rid of your student loan as soon as possible. Try and cut back on your driving and when the time comes get a another car based on good gas mileage. I think you should be able to trim your entertainment by at least $60 a month. What do you do that costs so much? Can't you find another outlet for entertainment that doesn't involve much cost? I think your clothes budget is in line since you work and you have a child.
However, I would not discount checking out the thrift shops for clothes for you and your child.

A great savings can be had there. Also toys can be picked up for a song as well as well as bikes, scooters etc. When they are young they don't know the difference between brand new and slightly used. Will still make them happy. Find some thrift shops in upscale areas if you can. You can even furnish a home if you have a good eye, stop in frequently, and find one in good area. (this takes some time though) I've gotten good vacuum cleaners there, dishes, almost new sofa's, nice outdoor patio sets, dressers that I sometimes paint, and all sorts of things. I buy all my dogs stuffed animals there. Usually for $1 to $1.50 ea. Much better than paying $6 or $7.00 for one at Wall mart, that doesn't last any longer anyway.
I do have an extra room but that is used by my parents a few times a month when they come up. I do shop thrift stores for myself, but I just feel funny about buying my child's clothes there. Weird I know. Prob need to get over that one.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 AM

104 posts, read 420,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Looks good to me, mom. You're doing a heck of a job raising a 3-yr old, working, and saving what you do.

Just remember to reward yourself once-in-awhile. Do something nice for yourself -
Thank you!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living